WBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by charge, October 30, 2004, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

that's a nice group of newcomers, accomplished academically and athletically

FCGrizzliesGrad

For those not keeping track, latest conference news is high contact risk sports in the fall (football, soccer, volleyball) have finally been postponed to spring. Low contact risk (golf, tennis, cross country) are still proceeding (but lots of other conferences have halted all fall sports). Basketball hasn't been decided yet but is in the high contact risk group.
QuoteA decision on the timing of basketball season (defined as high contact risk sport by the NCAA) will be made in the near future. Swimming and diving is classified as a low contact risk sport and will continue forward with its standard schedule.  The sports of indoor and outdoor track and field, men's lacrosse and women's lacrosse have also not been altered at this time.

In other news, conference branding will be getting a new look on Monday. Honestly I haven't cared too much for the current look so hopefully it stands out a little more.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

FCGrizzliesGrad

New conference look has been released https://spark.adobe.com/page/whjtMIQ80mTgw/

Blue, green, and gray colors instead of the maroon of old.
Two logos, primary saying 'Heartland' and secondary saying 'HCAC'
School specific versions of the logos
Each sport has their own versions as well

QuoteThe two words forming the league's moniker served as inspiration for the brand narrative:

HEART – The word 'Heart' is underlined to emphasize the competitive spirit and unified community of the HCAC. This positive bond of community felt within the conference was referenced universally throughout the process. Unity, sportsmanship and a sense of family was concurrent in the feedback from student-athletes, administrators and other conference stakeholders. Passion and commitment were also identified as key league values.

LAND – The land is represented visually in the logo with three rows of abstract farmland. This element showcases the geographical link of the 10 member campuses while also highlighting the conference's membership in NCAA Division III.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Basketball schedules have been released. First games will be January 16th. 13 games plus an expanded 8 team conference tournament

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 29, 2020, 06:01:44 PM
Basketball schedules have been released. First games will be January 16th. 13 games plus an expanded 8 team conference tournament

Don't be surprised if this is pushed a bit ... I am hearing from more and more schools two things: some schools are leery of letting students on campus before all students are expected on campus for the spring semester; there is a 7-10 day period of time per the NCAA teams have to practice and get up to speed before anything serious starts.

That is also dependent on whether schools bring students back to campus in the first place. That what if is right now become more and more of a question mark.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Jester1390

Maybe the youngest confrence in country

1. Earlham 4 freshman 4 senior

2.Defiance and Hanover no info   each have 1 senior

3.Manchester leading the pack 12 fresh  0 seniors. I dont know if i was  aparent i would be happy with 12 players being signed

4. St Joe 7 fresh 4 senior

5.Transy 6 fresh 4 senior

6.Franlin according to twitter 9 Fresh 4 senior

7.Bluffton according to twitter 7 fresh 4 senior

8. Anderson according to twitter only 1 fresh 1 senior

9. Rose 6 fresh 0 seniors

Franklin I saw the girl who was fighting for her life  got to go home that is terriffic,

Engine some news on rose. First the bad news Nosa Igehon has decided not to play anymore.  I will miss her she was a terriffic player but she is even a better person she is still attending Rose so im glad I will still get to see her..  The freshman class are doing well and shomba is the real deal.

on apersonal note kahlan is still rehabbing her wrist from the torn ligament she played with last year  and has started dribbling and hopes to start shooting in 2 weeks.  mor eimportantly lol after 10 years of everyone telling her she should shoot more. These words came out of her mouth. You know dad its embarrassing i only scored 4pts a game i really need to be more aggressive and shoot more.  The clouds opened up and a ray of light shined on her and the birds started signing and babies stopped crying and a dad thought to himself well its about damn time you said that.

hope everyone is doing good and its damn ridiculus they are practicing with masks on  i think that could cause way more dmagae potentially then covid

Jester1390

Update to Anderson they have posted roster 2 freshman  and 1 senior

Jester1390

at this time 4 teams are set to play non cinfrence games in nov and dec  Bluffton,Defiance and Manchester.    Manchester and Mt s t joesph have set up a game against each other in november as well. I would say 80 percent Rose will join this list

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Jester1390

Today. Rose hulman told players they will be staying on campus and they will be playing non confrence  games.  No schedule yet but it appears games in November.    I talked today to another parent with a daughter on a team in the MIAC.  He is convinced they will shut  down the season After Carleton cancelled their season.  I'm glad my daughter is attending a school in Indiana

Jester1390

Parents were told today about 2 scheduled games for Rose in December

Tuesday Dec. 1st vs Trine U. at our place -  time TBD                Saturday Dec. 5th @ Adrian Col. In Michigan – time TBD

They are also working on that tournament i heard about at washington u  in stlouis having a tournament in a bubble

Jester1390

Well i have written about my daughter and her team on this site but tonight i get to announce a huge personal achievment and i have to tell you a place i could never imagine.

I want to say how happy i am I get to Appalude or Smite people.  This is a moment that I doubted would ever come with there only being 9 pages in i dont know 20 years for the HCAC page when I first posted.

We now have 37 pages and I just want to say thanks to those that helped me get to this place. First grace be to God and then of course RogK and even though we are bitter enemies FCGrizzlies and also Baldini where the hell are you and my brother in arms Engineer. Without them we would not have been able to more then triple the amount of pages for HCAC  I could possibly also not mention Gregory Sager and the legend even though he has never taken time to respond to a post from me Mr. Yipsi.  Also a shout out to the best announcer i ever had call a game of my daughters and was very gentle on the freshman laden team the great voice of  jaybird.

Last but not least even though we had a tiff at one timea big thank you to Pat Coleman who without this site I wouldnt get to brag about my daughter.

I look forward to smiting all of you and maybe every once in awhile a pat on the back

Jester1390

Thought it might be interesting to see how many returning players decided to not come back to the team

Start with Rose 2 players   

Igehon  all freshman team
Young  DNP  due to injury

Manchester 4 players

Rodrigues 2.8 min a game 0 points
Norton DNP
Fillmore 10  min a game 1.5 pts
Brown played in 1 game

Transyvania 1 player

Megibben  6'2 player   3.9 min a game 1.5 pts

Bluffton 2 players

Smith 6'1  8.9 min 1.3 pts
Case 3.3 min  less then a point a game

Anderson 3 players one being a main player. The did have one player transfer from Macmurray her name is Cardwell is a sophmore guard averaged 15.7 min and 3 pts a game

Ault 26.1 min   5.7 pts
Aiman DNP
Morris 11.8 min 2,8 pts

Mount St Joesph 3 players one being a main player. Do have a player named Strange who is on roster looks like she wasnt on team last year but was at the school

Marcum 29.9 min 6pts
Hines   3.1 min  0 pts
Moody  9.4 min 1.5 pts

aLL OTHER SCHOOLS HAVE NOT POST THIS YEAR ROSTER YET.

Jester1390

Well Rogk  it looks like I will be returning to Illinois Wesleyan Rose-Hulman just posted on their schedule site they are playing in the midwest challenge on nov 28 and 29. They also will be playing in the North Park Challenge on Nov 20 and 21st.

who they are playing isnt listed. I dont know if i told you this in the past but my kid told me that Sosas release was the quickest she had guarded and that includes Paige Bueckers.