Regional Realignment

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), February 27, 2013, 07:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I don't see any drawbacks off the top of my head. It puts all sports into a system that requires certain setups and benchmarks. I think that is good especially sports like men's lacrosse where I think the committee has been committing malpractice the last five or more years. It will break up the Northeast Region into two regions. How and specifics are to be seen.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

KnightSlappy

I took a quick stab at trying to throw teams into 10 regions.

https://twitter.com/FFTMAG/status/1095755480096477185

It's certainly not perfect, but one thing I really like would be to put the Northwest, California, and Texas schools together. They face similar challenges of scheduling and geographic isolation and would be on similar footing with each other with respect to regional rankings.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is now or never.

The last week of the Division III basketball regular season is here. Conferences will decide who will earn automatic bids to the NCAA Tournaments and teams try and position themselves for at-large bids, hosting opportunities, and bracketing considerations.

For teams who have been faltering, this is the last chance to right the ship. For programs which have underachieved, this is the last opportunity to live up to expectations. And of course for those with Cinderella dreams, this is the chance to try on the glass slipper.

Sunday's Hoopsville will cover it all in a special, extended, episode which for the first time (outside of Marathon programming) will feature a guest from each of the eight regions. We will also discuss which teams may be on the bubble, who has most likely secured at-large bid, and which teams need to win the AQs. Plus, we talk about how regions as we know it now could very well change in the future.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's show will hit the air at 6:00 p.m. ET. It can be watched live right here: http://bit.ly/2EeG5ZE (and simulcast on Facebook Live and Periscope).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Katherine Bixby, Johns Hopkins women's coach
- Jonathan Crosthwaite, Occidental men's senior
- Marc Brown, NJCU men's coach
- Justin LeBlanc, Millsaps women's coach
- Jamie Seward, SUNY New Paltz women's coach
- Marcos Echevarria, No. 17 Nichols men's senior
- Herman Carmichael, La Roches men's coach
- Klay Knueppel, Wisconsin Luthern women's coach
- Brad Bankston, ODAC Commissioner
- Pat Coleman & Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com (Bubble Talk)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 13, 2019, 04:48:21 PM

It's certainly not perfect, but one thing I really like would be to put the Northwest, California, and Texas schools together. They face similar challenges of scheduling and geographic isolation and would be on similar footing with each other with respect to regional rankings.

Baseball does this (and I'm sure they're not alone).
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Men's and women's soccer do this as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 13, 2019, 04:48:21 PM

Also, from what Titan Q is reporting in the CCIW room, it sounds as though your proposal is sounder than the NCAA's, at least as far as the region described by outgoing CCIW commish Chris Martin is concerned.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

deiscanton

Reviving the thread, with the DIII Conference Commissioners approving regional realignment this week at the NCAA Convention by a vote of 40 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstaining--?

(Update-- Credit to Dave McHugh of Hoopsville for the breaking story.😊  A further update will come when minutes are released.)

Get ready for 2021-22 academic year, when a 10 region plan for men's and women's basketball would take effect.  I am looking forward to February for details from the Championships Committee and further details on the makeup of the 10 basketball regions.  Since the UAA is grandfathered in as a !ulmulti-regional conference, I expect that it will stay that way in the new plans for d3 sports regions.

The effect for basketball for the UAA with respect to basketball RACs is that the UAA gets to choose which RAC its rep will serve on for each 3 year term.

Currently, the UAA reps sit on the East Region RAC for men's hoop, and the Great Lakes RAC for women's hoop.  This practice would be expected to continue in the new alignment plan, with different regions getting a chance to have UAA reps sit on their RACs every 3 years.

Update-- as suggested, post modified to give credit as credit is due.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on January 24, 2020, 08:49:42 AM
Reviving the thread, with the DIII Conference Commissioners approving regional realignment this week at the NCAA Convention by a vote of 40 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstaining--

Get ready for 2021-22 academic year, when a 10 region plan for men's and women's basketball would take effect.  I am looking forward to February for details from the Championships Committee and further details on the makeup of the 10 basketball regions.  Since the UAA is grandfathered in as a !ulmulti-regional conference, I expect that it will stay that way in the new plans for d3 sports regions.

The effect for basketball for the UAA with respect to basketball RACs is that the UAA gets to choose which RAC its rep will serve on for each 3 year term.

Currently, the UAA reps sit on the East Region RAC for men's hoop, and the Great Lakes RAC for women's hoop.  This practice would be expected to continue in the new alignment plan, with different regions getting a chance to have UAA reps sit on their RACs every 3 years.

Feel free to source this ...

deiscanton

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 24, 2020, 01:26:25 PM
Reviving the thread, with the DIII Conference Commissioners approving regional realignment this week at the NCAA Convention by a vote of 40 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstaining--

The provision dealing with UAA representation on the basketball RACs is a section 7.2 of the UAA Basketball Code of Conduct, which link can be found off the UAA Basketball pages.  I will try to set up the link to it this weekend, but the section specifically points out what I previously wrote.  The section was just added in this season.

Here is the link:

https://www.uaasports.info/information/BasketballCodeofConduct.pdf

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I meant ... source where you got the regional information :)

deiscanton

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 24, 2020, 02:52:25 PM
I meant ... source where you got the regional information :)

The names of the current UAA RAC reps for basketball are listed on page 10 of both the men's and women's 2019-2020 Pre-Championship Basketball Manuals.

UAA men's basketball RAC rep is Like Flockerzi of Rochester, who sits on the East Region RAC.

The UAA women's basketball RAC rep is Jennifer Reimer of CWRU, who sits on the Great Lakes Region RAC.

If you are looking for something else, I apologize.

ronk

Quote from: deiscanton on January 24, 2020, 02:43:42 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 24, 2020, 01:26:25 PM

The provision dealing with UAA representation on the basketball RACs is a section 7.2 of the UAA Basketball Code of Conduct, which link can be found off the UAA Basketball pages.  I will try to set up the link to it this weekend, but the section specifically points out what I previously wrote.  The section was just added in this season.

Here is the link:

https://www.uaasports.info/information/BasketballCodeofConduct.pdf

The bold area may be Dave's area of concern.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

No... the entire topic and how the commissioners voted ...

deiscanton

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 24, 2020, 03:13:20 PM
No... the entire topic and how the commissioners voted ...

I am just going on what Dave reported last night on Hoopsville.  I do not have the minutes of yesterday's meeting from the convention.  When the NCAA posts them, I will review it.  Anything else I wrote on the subject is just my speculative analysis, which is subject to change as more exact details come in.

Me and my big mouth...😕

Gregory Sager

Quote from: deiscanton on January 24, 2020, 03:26:57 PM
Me and my big mouth...😕

Hey, you keep doing you, Allen, and don't stop doing it. :) I appreciate it when a poster has the time and the desire to try to stay on top of NCAA legislative minutiae. It saves me from having to try to do it myself. ;)