Hoopsville: Division III Basketball's Talk Show

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, January 07, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It doesn't matter what night you tune in to Division III basketball, something will surprise you. There are teams leading conferences that weren't expected to be in the conversation, there are programs who continue their record-setting starts to the season, and others who seem to be defying expectations - well, at least those outside of the locker room.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave chats with a few coaches who have programs currently excelling - even if they have hit some bumps in the road recently. One has his program off to the best start in a storied program's history, another is leading a conference that has it's traditional leaders off the pace a bit, a third who was never thought would be on top, and a fourth looking to try and change national minds.

There is also a coach who is doing her best to help those with communications challenges, working on diversity and inclusion, all while leading Gallaudet to bigger and better results. Stephanie Stevens is this week's WBCA Center Court guest and will talk about what drew her to the deaf and hard of hearing university and what else keeps her busy off the basketball court. Stevens was a recent honoree of the WBCA Thirty Under 30.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2ndxRHj.

If you have questions for Dave or his guests, feel free to interact with the show (info to the right) or send them via email. Some may even be featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Bob Amsberry, No. 2 Wartburg women's coach
- Amy Reed, RIT women's coach
- Stephanie Stevens, Gallaudet women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Darryl Keckler, Drew men's coach
- Kyle Lindsay, Adrian men's coach

You can also tune into (or subscribe) to the podcast after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There is a first time for everything. Right?

On Sunday's Hoopsville, Dave chats with a number of programs who have never been on the show. All of them are in conference races and yearning to position themselves well for conference tournaments. Not sure any of them were expected to be in this position.

It seems to be a theme that's pretty common of late.

At the same time, one coach has been so consistent that winning number 600 almost seemed like a forgone conclusion, but a player she has on the team now may be one of the best no one is talking about.

And what to make, again, with the men's Top 25? And who will be the last women's team(s) to stay undefeated this season? Ryan Scott joins Dave to chat in the Top 25 Double-take segment.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2GoBKlL

If you have questions, be sure to interact with the show on social media (see below) or email us your questions (hoopsville@d3hoops.com).

- Jeff Gard, UW-Platteville men's coach
- James Mooney, Mount Saint Vincent men's coach
- Carroll LaHaye, Randolph-Macon women's coach
- Lynn Hersay, Smith women's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com columnist (Top 25 Double-take)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mailsy

Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: mailsy on February 01, 2018, 11:36:35 PM
Great show tonight Dave!

Thank you, sir. I appreciate that.

But what do you mean tonight? LOL

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 01, 2018, 11:40:15 PM
Quote from: mailsy on February 01, 2018, 11:36:35 PM
Great show tonight Dave!

Thank you, sir. I appreciate that.

But what do you mean tonight? LOL

Clearly he meant that earlier you sucked, but improved as the day went by! ;)

Just kidding! ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

mailsy

deiscanton

Great marathon, Dave.

Unfortunately, it looks like YouTube lost most of the Hoopsville Happy Hour when the on-demand version got archived.  It seems that the archive on YouTube can only be for 12 hours maximum.  The marathon lasted 14 hours.  The YouTube on-demand archived version currently has everything up to the Happy Hour.

Update:  So, did anyone take any notes of what was said at Happy Hour?  Other than the name of d3's newest conference and surprises on the women's side?  (D-mac said Wartburg and Bowdoin on women based on what I got from the Facebook simulcast before that ended...)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am working to get the Happy Hour up on YouTube... it appears YT took me seriously when I said we would go from 10am to 10pm and despite the fact we continued to broadcast... they cut the archive off at 10pm.

The problem/delay is that on my hard-drive recording... the audio kept skipping... brutally every few minutes or so... so I have had to go through the broadcast solving that so the lip-flap doesn't get too bad. It added up to about 15 or so seconds at the end being cut off! LOL

Will try and remember to let you know when it is done... working as fast as I can.

mailsy

Quote from: deiscanton on February 02, 2018, 06:32:34 AM
Great marathon, Dave.

Unfortunately, it looks like YouTube lost most of the Hoopsville Happy Hour when the on-demand version got archived.  It seems that the archive on YouTube can only be for 12 hours maximum.  The marathon lasted 14 hours.  The YouTube on-demand archived version currently has everything up to the Happy Hour.

Update:  So, did anyone take any notes of what was said at Happy Hour?  Other than the name of d3's newest conference and surprises on the women's side?  (D-mac said Wartburg and Bowdoin on women based on what I got from the Facebook simulcast before that ended...)

A couple of things. Ira went to the dentist in the afternoon and Wags gave us a tour of his house.  ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I will get the file uploaded soon. Had multiple problems with it that took all day to fix... and then the encoder failed on me. Will try again on Saturday.

deiscanton

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 11:21:09 PM
I will get the file uploaded soon. Had multiple problems with it that took all day to fix... and then the encoder failed on me. Will try again on Saturday.

From what I have seen, it looks like all attempts to get the Hoopsville Happy Hour up have not worked.

Oh well, I guess I didn't miss too much.....😀

Looking forward to Hoopsville this afternoon.  Did Pfeiffer (NC) bite off more than they can chew when they joined the ECAC a few months ago?  It is at least 400 miles from Pfeiffer to any potential ECAC tournament opponent.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on February 05, 2018, 09:51:04 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 11:21:09 PM

From what I have seen, it looks like all attempts to get the Hoopsville Happy Hour up have not worked.

Oh well, I guess I didn't miss too much.....😀

Looking forward to Hoopsville this afternoon.  Did Pfeiffer (NC) bite off more than they can chew when they joined the ECAC a few months ago?  It is at least 400 miles from Pfeiffer to any potential ECAC tournament opponent.

Trying again today... had some personal stuff at home to tackle as well... and we know who takes priority there.

And Not sure about the Pfeiffer/ECAC thing. There are a number of schools in the ECAC as far away as the Mississippi River - maybe not in DIII, but I am sure Pfeiffer just wants to get in the mix and get as much as experience as possible.

Also, with the new "dues" set-up the ECAC has, schools don't have to pay yearly dues anymore. They can play them by sport. Not surprised at all Pfeiffer is looking into the ECAC, but it is going to cost them a lot of money to travel.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The big game is over, so now it's time to focus only on basketball. Division III basketball to be exact.

Join Dave and a number of guests on this special Monday edition of Hoopsville. There is plenty to talk about including another crazy weekend of results that will have Top 25 voters scratching their heads and maybe pulling hair off their head as well. Plus, the first regional rankings come out later this week. While predictions are hard, there at least will be some reminding of how this all works.

And maybe even a preview of what this evening's Top 25s look like.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show starting at 2:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2FOQ7hX

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media.

- Marc Edwards, No. 2 WashU men's coach
- Chris Harvey, Salem State men's coach
- Bill Fenlon, DePauw men's coach (NABC Coach's Corner)
- Caitlin Hadzimichalis, King's women's coach
- Cameron Hill, Trinity (Texas), women's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The first regional rankings are out which in itself brings on a lot of conversation, but the jockeying and positioning contines in conferences around the country for teams trying to keep their seasons going into March.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave talks to a number of high-ranking squads about the pressure to stay atop their respective conference races while also positioning themselves well in the regional rankings.

Dave also welcomes a coach who has played in DIII, coached in both DII and DIII, and coached both men and women. He talks about the road, possibly, less traveled in the "WBCA Center Court" segment.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2EROVeC

If you have questions, be sure to interact with the show on social media (see below) or email us your questions (hoopsville@d3hoops.com).

- Ryan Gould, No. 7 Trine women's coach
- Michelle Ferenz, No. 5 Whitman women's coach
- Charlie Just, Spalding women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Landry Kosmalski, No. 11 Swarthmore men's coach
- Tom Curle, Plattsburgh State men's coach