MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pridefan

Quote from: atnwriter on February 10, 2008, 08:01:16 PM
Ask, and ye shall receive

http://d3hoops.com/dailydose/2008/02/10/rant-pre-game-music

Thanks - nicely done.

Springfield vs WPI today should be another tough NEWMAC battle. As LyonsFan says often and correctly, anybody can beat anybody in the NEWMAC. 

LyonFan

Missed the game in Springfield today, but sounds like it got ugly.  PrideFan, can you shed any light on the proceedings?  And congrats - Pride obviously played well down the stretch and your guy had a nice game.

pridefan

The Pride gutted out a tough win down the stretch today vs Wheaton after an ugly 2nd half scuffle got Crean and Blackmon tossed for Springfield and Coppola for Wheaton. Credit the Pride bench for stepping up because Strawson and Gibbs were also handicapped by 4 fouls each. Some rookies got thrown right into the fire and did well.

The scuffle started when Crean cut threw the lane and was greeted by Coppola with a raised elbow.  He responded by tossing down Coppola and then everybody swarmed around them.  Apparently Blackmon threw an air punch and got tossed too. It took FOREVER for the refs to make their decisions - makes you wonder if they really saw everything.

Both teams had to finish the last 14 mins without key players.  Once Wheaton got behind, they didn't have the Coppola 3 pt weapon and it showed.  Prior to the ejections, it was a close, tough game.

What is the rule for an ejection - can you play the next game? 

baseballguy

What are the pairings for the tourney looking like? 
Also, having borrowed a court at WPI due to water damage on the original floor, I heard a rumor they have to give the court back before the start of the tourney.  How will that affect their hosting?

ILive4This

This just in, sending in a top 10 for the regional posters poll is patriotic. If you support the teams, you must support the poll...

T990

I heard WPI bought that floor from the DCU Center.  And that it is terrible to play on.  I expect they will host the tournament there - unless the sprinklers are set off again.  ;)

uconn05

There is no doubt that WPI is the team to beat in the conference tourney this year, but who do you think is the second best team?  Everybody seems so equal but Coast Guard seems to be the best of the rest.  They can play fast or slow and they can score in the paint and on the perimeter.  When Grant Johnson is hot they are awfully tough to beat.

lefrakenstein

Quote from: pridefan on February 07, 2008, 08:36:28 PM
Jimmy B was in street clothes last night but nobody knows why he didn't play.

I hope it is not related to the injury he suffered against Amherst earlier in the season. Watching amherst over the years, I've seen a lot of really good d3 players including guys on the all-decade team like Michael Crotty of Williams Dane Borchers at Witt and Brandon Adair of Va Wes, but JB is one of my all-time favorites, and it was terrible that he got injured in the last 2 seconds of that game when the result was already determined. For springfield fans, Derek Yvon is also up there in my favorite opposing players list.

Hugenerd

Quote from: lefrakenstein on February 19, 2008, 05:59:18 PM
Quote from: pridefan on February 07, 2008, 08:36:28 PM
Jimmy B was in street clothes last night but nobody knows why he didn't play.

I hope it is not related to the injury he suffered against Amherst earlier in the season. Watching amherst over the years, I've seen a lot of really good d3 players including guys on the all-decade team like Michael Crotty of Williams Dane Borchers at Witt and Brandon Adair of Va Wes, but JB is one of my all-time favorites, and it was terrible that he got injured in the last 2 seconds of that game when the result was already determined. For springfield fans, Derek Yvon is also up there in my favorite opposing players list.

Jimmy B has played the last 2 games after sitting out the 2 before that, but MIT does not seem to be the same since he left.  Hopefully the can put together a run in the NEWMAC tourney.

AboveDaRim2399

Quote from: T990 on February 18, 2008, 10:42:09 PM
I heard WPI bought that floor from the DCU Center.  And that it is terrible to play on.  I expect they will host the tournament there - unless the sprinklers are set off again.  ;)

Very interesting. What will WPI do if the cour is still bad when they host?

T990

I assume the DCU floor they laid over the top of the original floor is what they will use for the tournament, since they are using it right now for regular season games.  Hopefully someone from WPI can post on the situation.

jamiejohn

I think the 7 seed mit can win it for a second straight year, like coast guard last year. mit still has the best player in the league and they are a very smart team. if they can put it together they should be fine and they will be out of wpi bracket so they wont play them until the championship game

Hugenerd

Tough loss again for MIT tonight. The game was close throughout, with no team leading by more than 6 the entire game.  MIT was missing their starting forward, Billy Johnson.

Jimmy B is now 33 points from 1500 for his career.  He probably would have gotten it by now if he hadnt gotten hurt, but he has another chance next Wednesday. Of course if he doesnt get it in the NEWMAC tourney, he still has one more year left.

It will be interesting to see if MIT can get everyone back healthy in the next week and make a run in the NEWMAC tourney.  They have shown that they can play with anyone if they are playing well (they were down 2 points, with the ball, with under 30 seconds left at Amherst earlier in the year, they took WPI to OT, and beat Conn College, Gordon, etc.).

cheeks14

I heard that WPI had to return the DCU floor but that they have rented a much better court from a company based out of Ohio.  The court was supposeduly installed Monday so it will be good to go for this weekend and the NEWMAC tourney. 

WPI also seems to be hitting stride at the right time as they are playing extremely well on both ends of the floor.  MIT looked terrible last week and held Jimmy B in check for much of the game until WPI put their subs in.  I think that WPI is definitely the favorite in the NEWMAC tourney if they continue to play well but as we saw last year its all about who gets hot at the right time. Should be another awesome tourney this year.