FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: Rhythm21 on September 20, 2018, 03:55:37 AM
If we want a decent draw for the NACC AQ bid, Eureka running the table is our best bet. I don't see it happening, but no other NACC team has made that "We're the team to beat" statement thus far. Super disappointing non-conference performances from our squads (CUW & Eureka excluded).

With Eureka's strength of schedule, would even going 10-0 be enough to get them a "decent" draw (which I'm reading as "not having to play the WIAC or CCIW champion or Mount Union in the first round")?
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

RFMichigan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 22, 2018, 04:06:47 PM
I on case no one saw the tweets or the front page: http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2018/09/benedictine-to-return-to-d3

Well this is an interesting development.  I'd be curious on your take as to why the switch back to d3. My totally out-from-left-field take is that the former president really wanted the move to d2 but not all the trustees were on board, but who knows.
In any case I am very interested in a book or paper that is out there which deals with the financial effects of college athletics on the schools; the effects on enrollment, income, expenses, etc., (because I would guess that played a part in Benedictine's moves as well). Any suggestions?

formerd3db

Quote from: RFMichigan on September 23, 2018, 06:46:11 AM
I on case no one saw the tweets or the front page: http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2018/09/benedictine-to-return-to-d3

Well this is an interesting development.  I'd be curious on your take as to why the switch back to d3. My totally out-from-left-field take is that the former president really wanted the move to d2 but not all the trustees were on board, but who knows.
In any case I am very interested in a book or paper that is out there which deals with the financial effects of college athletics on the schools; the effects on enrollment, income, expenses, etc., (because I would guess that played a part in Benedictine's moves as well). Any suggestions?

I am weighing in here on two aspects:

First, agree with you RFMichigan.  One might speculate (and it would be a legitimate consideration) that perhaps they realized that they would quite possibly get killed in DII, although as Pat pointed out, that might not necessarily be the case once they started handing out the scholarships and having the opportunity to recruit players with better talent to be in DII.  On the other hand, I personally think it was probably more due to exactly what you speculated on i.e. the now former President wanting the move more than the other trustees (although that would beg the question as to why they voted for the move in the first place. Did they feel pressured into it OR was it one of those, gut feeling "change of mind" incidents such as when head coaches have accepted an offer from another school, but then change their mind the next day or two to stay at their current schools.  As you mentioned, it would be most interesting to hear the real truth about why this decision was made.  Also, I am curious as to why the former president left so abruptly last month.  Does anyone know any further information?

Second, and I am late here on this one-although perhaps not since Eureka and all our MIAA teams had their "bye" weekends yesterday.  I'll try to make this [somewhat short ::) ;D :)]  We all know that Finlandia is a team/program that is, unfortunately, still in the building stages.  I do believe (am confident and hopefull] they will improve in time.  That said, here is my question, which is sort of a "combination" question and question for the sake of discussion.  Finlandia got crushed by Concordia-Wis, the latter which is not a very good team IMO as Hope smashed them in the last game of the season last year, although it does appear that Concordia-Wis is somewhat better this year.  So then Concorida-Wis beats Alma (although not by much), the latter which is in a rebuilding mode (again), not a great team, although I believe the will give our MIAA teams a good challenge in our league games (in other words, no one should take them lightly.)  Then Eureka comes in and beats Finlandia, but not by, what I would call, a crushing score.  By that I mean if Concordia creams Finlandia by as much as they did, where does that put Eureka so far, your opinions?

I realize several have opined their thoughts on Eureka earlier on this board.  Personally, I believe they are a good team and have an excellent chance of winning your league title in their first year in the league this fall.  They might even "run the table" as Ryan Stoppable suggested.  I think that is possible, although still will be a tough challenge.  Anyway, it is still early, I know, however, I was just curious as to your thoughts for the sake of discussion and, at least, for this present time, as Eureka is 3-0. 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

I don't think we can play comparative scoring margin when Finlandia is on the field.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 23, 2018, 06:58:09 PM
I don't think we can play comparative scoring margin when Finlandia is on the field.
CUW beat Finlandia 31-3, Eureka beat them 34-12. I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from that.

Week Four score:

Lakeland 12 (0-3)
UW-Platteville 49

The Muskies offense is having a hard time staying on the field this season with their inability to complete passes - 10 for 37 in that game. And now, there's no more time to figure it out.

In my opinion, the non-conference season has asked plenty of questions across the league; next week, we should get some answers as the teams who have gotten off to the best starts (relatively speaking - the NACC did go 7-14 in non-conference play with 2 of the wins at Finlandia's expense) face two of the projected contenders who are each seeking their first win.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

RFMichigan

Quote from: formerd3db on September 23, 2018, 06:47:51 PM

First, agree with you RFMichigan.  One might speculate (and it would be a legitimate consideration) that perhaps they realized that they would quite possibly get killed in DII, although as Pat pointed out, that might not necessarily be the case once they started handing out the scholarships and having the opportunity to recruit players with better talent to be in DII.  On the other hand, I personally think it was probably more due to exactly what you speculated on i.e. the now former President wanting the move more than the other trustees (although that would beg the question as to why they voted for the move in the first place. Did they feel pressured into it OR was it one of those, gut feeling "change of mind" incidents such as when head coaches have accepted an offer from another school, but then change their mind the next day or two to stay at their current schools.  As you mentioned, it would be most interesting to hear the real truth about why this decision was made.  Also, I am curious as to why the former president left so abruptly last month.  Does anyone know any further information?

Second, and I am late here on this one-although perhaps not since Eureka and all our MIAA teams had their "bye" weekends yesterday.  I'll try to make this [somewhat short ::) ;D :)]  We all know that Finlandia is a team/program that is, unfortunately, still in the building stages.  I do believe (am confident and hopefull] they will improve in time.  That said, here is my question, which is sort of a "combination" question and question for the sake of discussion.  Finlandia got crushed by Concordia-Wis, the latter which is not a very good team IMO as Hope smashed them in the last game of the season last year, although it does appear that Concordia-Wis is somewhat better this year.  So then Concorida-Wis beats Alma (although not by much), the latter which is in a rebuilding mode (again), not a great team, although I believe the will give our MIAA teams a good challenge in our league games (in other words, no one should take them lightly.)  Then Eureka comes in and beats Finlandia, but not by, what I would call, a crushing score.  By that I mean if Concordia creams Finlandia by as much as they did, where does that put Eureka so far, your opinions?

I realize several have opined their thoughts on Eureka earlier on this board.  Personally, I believe they are a good team and have an excellent chance of winning your league title in their first year in the league this fall.  They might even "run the table" as Ryan Stoppable suggested.  I think that is possible, although still will be a tough challenge.  Anyway, it is still early, I know, however, I was just curious as to your thoughts for the sake of discussion and, at least, for this present time, as Eureka is 3-0. 
When it's time to pick bowl winners in those end-of-the-season bowl challenges and whatnot the first thing I usually take into consideration is the two teams' conference membership, and I think this notion applies here as well. In this case the operative term would be "NACC" as it's just not a very strong conference for football. (One of the weakest in the nation from what I'm told.) Eureka could well come in and win it in their first year, especially as there's not a clearly dominant team in this conference (comparatively speaking ) as there is occasionally.

Concordia - Wis. has a veteran QB and that probably goes a long way in this conference, but I'm not sure yet if they're the cream of the rest of the NACC crop. I mean, the NACC teams only beat six teams in their composite non-conference schedule and those six teams only have a total of four wins themselves (and one of those wins was against another of those six teams.) To figure relative strengths of NACC teams is pretty tough at this point.

Good luck to your Flying Dutchmen. I hope (no pun intended) to catch them in a MIAA conference game this year.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I've said it on a few boards already, but it bears repeating. First off, I can't share a lot that I have gathered as of right now, but there will be more in the future.

However, the president's departure isn't the cut and dry reason for this decision. There is a lot more involved for starters.

As for your second part, I have learned there was a solid plan in place at BU and it was working well. It doesn't sound like the plan or BU's prep work was the cause here. We may hear that from another DIII to DII school, but I don't think that will be the reasoning from BU when that report becomes more public.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

formerd3db

Sure we can, Pat.  It's just for discussion! ;)  You know as well as I do that anything goes with Finlandia this year, and it is not going to be that good. ::)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Quote from: RFMichigan on September 23, 2018, 09:34:55 PM
Quote from: formerd3db on September 23, 2018, 06:47:51 PM

When it's time to pick bowl winners in those end-of-the-season bowl challenges and whatnot the first thing I usually take into consideration is the two teams' conference membership, and I think this notion applies here as well. In this case the operative term would be "NACC" as it's just not a very strong conference for football. (One of the weakest in the nation from what I'm told.) Eureka could well come in and win it in their first year, especially as there's not a clearly dominant team in this conference (comparatively speaking ) as there is occasionally.

Concordia - Wis. has a veteran QB and that probably goes a long way in this conference, but I'm not sure yet if they're the cream of the rest of the NACC crop. I mean, the NACC teams only beat six teams in their composite non-conference schedule and those six teams only have a total of four wins themselves (and one of those wins was against another of those six teams.) To figure relative strengths of NACC teams is pretty tough at this point.

Good luck to your Flying Dutchmen. I hope (no pun intended) to catch them in a MIAA conference game this year.
Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on September 23, 2018, 08:41:48 PM
CUW beat Finlandia 31-3, Eureka beat them 34-12. I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from that.

Week Four score:

Lakeland 12 (0-3)
UW-Platteville 49

The Muskies offense is having a hard time staying on the field this season with their inability to complete passes - 10 for 37 in that game. And now, there's no more time to figure it out.

In my opinion, the non-conference season has asked plenty of questions across the league; next week, we should get some answers as the teams who have gotten off to the best starts (relatively speaking - the NACC did go 7-14 in non-conference play with 2 of the wins at Finlandia's expense) face two of the projected contenders who are each seeking their first win.

While we all know that comparisons like this are not the true measure and rather just impressions/speculative opinions.  That said, I still believe a comparison to some degree can be made in some of these types of situations.  Obviously, I have not seen either Eureka or Concordia-Wis this year or past year in person (although I did see the latter when they played us at home two seasons ago, yet obviously that can't even be considered here).  But from what I've read/seen about Eureka and what I saw from Concordia at their last game last year, I just do not think Concordia is a very good team, great Sr. QB they have or not (no disrespect to them, but rather just my own opinion).  In reviewing everyone's answers here, you are probably right as the difference in score was not much 31-3 versus 32-12 does not make much of a comparison.  I realize that many people on these boards are not fans of this type of comparison, however, I do believe at times such can be made.  Perhaps this is just not one of them. :)  Anyway, I just posed the question because a) for some discussion and b) I was interested in your opinions and those of you who responded have now told me. 

formerd3db

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 23, 2018, 11:05:18 PM

I've said it on a few boards already, but it bears repeating. First off, I can't share a lot that I have gathered as of right now, but there will be more in the future.

However, the president's departure isn't the cut and dry reason for this decision. There is a lot more involved for starters.

As for your second part, I have learned there was a solid plan in place at BU and it was working well. It doesn't sound like the plan or BU's prep work was the cause here. We may hear that from another DIII to DII school, but I don't think that will be the reasoning from BU when that report becomes more public.

Thanks for what you have been able to share for now, Dave.   

AndOne

RFMichigan and formerd3db,

See the NACC basketball page.

RFMichigan

Quote from: AndOne on September 24, 2018, 07:00:27 PM
RFMichigan and formerd3db,

See the NACC basketball page.

AndOne - Thank you for the heads-up. Very interesting. I'm fascinated by the economics of college athletics and admissions.