WBB: Northwest Conference

Started by swiss, March 07, 2005, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruinFan

Yes Manny, I think both teams are capable of competing well against every potential opponent.

I'm torn on the UPS vs. CMS game on Friday. A win by UPS helps the status of the Northwest Conference, but I really don't won't George Fox to have to play them again.

I think CMS is stronger than previous recent champions from that conference, but UPS should still be a slight favorite.

mkt

A belated thought about George Fox's recent victories over Whitman and UPS:  both games saw George Fox's pressure defense take a heavy toll early in the game.  Whitman was especially flummoxed, falling behind by as much as 38-12 and committing 10 turnovers in the first half (compared to 4 for the Bruins).  But after that they played better and outscored the Bruins in the second half, although the game was pretty well under the Bruins' control by then.

UPS was able to get the ball out of backcourt more easily and quickly and never fell behind by more than 33-20.  But they ran into George Fox's defensive buzzsaw in the frontcourt, and ended the first half with 16 turnovers to the Bruins' 3.  But again in the second half the Bruins were outscored and the points margin stayed between 3 and 10 points throughout the second half.

Both Whitman and UPS are veteran, tough teams.  They went toe-to-toe with George Fox in their second halves and were fully competitive.  But the defensive pressure by George Fox in the first half of both games was decisive.  Watching the games, I didn't detect anything special or different, but I wonder if Coach Meek was unleashing new and unexpected defensive wrinkles, which caught Whitman and UPS by surprise until they were able to better deal with the defense in the second half?

A similar question then applies to the tournament games.  George Fox's opponents will undoubtedly know that the Bruins play very tough pressure defense.  But will they have video and scouting reports that will enable them to practice against that sort of defense as they prepare to face the Bruins?  Especially if Coach Meek is now unleashing a stash of secret weapon defenses that even his experienced NWC rivals weren't ready for?

Or were there no special tactics, just good execution, in the first halves of the Whitman and UPS games?

Although the biggest mistake that one can make is to underestimate one's opponent, I'm fully expecting a George Fox victory in the first round, and they might not even have to unleash all of their defensive tactics against PSU Abington.  I expect that UPS will handle Claremont-Mudd-Scripps as well -- but if CMS does win and face George Fox in the second round, they'll be somewhat familiar because George Fox travelled to southern California this December and beat CMS by 15.   But I think it's possible that the Bruins will be able to show CMS some defensive wrinkles that they didn't see in December.

The more likely outcome is UPS vs George Fox yet again.  George Fox easily the favorite, but that NWC final game, even though led by George Fox for almost all of the game, was still up for grabs with less than a minute left.  UPS is very tough, and I'm guessing has by now seen all of the weapons in the Bruins' armory.  So I expect it to come down to execution more than tactics.  A game very much worth watching, if indeed that is what the second round matchup is.

silentk

I am happy and sad about tonight's match up between GFU and UPS.  I'm happy that two NWC teams made it to the second round but I wish they didn't have to play each other for the fourth time this season.  They are both better than being knocked out in the second round in my opinion.  It's hard to beat the same team four times in one season and it's hard to beat a team that's beat you the first three times.  I completely get why they are playing each other but it's just unfortunate.
I went to both games at GFU yesterday and it was interesting to see UPS do the same thing to CMS that they did to GFU in the NWC Championship Game (getting beat in the first half and coming back in the second).
GFU played later in the evening but the starters are way more rested than UPS.  The GFU starters played an average of 17 minutes last night.  The UPS starters played an average of 31.6 minutes.  It should be an interesting match up. Good luck to both NWC teams!

BruinFan

I agree with your sentiments silentk about the conference having no opportunity to have two teams advance to a sectional. UPS loses 5 games all year and four of them were to George Fox. Two of those games were decided by 4 and 5 points respectively.

Does anyone know when and how to learn who will be hosting the sectionals?
I would love to be wrong, but I assume that George Fox and which ever Texas team wins today will be sent to either Calvin or DePauw. It will be interesting to see which one is selected given that Calvin is hosting the Final 4. Fans have lots of opinions about this, but it does not appear that the predetermined Final 4 host is a part of any official criteria for the selection committee when determining the sectional hosts.

silentk

I'm hoping that NCAA will pony up and send everyone out to GFU.  I know it's a long shot but they have to fly at least two teams so they could fly three and have them come to Newberg.

I do think I was right about minutes the previous night factoring into the game.  Many of the UPS players looked tired at the game.

Congrats to both NWC teams on great seasons!

Roundball999

Quote from: silentk on March 08, 2015, 01:17:54 PM
I'm hoping that NCAA will pony up and send everyone out to GFU.  I know it's a long shot but they have to fly at least two teams so they could fly three and have them come to Newberg.

I do think I was right about minutes the previous night factoring into the game.  Many of the UPS players looked tired at the game.

Looks like they're going to Calvin for next round.

silentk

Quote from: Roundball999 on March 08, 2015, 01:20:06 PM
Quote from: silentk on March 08, 2015, 01:17:54 PM

Looks like they're going to Calvin for next round.
It doesn't shock me.  I was just hoping since Calvin is hosting the Final 4 that they wouldn't give it to them.

BruinFan

The Bruins are off to Michigan!  Great job last weekend with the wins in rounds 1 and 2. Stay focused and play your game.

BruinFan

Whewww - a nailbiter and the Bruins came away with the win!  Now they have a chance to watch their next opponent in person and settled down for a tough one tomorrow. UT-Dallas represented very well and pushed George Fox to the very end.

realist

Great win for GF.  What did you think of the VNA?, and what did you think of Calvin vs, the Tigers?
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

DBQ1965

Saw two good games tonight at Calvin.  GFU played tough against UTD.  Met a GFU family ... won't name them lest I jinx the player tomorrow night ... but they were good folk.  Calvin had their hands full with Depauw's pressure defense but pulled away with about 6 minutes to go.  Tomorrow's game should be good.  It may come down to who expended the most energy tonight.  GFU and Calvin both move the ball well ... play disciplined offense ... it may well come down to who is hot on the threes.  I lean toward toward the underdog ... who ever that will be ... the home court Knights or the higher ranked Bruins.  Should be a heck of a game.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

D O.C.

NWCSportsFan

Having trouble getting video of GF-Calvin game.  Anyone else?

DBQ1965

GFU up by 6 at the half.  Calvin having trouble with the pressure defense. Second half should be interesting.

DBQ1965

15:56 second half.GFU 43 Calvin 29