Pool C -- 2014

Started by wally_wabash, October 14, 2014, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d-train

If Redlands wins the SCIAC, I'm not sure it matters (as they played both UMHB and Linfield). Chapman at UMHB would be a fresh match-up.

GillCJ1

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

D3MAFAN

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 30, 2014, 10:22:30 AM
Quote from: cave2bens on October 30, 2014, 08:50:14 AM
Quote from: bashgiant on October 30, 2014, 07:30:33 AM

Now if Stevens Point drops out of the last Pool C spot and a team not in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area takes it that would free up some flexibility. Platteville could move over and face C-M, Trine to Mount Union, Franklin to Wabash, Chris Newport to Wesley, and so on.
pose a threat
The Franklin Wabash match up would be interesting.

Projections are interesting fodder and if Wabash's remaining schedule consisted of NCAC bottom-dwellers everyone is seemingly on track.  There are three games to play out, and though Hiram may not pose a major threat a summary dismissal of DePauw (as a spoiler which has happened before  :o) or Wittenberg (still unbeaten in DIII matches) on these recent pages might be premature.  Post season inclusion is dependent on LG victories in back to back rivalry games - and this old geezer believes in that positive outcome but forty-six years of history is always in the back of his feeble brain.  ;)  WAF   

No dismissing anybody or anything...nothing is in ink here.   :)

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on October 30, 2014, 10:07:44 AM
I believe if St. John Fisher goes 9-1, they would definitely have a home game, I see it as

MIT @ St. John Fisher
Husson @ Hobart
Montclair State @ Washington & Jefferson

I would probably guess that 9-1 SJF with a conference championship plays a home game also.  Husson can't go Hobart without flying, so that's probably right out.  Right now it's hard to see Husson playing anybody other than Montclair State.

Well the NCAA need to move that game about a hour east to neutral site to save cost. I am sure the Hobart faithful will still show up.

wally_wabash

How much cost gets saved having to rent out a neutral site stadium and now having to spring for travel for two teams instead of one? Come on now. I know we're all in the hypothetical here, but let's try to color inside the lines.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

firstdown

Quote from: cave2bens on October 30, 2014, 08:50:14 AM
Quote from: bashgiant on October 30, 2014, 07:30:33 AM

Now if Stevens Point drops out of the last Pool C spot and a team not in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area takes it that would free up some flexibility. Platteville could move over and face C-M, Trine to Mount Union, Franklin to Wabash, Chris Newport to Wesley, and so on.
pose a threat
The Franklin Wabash match up would be interesting.

Projections are interesting fodder and if Wabash's remaining schedule consisted of NCAC bottom-dwellers everyone is seemingly on track.  There are three games to play out, and though Hiram may not pose a major threat a summary dismissal of DePauw (as a spoiler which has happened before  :o) or Wittenberg (still unbeaten in DIII matches) on these recent pages might be premature.  Post season inclusion is dependent on LG victories in back to back rivalry games - and this old geezer believes in that positive outcome but forty-six years of history is always in the back of his feeble brain.  ;)  WAF

The LG's know that they have 3 tough games ahead of them to get to the playoff's.  Their focus is totally on the game with Hiram this weekend.  We are all glad to see Hiram's turn around which is good for the NCAC.  That having been said, the LG's are preparing for this Saturday against a much improved Hiram team.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 30, 2014, 12:28:42 PM
How much cost gets saved having to rent out a neutral site stadium and now having to spring for travel for two teams instead of one? Come on now. I know we're all in the hypothetical here, but let's try to color inside the lines.

Honestly, there have been sight site changes due to field conditions, I am pretty sure there is a field that could accommodate both teams and fans according to NCAA regulations that is only about an hour east of Geneva, which surely would be within 500 miles of Bangor, ME. There really wouldn't be no hotel cost on Hobart, the only cost would be for the Bus. Aren't all playoff games NCAA events and normal pricing is according to the NCAA established rates. I think the cheapest  flight for 72 individuals would be around $50,000.

ITH radio

Its less than 500 miles from Bangor to Montclair.  I suppose if MIT went 10-0 they could host Husson in Rd 1 too.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

wally_wabash

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on October 30, 2014, 01:21:04 PM

Honestly, there have been sight site changes due to field conditions, I am pretty sure there is a field that could accommodate both teams and fans according to NCAA regulations that is only about an hour east of Geneva, which surely would be within 500 miles of Bangor, ME. There really wouldn't be no hotel cost on Hobart, the only cost would be for the Bus. Aren't all playoff games NCAA events and normal pricing is according to the NCAA established rates. I think the cheapest  flight for 72 individuals would be around $50,000.

I mean, just no.  This isn't even a possibility.  I'm not aware of any precedent for the NCAA to play games at neutral sites during the first four rounds of the tournament.  It just doesn't happen. 

Why would Hobart, or anybody for that matter, forgo a home game in the postseason to accommodate a visitor?  You play all season to accumulate enough wins to play those games on your own field. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

The only way a team qualified to host won't get a home game is if they don't apply for it or the NCAA rejects them. I find those scenarios unlikely, especially the former.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 30, 2014, 01:47:33 PM

I mean, just no.  This isn't even a possibility.  I'm not aware of any precedent for the NCAA to play games at neutral sites during the first four rounds of the tournament.  It just doesn't happen. 

Why would Hobart, or anybody for that matter, forgo a home game in the postseason to accommodate a visitor?  You play all season to accumulate enough wins to play those games on your own field. As ITH Radio mentioned, MIT would be the best bet to host, especially if they go undefeated, seeding gets trumped for travel purposes.

I did some research and found some data regarding policies...http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf (page 9). However, you are right, couldn't find data regarding a host institution using a neutral site to accommodate a visiting team due to budget constraints by the NCAA, especially if it is no benefit to the Host institution.

USee

Why would Hobart, or anybody for that matter, forgo a home game in the postseason to accommodate a visitor?  You play all season to accumulate enough wins to play those games on your own field.

Wheaton played @Franklin in 2008 at a local high school near Franklin due to field conditions. Not necessarily neutral, but it was not at Franklin.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: USee on October 30, 2014, 03:02:58 PM

Wheaton played @Franklin in 2008 at a local high school near Franklin due to field conditions. Not necessarily neutral, but it was not at Franklin.
Franklin had been on the road the first two rounds of the playoffs and ended up playing at Franklin HS which is a couple miles away

I wonder if Texas Lutheran drops out and Chapman goes to UMHB could perhaps Husson end up at Linfield in round 1?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

wabndy

Quote from: smedindy on October 30, 2014, 02:20:35 PM
The only way a team qualified to host won't get a home game is if they don't apply for it or the NCAA rejects them. I find those scenarios unlikely, especially the former.
Remember that these playoff host selection criteria pretty much cut across all of D3 sports.  Not every school may have the nessecary equipment and facilities to host every sport for which they play.  I remember being at one D3 school in Ohio many years ago for a basketball game and they did not have a regulation sized basketball court. 
I'm also sure its happened from time to time that a school's athletic department neglects to timely mail in the playoff hosting application form.  #nightmaresthatmakesidswakeupinacoldsweat

smedindy

I do know it happens in other sports; I was speaking football specifically. In basketball, it's a little more common because a school needs the facilities to host four teams and their fans. Gym size and locker rooms can be a struggle for some.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Something to keep in mind... the NCAA is dealing with a major budget deficit and there are a lot of cost-cutting items on the table mainly all in the championship side of things (since 75% of the Division III budget goes to championships). I wouldn't even think about ideas where the NCAA will send a team like Husson to Linfield in the early rounds because maybe it would work. They aren't going to do it. Start thinking as much regionally and within 500 miles as you can and don't even bet on a flight unless they have no choice - and even then think short flights to save on fuel costs. Every team in football has to have a chartered flight due to the size of the teams, so the costs are also higher as a result.

Another thing to keep in mind, a team could decide to host at another location if they so choose, but if the NCAA doesn't like the budget proposed in the hosting papers they can either reject the bid or tell the school they are only paying for a certain amount. I bet the Franklin situation came up as being hosted elsewhere after the hosting was awarded - during the week. I highly doubt the NCAA would approve a site knowing it would be moved anyway, unless Franklin's bid was for the high school field in the first place.

Bottom line... keep your expectations for spending as low as you can and when they spend a little more or spring for a flight that was only a dream... you can be pleasantly surprised.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.