FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Wally

Great game for the Little Giant defense and rushing game.

WAF 03

Good win for Wabash today against a quality opponent.  HS came out and punched Wabash's D in the mouth, hard, and really happy to see the LGs bounce back.  We obviously have the second half of the home-home to play next year, but I'd like to see this go on.  For only one game played, it looked like there was a lot of jawing going on.  Hopefully this can develop into a competitive rivalry, given that our other Tiger rivals seem unable to match us. 

wabashsid

Highlights from The Gentlemen's Classic (apologies for the audio issues)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3i3LAhc24&list=UUoEOd19LmiGQTQWSr3yD0sA

And the Friday event with the two teams and NCAA President Mark Emmert, Hampden-Sydney President Chris Howard, and Wabash President Greg Hess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvW8KGsV_FU&list=UUoEOd19LmiGQTQWSr3yD0sA&index=2

BashBacker#16

6'5 wide receiver Michael Mey...

1 catch

3 yards

Proud of the Little Giants.

Buresh Brothers should be a killer bourbon.  The Bash D is nasty.

waf56

Other than a couple big plays the Bash D was on point all day! Nance is good, really really good, but it is hard to complete passes off of your back. The O-line will improve as will the special teams throughout the year and this will be a scary team.
What I lack in size, I make up for with my lack of speed.

wally_wabash

Let's talk Gentlemen's Classic, shall we? 

I'm super impressed with the way Wabash's defense handled their business today.  We talked during the week about the importance of disrupting the pocket and getting Nance to throw before he wants or from spots he doesn't want to.  Mission accomplished and then some.  We can boil this down one hundred different ways, but from my point of view the difference in the game was that Wabash's new-ish offensive line did a pretty good job and H-SC's new offensive line had a tough day.  If this game happens two months from now, it probably plays out a bit differently, but breaking in four new starters on that offensive line against this team is a tough ask.  The Tigers couldn't protect Nance and aside from Walker winning two jump balls for touchdowns, H-SC had pretty much bubkes going offensively today.  Again, massive kudos for the Wabash defense for being playoff ready in Week 1.  Anything less and this thing could have gone the other way. 

Wabash's offense did what they needed to do.  Methodical, efficient, no major mistakes.  3.4 ypc for a team won't catch anybody's attention, but that ground game did its job and that (very good BTW) H-SC defense was worn out in the fourth quarter.  ER is going to see penalties and some points left on the field on a couple of drives, but really I thought the offense played well against a stout defense in the first week of the season.  I thought Putko was good.  15-22, the really nice TD pass to Hodges, and his run game was shifty and a nice little change of pace from the RB bruisers.  Wabash will have to develop some more targets other than Hodges.  I like what I'm seeing from Sammy Adams and Drake Christen will contribute more as we go along (he practiced for the first time just this week). 

I'm so pumped about this win.  This was a big, big win.  Now, Hampden-Sydney Tigers: don't go 6-4.  Win your league.  Get regionally ranked, please

Time for victory cocktails and the Ducks game.  WAF!
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

DPU3619

Wabash shredded on the QB runs today. Lot of success with the Flash series. That's a new wrinkle in their run game. Almost everybody that's in the spread has started running that this year. It's zone read where you read the front side end instead of the backside end. Easy to block, easy to read.

-5 rushing yards for HSC. Think about that. Probably one of the best outside zone teams in the country was in the negative in rushing yards. Wabash didn't win every 1v1 situation in the secondary, but they won a lot of them. They lost a couple more than I expected, but they played very, very well against a Q that's just going to chuck it on you. Wabash got to the Q with a lot of 5 man pressures. I don't care what the offensive scheme is, if you get home with 5 guys, the offense is going to struggle. Again, schematically, that front is really hard to handle.

In other news, thought DePauw looked pretty good today. They were actually out gained by 50 yards. Pretty typical Lynch day. 36 runs at 5 per attempt, 19 passes at almost 7 per attempt. Stayed ahead of the chains most of the day. Got in a lot of 3rd and short situations. Hunt was efficient. He made good decisions and didn't turn it over. Most weeks in this conference, that's all you need.

USee

Wabash was +3 in TO margin today.  Good call Wally.  As a side note, Wheaton only had 1 TO after Wabash took away 5 last week.  The LGs play some D. 

Wes, isn't 5 man pressure more about whipping people across from you than scheme? Not many schemes work when the other guy beats you

wally_wabash

Scots up 7-0 on W&J.  Tracking...
Update: 17-7 Scots now in the 2nd.  D. Owens has 4 balls for 124 and 2 TDs.  Barnes/Owens is a thing we need to pay serious attention to as Wabash fans.  They're coming in four weeks. 
Update: In a flash, W&J has gone ahead 21-17.  Barnes got picked inside his own 20 which led to a quick score for the Prez. 
Final update unless something crazy happens: 38-17.  And this started with so much promise.  Welp. 

Butler doubles to right-center and leads Witt 2-0 after 1...

Hiram is getting pantsed 24-3 at Westminster.  Total offense for the first half is 312-140.  I expected better here. 

Dr. Acula

Barnes looks good throwing the deep ball.  Owens got deep 3 times and they connected on 2 of them beautifully.

firstdown

Nance and Walker are really something to watch. H-S is a fine team and played a hard ball game. Wish them good luck the rest of the way this year.

The Wabash D did a great job keeping them under control with 6 sacks and 3 takeaways.  (2 INTs, including 1 pick 6, and 1 fumble recovery).  Time of possession H-S 22:51 to WAB 37:51.  WAB defense made some adjustments and shut them down for most of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.  The Wabash D was in the H-S backfield most of the game, and Nance took some hard hits and was staggering a bit after one very hard hit on a sack.

The WAB offense played great possession football.  Holmes and Zurek combined for 100+ rushing yards.  You can't score if you standing on the sidelines.  Putko ran well and was effective with his control passing game (although he did hit one home run ball.)

The Little Giants did a great job on both sides of the ball and this was truly team effort and a team win.

Bishopleftiesdad

Wooster up 10-0, denison/earlham scorless, in the 2nd qtr.

Bishopleftiesdad

Second quarter, Butler beating Witt 2-0.