MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxpreps

Question on recruiting . Son was asked to do ED by coach at a high academic school. In this case, he has been give no gaurantees, just that they are going to support his application etc. he is going forward with it.   He also has others schools interested in him. Some also asked him to do ED.  Question is- what is best way or what does he say to others schools on his list and these coaches that he has been communicating with over the last year or so.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

amh63

MAXPREP.....my simple advice is talk to your son and read what ED means.  My read is that the school is your FIRST choice...if accepted, you will withdraw all other applications...period.  Talk to your son and ask him what school he wants to go and play and study, etc.  If it is one that a coach directs him to go ED....simple choice.  Tell the other coaches as appropriate. 

quicksilver

Too little info, max prep. Is he applying to a NESCAC school? If it's a NESCAC school and the coach has said that he plans to support his application and asked him to apply ED, it's probably close to a guarantee if there was a "pre-read" (with a pre-read, the coach submits the athlete's scores and transcripts to the admissions dept an gets an early thumbs up or down).

Maxpreps

I agree using the honest ,straight forward approach is best.  He should find out in next week or two. The ED date is nov 1 and this all came pretty fast.   I was asking what to say to these schools between now and nov 15 or whenever he hears on ED    Does he tell them that he has applied ED somewhere? 

P'bearfan

Maxpreps - first congratulations on your son's success.  It's great that he is receiving genuine recruiting interest. 

Second - as quicksilver mentioned there are many contextual points that are important - e.g. has the coach been at the school for a while and does he have a good relationship with the admissions office?  If he does, then when he tells you that your son looks admissible you can have more confidence in that (assuming the coach is a straight shooter).  Has the Admission Office done a pre-read?  As others point out a favorable pre-read isn't a guarantee but it's as close as you're likely to get.   Assume you and your son have already discussed: where he would fit into the team's system, the coach's philosophy on offense, defense and playing time for FY's; how the coach envisions his role developing; how he likes the team as people.

Third - assuming the above all lines up the way you want, then it is simply a matter of your son calling the other coaches and thanking them for their interest but letting them know that he's decided to apply ED to another school.  "It just feels like the best fit for me academically and basketball wise" or something similar is all he needs to say.   

Coaches go through this all the time so 95+% will just say "Thanks and good luck".  It shouldn't be a big deal.   You do want to give them the courtesy of knowing before the ED application date so they can make their own plans (e.g. they may want to offer ED support to another player).

Good luck.

NEhoops

Max Prep, great question. If this is a NESCAC school and is your son's first choice than applying ED1 is a great way to go. At the same time, he should be fair to the other coaches recruiting him and let them know of his intentions. There have been many cases were a player applies ED1 and doesn't get in to that school, but he stayed in touch/on good terms with the other coaches that were recruiting him and ends up in a great situation at another school.

nescac1

A bit of Williams recruiting news: "Congratulations to Miye Oni '15 on his decision to play basketball at Williams College in the fall of 2015."  He is a 6'6 guard from a small school in California. 

And in ex-Eph news, sounds like Duncan Robinson is already impressing at Michigan:

http://www.umhoops.com/2014/10/28/offseason-storylines-michigan-searching-go-sixth-man/

grabtherim

Been there, experienced that.  Your goal is to get your son into the best school possible for him on several levels above and beyond basketball, similarly the coach is trying to get the best student athlete for his program and school.         
Until your son hears back from his ED choice, I would not be proactive in telling other interested coaches that your son applied ED to a different school.  They already know your son decided not to apply ED to their school.  That's enough at this point.  Keep them all interested as best you can.  The coaches do it with players, nothing wrong with a player or his family doing the same. 
Quote from: Maxpreps on October 28, 2014, 11:26:35 PM
I agree using the honest ,straight forward approach is best.  He should find out in next week or two. The ED date is nov 1 and this all came pretty fast.   I was asking what to say to these schools between now and nov 15 or whenever he hears on ED    Does he tell them that he has applied ED somewhere?

Buzzerbeater

Maxprep,

Has your son done over night visits??  How did your son come away from those visits?? What was his take on the players, coaches and program??   What was the coaches reaction to the early read?? Based on his grades/scores is the school a reach??  Does the campus fit his life style, have a course of studies that he is interested in??  Only your son can answer these questions!!!   If he can answer them all positively and has that gut feeling that he belongs and wants to go to a certain college then do ED1, even if the school is a reach!!  DO IT!!!  No Regrets!!!! As ED1 has it's benefits to athletes and the coaches, especially if he is a reach!!!

Your son should contact the other coaches and let them know he has decide to apply ED1 to another school. These conversations will be eye opening and character building for him! Best of Luck with your sons big decision!

sac

Is Eric Conklin expected to play for Amherst this year?  It was reported he transferred to Amherst.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66319/eric-conklin

middhoops

Yes, SAC, Conklin is eligible and expected to play for Amherst College this season. Do you have specific insight on him as a player?

grabtherim

Quote from: Buzzerbeater on October 30, 2014, 10:50:40 AM
Maxprep,

Has your son done over night visits??  How did your son come away from those visits?? What was his take on the players, coaches and program??   What was the coaches reaction to the early read?? Based on his grades/scores is the school a reach??  Does the campus fit his life style, have a course of studies that he is interested in??  Only your son can answer these questions!!!   If he can answer them all positively and has that gut feeling that he belongs and wants to go to a certain college then do ED1, even if the school is a reach!!  DO IT!!!  No Regrets!!!! As ED1 has it's benefits to athletes and the coaches, especially if he is a reach!!!

Your son should contact the other coaches and let them know he has decide to apply ED1 to another school. These conversations will be eye opening and character building for him! Best of Luck with your sons big decision!

Many good thoughts there, but don't agree on discussing early decision at another school.  For one thing, how would you know telling him does not equal him telling countless others?  It's a private matter, and it's OK to simply tell a coach that you are not applying early to his school.  School visits are incredibly important.  Hang with the guys on the team, get a feel for the campus.  This will usually tell a kid if he can see himself at a school or not.   

sac

Quote from: middhoops on October 30, 2014, 02:23:18 PM
Yes, SAC, Conklin is eligible and expected to play for Amherst College this season. Do you have specific insight on him as a player?

I do not, sorry, just saw his name on that list.

Arizona to Amherst is quite a change in weather and academics. :)

JustAFan

I strongly agree with grabtherim's comments. You need to look out for your own interests here. The coaches are not telling you who else they are recruiting or where you stand on their recruiting charts and you should not feel guilty about similarly keeping your cards to yourself unless pressed.

I think it's critical that the coach has had admissions read your son's app and has affirmatively gotten feedback from admissions that he is admittable. The NESCAC does not issue "likely" letters but I would not rely on a coach's opinion that your son is admittable without direct admissions input. It's not a guaranty but it's the best you can get.

Remember that many NESCAC schools have a second ED admission program in late January. In fact, at these schools most of their athletes are admitted EDII.

Also remember that you are doing this coach a huge favor (and making his recruiting job a lot easier) by applying ED and both committing to this school and taking yourself off the table for other schools early in the process, including other NESCAC schools with ED2 programs who might otherwise make a strong run at your son between now and February. The coach is only doing you a favor if your son would have a hard time in the regular admission process and he is willing to use up some if his admissions chips now to give your son an admissions push. Good luck to you both. There are no bad decisions here as long as you follow your heart and trust your gut.

nescac1

Seems like Coach App hit the ground running with recruiting, as he has a second ED commitment:  Chaminade forward Jake Porath has committed to Williams College.

Not much out there on Porath -- he was a bench player for a California state champion team (a top-50 national team loaded with talent), playing behind two D1-bound big guys.  One graduated and one transferred, so it will be interesting to see what he can do as a senior.  He is listed at either 6'8 or 6'9 and seems to have three point range, but I'm guessing is otherwise a work in progress offensively. 

At least based on early returns, Coach App seems to have a different recruiting philosophy than the Ephs have seen before, as both recruits are very tall for their positions, seem like they may be a bit raw, late bloomers, still growing physically and as players.  The kind of guys more likely to pay dividends down the line than immediately.  I'm sure he will also bring in a few guys who fill more immediate needs at some point ...