Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: TUAngola on November 03, 2018, 11:30:58 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 03, 2018, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: gordonmann on November 02, 2018, 12:52:25 PM
Speaking of surprise departures...

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/11/gould-gone-from-trine

And the story has been updated with the following statement given to D3hoops.com:

"On Oct. 16, 2018, Trine University suspended women's head basketball coach Ryan Gould pending an investigation into potential violations of Gould's contractual obligations and potential violations of university policies. As a result of that investigation, Mr. Gould's employment with the university has been terminated effective Oct. 31, 2018. Going forward, the women's basketball team will be led by interim head coach Andy Rang."
No inside information here other than the statement the University released.  This is huge news, I first learned of the suspension the beginning of this week.  Andy Rang does have many years experience both as an assistant and head coach in high school however.  It will be interesting to see how the girls respond to adversity.  They had an exhibition game against D1 Butler Wednesday evening and it did not go well, losing 69-31.

I'm confused .. were you expecting inside information? I don't think we said we had any inside information. Though, not from a lack of trying (and continue to try).

It is very strange to see this kind of thing transpire. We certainly aren't going to speculate and we wouldn't publish anything unless we had it locked up tight.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 04, 2018, 10:21:46 PM
Quote from: TUAngola on November 03, 2018, 11:30:58 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 03, 2018, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: gordonmann on November 02, 2018, 12:52:25 PM
Speaking of surprise departures...

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/11/gould-gone-from-trine

And the story has been updated with the following statement given to D3hoops.com:

"On Oct. 16, 2018, Trine University suspended women's head basketball coach Ryan Gould pending an investigation into potential violations of Gould's contractual obligations and potential violations of university policies. As a result of that investigation, Mr. Gould's employment with the university has been terminated effective Oct. 31, 2018. Going forward, the women's basketball team will be led by interim head coach Andy Rang."
No inside information here other than the statement the University released.  This is huge news, I first learned of the suspension the beginning of this week.  Andy Rang does have many years experience both as an assistant and head coach in high school however.  It will be interesting to see how the girls respond to adversity.  They had an exhibition game against D1 Butler Wednesday evening and it did not go well, losing 69-31.

I'm confused .. were you expecting inside information? I don't think we said we had any inside information. Though, not from a lack of trying (and continue to try).

It is very strange to see this kind of thing transpire. We certainly aren't going to speculate and we wouldn't publish anything unless we had it locked up tight.

Dave- I believe TUAngola was using "here" to refer to himself - not D3Hoops
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

gordonmann

Right, he was saying. "I don't have any insider information..."

TUAngola

Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, I was commenting that I didn't have any other information to add, even though I am just a stones throw from campus.  I did find it odd that the Trine WBB twitter account, which usually is very active, all of a sudden went silent beginning on Oct 16.  Which now makes sense because that is when Coach Gould was first suspended from his coaching duties.

Another bit of news, I always take a weekly look at the roster on the team page to see if there are any "subtractions" from the original roster, which in DIII sports isn't all that unusual.  Today I noticed one of the girls is no longer on the roster.  I have no idea if it's somehow related to Coach being gone...it could be though. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

You know ... I read that multiple times thinking ... I wondering if he is saying he doesn't have inside information or not. I seriously tried to see if that is what he meant ... and I just couldn't get my head to turn in that direction. Sorry for the confusion then.

As for the Twitter account ... you can deduce from it stopping on Oct. 16 who probably had access and was running the account. :) I actually did the same thing and look at the account and quickly saw that correlation.

As for the roster change ... certainly hard to speculate, but it also could very likely be related. Do you remember who the player was? If so, private message me that. I rather not put that out into the open arena.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Roundball999

Coach's poll, no surprises here:

Rank

Team

First-Place Votes

1. Hope 64 points 8
2. Trine 56 points 1
3. Albion 50 points   
4. Calvin 44 points   
5. Adrian 31 points   
6. Olivet 27 points   
7. Saint Mary's 18 points   
T8. Alma 17 points   
T8. Kalamazoo 17 points   

TUAngola

Trine opens the 2018-2019 season with a 76-62 win over Denison at the MTI Center.  As with any opening game there were some good things and not so good.  We started 3 seniors, a junior and soph Shay Herbert in the post to replace the graduated Haley Martin.  Brandi Dawson played like an All American player should play, she'll be tough to guard.  And she showed she can hit an open 3 if you give her too much space.  I thought Katy Steers looked very good, much more confident in her game today and is strong enough to finish in the paint.  We also got good minutes from 4 freshman, Sophia Kreag, Kayla Wildman, Kelsey Taylor and Tara Bieniewicz, who looks to be one of the more skilled freshman we've had here in a while, outside of Brandi.  She has a smooth stroke from outside and at 6' has good size for a wing.  She ended up being the 2nd leading scorer with 18 pts after Brandi's 24.  Katy rounded out the double figure scorers with 14.  Both returning players Cassidy Williams and Montana Martin struggled with their shots today.  Montana has always been the "6th man" but she started today. It could be that she is a better player off the bench perhaps?  Cassidy has never been offensively gifted but we need her on the floor because she is our defensive stopper.

Denison hung tough for 3 quarters then Trine really put the clamps down in the 4th and Tara nailed some big 3s to get us some breathing room.  Good first win for Coach Andy Rang, after the turbulent October with the dismissal of Coach Gould.  I didn't see anything out of the ordinary as far as his philosophy over Coach Gould's, runs a lot of the same stuff.  I'm sure he'll "tweak" some things to fit his coaching style as the season progresses.  The girls seemed to not really skip a beat with the coaching change, all were enthusiastic from the get go.     

Roundball999

Nice MIAA opener for the Flying Dutch last night with an 88-50 win over Adrian.  16 Hope players scored and the minutes were spread over the entire roster with no one playing more than 18.  Hope generated 35 Adrian turnovers and was really pushing the ball, meaning fewer set plays and inside touches than usual for All American Frankie Buchanan, however she got in the spirit by hitting the only 3 she took.  Hope did give up a few uncharacteristic layups in the first half especially, but that's going to happen with their typical overplay defense when you have a bunch of younger players still learning to help out on the backside.

Overall a very strong start to the conference schedule for Hope.  Was very impressed by the play of sophomore Sydney Muller, who transferred in to Hope from NIAI Cornerstone University where she was a starter as a freshman last year.  She has only added to an already very strong group of young guards for the Dutch.  Also looks like sophomores 6'3" Olivia Voskuil and 6'2" Ashley Thomas have significantly improved their aggressiveness and offensive skills since last year.  Future continues to look very bright for the Dutch.

Roundball999

Watched Hope at Olivet yesterday.  Pretty much played out as you would expect, very solid win for Hope with PT and scoring spread around again.  I just had to comment on Frankie Buchanan's 19 point/19 rebound (11 offensive boards) performance in a little more than a half.  She is not flashy but she is just relentless in the low post.  Strong moves to either hand commands either a double or even triple team otherwise she gets a layup or very makeable short shot.  But she's not just a black hole down low, she'll kick it out for the open three when she's doubled.  She actually doesn't usually get the assist because Hope is very good about making that extra pass to get an even better shot.  Her game kind of sneaks up on you, it's not as noticeable as someone raining threes or making slashing drives;  she does most of her work in the low post but her toughness and work ethic is very impressive.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season is nearly a month along. We have reached the first quarter pole of the season to evaluate where everyone is and where teams are headed. There have been plenty of surprises, upsets, teams stubbing their toes, and more. There are also some who are doing well despite maybe not being fully saddled when they left the gate.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave takes a look at three programs which had very late coaching decisions and how those decisions have affected the programs. Two teams, Salisbury men and Trine women, saw their coaches suspended and then fired in the month leading up to their first games. Another, Brandeis men, saw their coach make national headlines, be fired, an interim hired, but then that decision reversed and a new coach hired just two weeks before practices began.

All three, are off to terrific starts accounting for a total of two losses on the season so far.

What is it like to adjust to a last minute coaching change? What is it like to take over a program, or enter an athletic department and school, in such perceived turmoil? How hard is it to put the blinders on and focus at the task at hand? We follow up Ryan Scott's terrific story last week with a chat with two players and a coach on the experience of dealing with change.

Plus, after years of waiting it finally happened! Division III women's basketball is getting it's own All-Star Game! Williams' coach Pat Manning discusses the long journey to the announcement, how they found a sponsor, and why the game will be the center piece of changing the women's Championship Weekend altogether.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show live starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2E4YCb4.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Jean Bain, Brandeis men's coach
- Chase Kumor, Salisbury men's senior
- Cassidy Williams, No. 11 Trine women's senior
- Pat Manning, Williams' head coach & WBCA All-Star Game Committee member

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Roundball999

Tough test for Hope today, the Flying Dutch came back from down 4 entering the 4th to win by 8.  Not sure exactly what happened to the Dutch in the 3rd except they couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and Albion could, so the Brits won the quarter 25-9.  Albion has a nice team, very tough and good on the boards.  They came in 7-1 with their only loss being to undefeated WI-Stout.  They are going to be trouble throughout the year for everyone they play.  Tough game like this can only help the Dutch, who hadn't really been tested and look to be lined up to run into a buzzsaw next weekend with Thomas More.

Roundball999

Solid win for the Dutch last night over overmatched Finlandia.  Nice to see all 17 players on the roster, including several from JV, played between 9-16 minutes.

That sets up a big game vs Thomas More today.  Though Hope has a higher ranking in the polls #2 vs #4 and they're playing at Devos, Massey has TMU as #1 and favors the Saints 76-65.  TMU knocked off Hope in the NCAA sectionals at Devos last year, and though they lost 4 of 5 starters the Saints still feature POY candidate Madison Temple.  She carried the Saints over the Dutch last year and as far as I can see, she's improved even further.  Hope has more balance and more weapons but I haven't seen that Hope has a lock down defender that could contain Temple.   In years past, standout Hope defenders such as Autumn Anderson, Hannah Doell or even PG Liz Ellis might have matched up with Temple to slow her down somewhat.  If Temple has another big game, I think the Dutch will need to counter with at least 4 players in doubles figure to have a chance. 

Roundball999

After they were thumped by Thomas More I questioned whether Hope was as strong as I thought. But after solids wins during the holidays over a very solid Oglethorpe squad and handing UW Oshkosh its first loss, I am thinking that yes Hope is very good and Thomas More is quite outstanding. 

The Flying Dutch jump right back into it Wednesday with a crucial league game hosting Trine.  Even though it's the first league game, it should establish the clear MIAA team to beat.

OC_SID

Quote from: Roundball999 on December 31, 2018, 06:19:13 PM
The Flying Dutch jump right back into it Wednesday with a crucial league game hosting Trine.  Even though it's the first league game, it should establish the clear MIAA team to beat.

Not the first league game. Remember, the women play either three or four MIAA games before the holidays.

Roundball999

Of course you're right, seems so long ago that I completely forgot!