MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddy_Ballgame

Fantastic year for the Hens. First NCAA Tournament win since 2003. Set program records for regular season wins, conference wins, win-streak. Rosenbaum goes down as the #2 all-time scorer in program history. Apart from CMS last year, it had been years since a SCIAC team won a tournament game against a non-SCIAC team.

Watched most of the game Saturday night. We were in control and playing great defense for most of the first half. Ultimately, though, I think Whitman just tired our guys out. They had a full-court press going all night, and I think our studs just got worn down in the second half (exacerbated by playing two nights in a row), and started turning the ball over and missed a lot of shots. Whitman was deeper and didn't have to rely on as many minutes from their horses. Whitman's lead was as much as 20 with 3:30 left to play. Koch really struggled (2 points, 5 fouls, 6 turnovers), but leaves Pomona as one of the great players in program history.

Hats off to the team. Will be rooting for Whitman to cut down the nets so we can say that we were the only team all year to beat them!

greg21grimm

Quote from: AlltheKINGSmen99 on February 25, 2019, 06:31:57 PM

You forgot one......

Quote from: AlltheKINGSmen99 on February 21, 2019, 07:22:50 PM
They 100% made the wrong hire but would keeping Rider's assistant have been any different? Maybe a few games here and there but they wouldn't be in the conference tournament with him either.

2016-17 they maybe won 20 games, they may have been 2nd in SCIAC by only one game, the may have been ranked in the region....oh, and they may have not only played in the conference tournament, they played for the championship.

RIder's staff had a full year to interview. Their local recruiting was abysmal, their overall record was mediocre. One year of ALMOST making the tournament should have gotten them the job? They routinely had top talent and routinely missed the tournament. The conference tournament should have saved them. Consistent top 4 finishes then win 2 games in 2 days. Yet it never did save them. They couldn't get over the hump. Isn't it possible the admin viewed another near miss as just more of the same?
[/quote]

I think the coaching staff proved what they could do with the "full year to interview."
That was the best record by any first year head coach in the history of CLU.
Only the 5th time in school history they had 20 wins.
First time they won a home SCIAC tourney game.
Ranked in the region.
Recruiting locally? http://www.clusports.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/roster
Had to do some research but, Cirillo (Moorpark), Dawe (Saugus), Francis (Mission Hills), Wood (Newport Beach), Richey (Santa Barbara), Miles (Torrance), Cole (Redondo), Moffett (Canyon Country), Ferreira (Bakersfield).

Teddy_Ballgame

Congrats to Daniel Rosenbaum on being named to D3hoops 1st Team All West Region and winning the fan vote to go to the NABC DIII all star game!

Congratulations as well to Oxy's Zach Baines who was named to D3hoops 2nd Team All West Region.

AlltheKINGSmen99

Grimm -

Let me say a few things. One I watched you play many times. I am glad you wore the purple and gold. You were the kind of player that made alums proud.

When I said local recruiting I was more referring to the players from immediately around CLU that they never even recruited. When is the last time Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Oaks Christian, Westlake, Agoura, Calabasas had their players go to CLU. They have had guys that could make an impact in the SCIAC. The coaches I have come across in the area say it was rare to have CLU recruit their guys.

We do differ on if keeping Rider's staff intact was the answer. We agree that they made the wrong hire once the job was open.

greg21grimm

Quote from: AlltheKINGSmen99 on March 11, 2019, 04:09:29 PM
Grimm -

Let me say a few things. One I watched you play many times. I am glad you wore the purple and gold. You were the kind of player that made alums proud.

When I said local recruiting I was more referring to the players from immediately around CLU that they never even recruited. When is the last time Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Oaks Christian, Westlake, Agoura, Calabasas had their players go to CLU. They have had guys that could make an impact in the SCIAC. The coaches I have come across in the area say it was rare to have CLU recruit their guys.

We do differ on if keeping Rider's staff intact was the answer. We agree that they made the wrong hire once the job was open.

Thank you for the kind words. But my success was a direct reflection of the guidance my coaching staff gave me.

OxyBob

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 02, 2019, 11:13:38 PM
Also an interesting tidbit from the Whitman announcer, Greg Pop was the last Sagehens Head Coach!

Fascinating! None of us SCIAC fans were aware that Popovich coached at Pomona.

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on March 04, 2019, 03:19:06 PM
Fantastic year for the Hens. First NCAA Tournament win since 2003. Set program records for regular season wins, conference wins, win-streak. Rosenbaum goes down as the #2 all-time scorer in program history. Apart from CMS last year, it had been years since a SCIAC team won a tournament game against a non-SCIAC team.

Concur. Congratulations to Pomona and Coach Kat for a great season.

OxyBob

BluesBrother

Apart from CMS last year, it had been years since a SCIAC team won a tournament game against a non-SCIAC team.

Last two years. CMS knocked out Whitworth in 2017 and 2018 in the first round before running in Whitman in the second round. Awfully tough path for SCIAC these past few years, which is too bad because both the CMS teams and this year's P-P team looked Sweet 16 caliber.

BluesBrother

By the way, vote for Austin Butler to represent D3 in the Slam Dunk Contest at the Final Four!

http://www.darkhorsedunker.com/

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: BluesBrother on March 19, 2019, 07:31:32 PM
Apart from CMS last year, it had been years since a SCIAC team won a tournament game against a non-SCIAC team.

Last two years. CMS knocked out Whitworth in 2017 and 2018 in the first round before running in Whitman in the second round. Awfully tough path for SCIAC these past few years, which is too bad because both the CMS teams and this year's P-P team looked Sweet 16 caliber.

Thanks for the correction - you're right. Despite streaming the Friday game in our office each year, I still manage to blend them together due to the opponents. Crazy that the SCIAC has now won their first game and then faced Whitman three years in a row... Hopefully next year someone can break through!

Speaking of which, I know Pomona is losing a lot in Koch and Rosenbaum. Their depth might be better next year, but losing two perennial all conference guys is never easy. I don't know a ton about the rest of the teams in conference, who do folks think will be the main contenders next year? CMS only graduates two (though both were starters) and are always competitive. How bout Oxy? Redlands?

AlltheKINGSmen99

Grimm any insight to what is happening at CLU?
Rumors were the new coach was looking at other jobs.
They return a lot according to the online roster then announced an 8 man recruiting class on social media.
Are players continuing to leave?

greg21grimm

Quote from: AlltheKINGSmen99 on May 08, 2019, 10:46:09 AM
Grimm any insight to what is happening at CLU?
Rumors were the new coach was looking at other jobs.
They return a lot according to the online roster then announced an 8 man recruiting class on social media.
Are players continuing to leave?

I have no ties to the current basketball program at CLU, so I am unaware of any happenings within the program. I thought with your strong ties to the HS coaches in the surrounding area that would make you more privy to that information.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: greg21grimm on July 12, 2019, 01:36:12 AM
That didn't take long
https://hoopdirt.com/diii-dirt-waynesburg-set-to-hire-current-diii-head-coach/

That is embarrassing for the Cal Lu athletic department.  You bring a guy in with zero ties to CA and he splits after two very mediocre years.  He also splits in the middle of the summer when it's too late for players to go elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see what direction they go with the next hire.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Jack Parkman on July 12, 2019, 11:10:41 PM
Quote from: greg21grimm on July 12, 2019, 01:36:12 AM
That didn't take long
https://hoopdirt.com/diii-dirt-waynesburg-set-to-hire-current-diii-head-coach/

That is embarrassing for the Cal Lu athletic department.  You bring a guy in with zero ties to CA and he splits after two very mediocre years.  He also splits in the middle of the summer when it's too late for players to go elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see what direction they go with the next hire.
Waynesburg would have similar recruiting/enrollment issues.
But the PAC has almost zero interest on these boards.  So who cares?  ;D
Fierce When Roused

socalcoach

I am expecting a quick hire at Cal Lutheran and I think it will be a strong choice. I think it will happen in the next few days.