FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CardinalAlum and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

DBQ1965

Quote from: irisheagle on November 21, 2012, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 21, 2012, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: emma17 on November 21, 2012, 12:09:47 PM
Thanksgiving day football for me was Father and Son games.  Damn I miss that stuff.
Now my exercise is the Turkey Trot (trot seems a bit fast too).

My Turkey Trot will be in Grand Rapids, MI. ... where will yours be?

Ill be in grand rapids as well, forest hills area where im from. Good luck jays and cards.

Cascade here.  Kids went to FHC.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

bluejay4ever

For the Jays fans who cannot make it to the game it will be on the TV's at Doc Ryan's in Elmhurst.

Gobble gobble
Love Me Some Negative Karma!

ncc58

Quote from: 79jaybird on November 21, 2012, 12:32:35 PM
My HS coach at Prospect was J. Nudera.  While the school would be off for the Jewish September holidays, we would be practicing and his reasoning was just that... you want to be playing and practicing deep into the regular/post season.  Don't know if I will have access to email this week so I will say it now.

Good luck to both CCIW teams this weekend and safe holiday travels to all.

Jim was your coach? Make me feel old, he was one of my teammates.

ncc58

I still don't think that the Linfield guys have made one post here that has to do with Saturday's game.  ;D :D ;) :)

Add to add a few emoticons, in case they skip posts that don't have at least three.

ncc_fan

And the St. Thomas guys are mute even on the MIAC board, the denizens of which are so consumed with the news from SJU that they have seemingly forgotten their two playoff teams.

D O.C.

Here's a post we can do without from 2005 from a LINFIELD fan.

QuoteAs a Linfield fan who has been to almost every game the last few years, and a long time reader of Post Patterns I am very excited for this year's playoffs.  Mainly because I believe it is an opportunity for Linfield to make a decisive statement about their high quality of play, and prove it against the top programs in D3. If they win it this year they have a chance to exorcise some demons of St John's, silence any doubters at UMHB, and possibly have a dream match up against Mt Union.  This has got me so fired I decided to post here for the first time. 

I've noticed guys like Kenneth K and others asking for opinions on match ups, advantages, and strengths/weakness of Linfield's #1 scoring offense by those who have seen the Wildcats play on a weekly basis. Since Kenneth and these folks don't get the opportunity to see them play in person. I figured I would give them a description of our team's offensive strategy and basic philosophy and let them form their own opinions on how to beat Linfield.  Yes, Brett Elliot is the most crucial player in Linfield's offensive system .  However, the Linfield coaching staff as done an excellent job of designing a scheme that maximizes the strengths and talents of the players they have.  Feel free to add or refute anything I have mentioned, I'm just trying to enlighten those who haven't had the opportunity to see the #1 team play so they know what to look, or listen, for in the playoffs..  I for one, enjoy the strategy of the game and the subtle adjustments which make the difference in winning and losing.  I figured others might as well.

My obervations of Linfield Offense:   Linfield's offense is essentially an ace back scheme with 3-4 wide receivers in multiple formations.  The basic philosophy is to attack the outside edges of the defense. Since the arrival of BE, the high percentage short to intermediate passing game as the primary offensive weapon, however many scores come off of deep passes as secondaries start to get tired of getting pecked away on the shorter routes.  The majority of the patterns one can expect are short crossing routs, quick outs, slant patterns, short to intermediate hooks, and bubble screens to receivers ( the latter of which I believe is Linfield's true bread and butter...more on that in a bit).  The running game has been less of a focus in the last 2 years (for obvious reasons), and in my opinion is primarily used to counter pass rush pressure and also implemented when the linebackers get too spread out trying to get under the recievers on short outside passes.     

As mentioned above, it is my opinion that the "bubble screen" to the wide outs is essentially the bread and butter of the Linfield offense.  Often times you will see them use it 5+ times a game in crucial situations when they need sure yardage to extend a drive.  Elliot can take one step, fire a quick accurate pass down the line of scrimmage to the 2 receiver side, long before he feels any pressure (which accounts for his few sacks and high efficiency).  The receivers are very well coached at blocking down field, an underrated aspect of the Linfield's offense.  Linfield receivers are physical and strong; often out sizing the opposing DBs (see C. Allen 220lbs).  The inside slot receiver cuts the DB covering the outside receiver (who caught the ball), then the receiver immediately cuts out wide down the sideline for 5 to 7 + yards.  This essentially is Linfield's true running game and explains why teams with "huge, powerful d-linemen" and   "awesome linebackers" have been generally rendered ineffective. Linfield basically takes the run game and moves it outside the hashes making the lineman less crucial. Linfield puts so much pressure on the outside DBs that unless they can break up quickly and make solid tackles at the line of scrimmage, the opposing team is done for from the start. Everything flows from this basic play (and other short high percentage passes).  After a time, Db's creep up, Linebackers widen out, D-linemen slow their pass rush knowing the ball will be gone before they take a few steps. Soon Elliot has all day to throw, and a Db bites too hard thinking another short pass is coming... and here comes the long ball....E+A = TD !!

Some teams have tried to counter this with 8-men back.  This however is just a slower death...Elliot is simply too good to give him that much time, he will find and open receiver and deliver and accurate pass. Also, this is when the inside running game and the Fly is implemented, and Linfield coaches know how to run the ball when they have too (Remember David Russell a few years ago).  The running game is just good enough that it must be respected, and forces teams to honor the possibility of inside runs. (Remember how the Stagg Bowls started last year...3 runs, the 3rd was TD by Hazenburg of the Fly.     

Most teams have tried bringing pressure with overloaded blitz packages. Like most QB's, Elliot is less accurate when he is moving.  However, Linfield's coaching staff is particularly aware this and will then test you deep 1 on 1 outside (see OXY last year ..7 TD passes)  or use a variety of  draws, screens, shovel passes, and flares outs to the backs (see Stagg Bowl last year ...Jenkins MVP).   

Obviously UMHB has had the most success against Linfield the last 2 years (in at least the 2nd half).  Essentially they blitzed Elliot , with D-linemen getting there hands up on the outside thereby knocking down at least 3 or 4 passes, and being physical with the Linfield WR's at the line of scrimmage.  Thomas Ford even mentioned "getting their hands down" during his Stagg Bowl interview on the sideline.  The result... Elliot became somewhat flustered the second half and threw some picks trying to throw deep to wide outs who got knocked of their routes at the line.  In my opinion, Elliot simply didn't look off the free safeties enough on those passes otherwise they might have worked anyway.

So the bottom line is...for you to have a chance at shutting down Linfield you must do it from the outside, where they attack you.  The DB's must match Linfield's physicality at the line and still be able to run deep.  The linemen must be disciplined enough to be able to pass rush, while being aware of the screen and draw, and get their hands up on quick passes.   If your team has this disipline and physical ability... you have a shot. However most teams haven't come close to being able to sustain this kind of solid outside play consistently throughout the entire game under constant pressure from the Linfield offense who executes it so well.  Most defenses are naturally geared toward inside run stopping first not dealing with blocking on the edges WRs vs DBs.. And most d3 DB's aren't accusomed to the ball being thrown so quickly and accurately on outside routes.  So good luck to the other teams, if they find a way to counter this style of attack then hats off to them ...I'm looking forward to seeing how teams try to adjust in the playoffs.

wildcat11

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: wildcat11 on November 22, 2012, 12:19:12 AM
I don't do X's and O's on the blog but here you go....

ADvantage 'Catdome 2012 Playoff Round 2 Preview: Linfield (10-0) vs North Central (9-2)
Great analysis 11.  I'd only change your "Overall" commentary - NCC by 3 - and add that the team that loses the turnover battle most likely will lose this game.  :).  Karma for you.

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: ILGator on November 21, 2012, 07:34:41 PM
I still don't think that the Linfield guys have made one post here that has to do with Saturday's game.  ;D :D ;) :)

Add to add a few emoticons, in case they skip posts that don't have at least three.
The Linfield fans are a playoff savvy group Gator -- same reason you haven't seen many significant posts by NCC or STU fans this week -- you learn to keep your "Cards" close to your vest, but still have fun with the process during the week leading up to the big game.  There will be plenty of time to reflect during the offseason (I believe this is the point that D O.C. Was also making).

New Tradition

Quote from: Stagg or Bust on November 22, 2012, 07:44:29 AM
(I believe this is the point that D O.C. Was also making).
I think so too. Kind of funny how they speak in riddles. This has been the most fun I've ever had reading the boards.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

cawcdad

Happy Thanksgivimg to all and safe travels to the Catdome NCC player and fans.

ncc58

Quote from: Stagg or Bust on November 22, 2012, 07:44:29 AM
Quote from: ILGator on November 21, 2012, 07:34:41 PM

The Linfield fans are a playoff savvy group Gator -- same reason you haven't seen many significant posts by NCC or STU fans this week -- you learn to keep your "Cards" close to your vest, but still have fun with the process during the week leading up to the big game.  There will be plenty of time to reflect during the offseason (I believe this is the point that D O.C. Was also making).

I think we know what the Cards need to do this week. It was pretty apparent in Mugsy's Tale of the Tape and Usee's followup post.

NCC needs to be able to run the ball, and Linfield has been very good at run defense. If NCC is forced to pass, that's trouble. Linfield has 57 sacks in in 11 games, and their stud DE has 18 of them. If NCC needs to pass often, I fear what will happen. Stanek has a tendency to hold the ball too long at times, and that could result in big plays for Linfield. This games could go several different ways. From a close, slugfest to a blowout, ugly result on either side.

matblake

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Good luck to NCC and EC!  Safety to all players and fans this weekend, whether from the CCIW, NWC or MIAC.

DadofBashWarrior..

Looking forward to a great game between Linfield and North Central ...NCC by10 by10

irisheagle

Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 21, 2012, 05:00:33 PM
Quote from: irisheagle on November 21, 2012, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 21, 2012, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: emma17 on November 21, 2012, 12:09:47 PM
Thanksgiving day football for me was Father and Son games.  Damn I miss that stuff.
Now my exercise is the Turkey Trot (trot seems a bit fast too).

My Turkey Trot will be in Grand Rapids, MI. ... where will yours be?

Ill be in grand rapids as well, forest hills area where im from. Good luck jays and cards.

Cascade here.  Kids went to FHC.

What year did they graduate if you dont mind me asking