BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougiesGoinDeep

Don't sleep on how good Trinity's line up is this year. They got somewhat overshadowed last year because of the amazing pitching numbers their staff put up, but they return 4 first team All-New England hitters, far more than any other team, not to mention they hit 2 through 5 in the lineup. No one in New England has a 2-3-4-5 combo as good as Trinity, with a combined 33 HR's and 186 RBI returning. While all of the LEC teams will beat up on each other each weekend, Trinity will be fresh to make another run. Sorry to dissapoint folks, but its a 5 team race in New England this year, with Trinity USM ECSU KSC and Wheaton. These 5 teams are by far ahead of everyone else and it will be one of them representing New England in Wisconsin. I think this could be the year that we see one of these 5 shipped to the New York regional and actually win it and put two New England teams in Wisconsin. Can't wait for a great season.

dgilblair

Quote from: DougiesGoinDeep on February 07, 2009, 03:24:35 PM
Don't sleep on how good Trinity's line up is this year. They got somewhat overshadowed last year because of the amazing pitching numbers their staff put up, but they return 4 first team All-New England hitters, far more than any other team, not to mention they hit 2 through 5 in the lineup. No one in New England has a 2-3-4-5 combo as good as Trinity, with a combined 33 HR's and 186 RBI returning. While all of the LEC teams will beat up on each other each weekend, Trinity will be fresh to make another run. Sorry to dissapoint folks, but its a 5 team race in New England this year, with Trinity USM ECSU KSC and Wheaton. These 5 teams are by far ahead of everyone else and it will be one of them representing New England in Wisconsin. I think this could be the year that we see one of these 5 shipped to the New York regional and actually win it and put two New England teams in Wisconsin. Can't wait for a great season.

Thats true their 2-5 could be the best in NE, but I'm sure ECSU and USM can match them.  Maine must even surpass them as far as those numbers go.  I just think losing that much pitching it is awful hard the next year.  I pull for Trinity when we don't play them, so I hope they have a good year.

mans007

Trinity does have a solid team coming back but they have to understand one MAJOR thing. After you win it, it get's much, much, harder. First off, your players think there awesome and they should, they won the title last year. Girls love them, there the kings of campus. Secondly, after you win it, everyone and there mother wants to beat you and see you be beaten. Trinity has never gone through it before so they don't know what s its like to have a target on there back.  Even if Trinity had everyone back, it would be soooooo hard to dominate like they did. #1 its so tough to be "as" motivated as before you won it. #2 everyone wants to kick your butt. Just some food for thought that I don't think many people put into the equation.

hockeyfan77

Quote from: DougiesGoinDeep on February 07, 2009, 03:24:35 PM

I am pretty sure USM can match trinity's 2-5 in the order...:)   #2 Chris Burleson  .383  9 HR 50 RBI,  #3 Ryan Pike  .362  10HR 33 RBI  #4 Anthony D'Alfonso.  .393   15HR   62 RBI  #5  Ryan Gaffney  .361  1HR 38 RBI...and we can go #6  Jordan Berthiaume.  .350  3HR 38 RBI...

ecfaninri

hockeyfan77...
Don't forget the lineup ECSU posted last year with Gilblair ...403 and 12 HR, Castillo .354 and 11 HR, and Parke, Dewing, Hobbes, and Bass all hitting ..350 or better.  Coupled with the speed of Parke, Castillo, and Cousineau... the pitching staff may have a lot of runs to play with.
But until Trinity proves last year was just something special... they won't forget how to win. Remember it was Bayer last year in the Trinity showdown with the Warriors who shut down that hit attack in Willimantic.
It was probably the worst game Eastern played last year. 
I think the addition of the transfer from UConn, Musson will only add to the mix of the ECSU lineup.
Defense will probably improve on the 48 + errors from the infield last year.

KSCfan

The GNAC- You are right about St. Joes of Maine.  I did sleep on them, i would put them into my top 10 teams in NE if i could repick em.  However, it seems that St Joes always seems to do well in the regular season win thier bad conference and go 1-2 or 0-2 in the regionals.  That being said i have lots of respect for them, and thier program.  Good point on St Joes of Maine. 

On the Trinity aspect, i still think they are number 1 until someone proves otherwise.  Do i think they will repeat as National Champions?  Prob not, but there has not been a back to back in a long time.  Also i think that Hockeyfan hit it on the head that Southern Maines lineup just flat out rakes.  The difference between Trinity and Southern Maine last year was pitching.  I have never seen pitching like Trinity had last year.  They lost 31 wins on the mound but they still have some horses left to be there in the end.

hockeyfan77

Quote from: ecfaninri on February 09, 2009, 08:16:50 AM
hockeyfan77...
Don't forget the lineup ECSU posted last year with Gilblair ...403 and 12 HR, Castillo .354 and 11 HR, and Parke, Dewing, Hobbes, and Bass all hitting ..350 or better.  Coupled with the speed of Parke, Castillo, and Cousineau... the pitching staff may have a lot of runs to play with.
But until Trinity proves last year was just something special... they won't forget how to win. Remember it was Bayer last year in the Trinity showdown with the Warriors who shut down that hit attack in Willimantic.
It was probably the worst game Eastern played last year. 
I think the addition of the transfer from UConn, Musson will only add to the mix of the ECSU lineup.
Defense will probably improve on the 48 + errors from the infield last year.

Oh, I wasn't forgetting about Eastern...From a USM point of view how can you...I was just pointing out that I don't think Trinity had the best 2-3-4-5 in the Northeast...I too would rank Trinity HITTING behind Eastern and USM...

dgilblair

Quote from: mans007 on February 08, 2009, 10:44:25 PM
Trinity does have a solid team coming back but they have to understand one MAJOR thing. After you win it, it get's much, much, harder. First off, your players think there awesome and they should, they won the title last year. Girls love them, there the kings of campus. Secondly, after you win it, everyone and there mother wants to beat you and see you be beaten. Trinity has never gone through it before so they don't know what s its like to have a target on there back.  Even if Trinity had everyone back, it would be soooooo hard to dominate like they did. #1 its so tough to be "as" motivated as before you won it. #2 everyone wants to kick your butt. Just some food for thought that I don't think many people put into the equation.

Your right mans007, history shows just how hard it is to repeat.  The target will be there all year.  I'd like to know the history of teams that lost three starters that totaled 31 of their wins, what their record was the next year?  Thats just seems like a lot to replace.  Bayer can't pitch three times a week.  Now maybe they have some arms in the wings but thats a lot of talent.  Those three guys were special as a group last year.

mans007

Good responses all on the message board but I think you were misunderstanding my meaning.  Although Trinity dosn't play a tough schedule (in comparison to little east teams).  I am not talking about repeating, i'm talking about playing day in and day out in regular season. Those teams you'd walk through in past years won't be as easy to beat, no matter what the skill level is.  Trinity will now play teams who in the past may not have pitched there #1, 2 or 3, but now they may because to beat the defending national champ means more to there program then some conference games. I know it sounds crazy but it true. Even if they face a #5, 6, 7 on a staff, that kid pitching may pitch the game of his life now. I think trinity will face the toughest factor they have ever faced... expectation. Once you win it, you now know you should never lose. In a season, thats alot of weight to carry and it can be VERY draining.

KSCfan

Any New England D3 players in a spring training this year?  I like going on the minor league baseball site and tracking thier progress.  I know that Fairchild from USM was in Double A last year, and Furbush from St. Joes did well last year.  I was just wondering about anyone else.  Any names to keep tab on would be great thanks

ECSUalum

Quote from: KSCfan on February 10, 2009, 09:43:38 AM
Any New England D3 players in a spring training this year?  I like going on the minor league baseball site and tracking thier progress.  I know that Fairchild from USM was in Double A last year, and Furbush from St. Joes did well last year.  I was just wondering about anyone else.  Any names to keep tab on would be great thanks

KSCFan,

Check "D-3 players in Minor Leagues/MLB" thread for a bunch of info from Oshdude/others

KSCfan

Thanks Alum, that is an interesting thread that i never knew about.

TheGNAC

TheGNAC's 2009 New England Region Preview

Hello everyone, it's that time again. Here are my 2009 rankings, with little write-ups for all the top 10 teams. This took a lot of effort and research, so all comments and critiques are welcomed.

1. Trinity - 45-1 - What are these guys going to do for an encore? Walk on water? The Bantams went 45-1 (!) in 2008, the greatest season in recorded collegiate baseball history. They won the NESCAC. They won the New England regional. They won the College World Series. Really, the only way they can improve upon 2008 is by finishing 46-0, and I don't see that happening. Still, they're the consensus #1 team in New England, and for good reason. Although they graduated 3 of their top 4 arms from last year, their offense is still one of the most formidable in New England, led by pre-season All-American C Sean Killeen and junior 1st baseman Kent Graham, who combined for 16 homers and 102 RBI in 2008. On the mound, the Bantams return Jeremiah Bayer, another pre-season All-American, who turned in an outstanding stat line of 9-0, 1.33 ERA, 71 K's in 81 innings pitched. I don't know if the Bantams will finish the year ranked 1st, but there's no other spot to put them right now.

2. Eastern Connecticut - 32-15-1 - The Evil Empire, as they've come to be known around these LEC-heavy parts, turned in a strong campaign in 2008, with a 32-15-1 mark and yet another trip to Harwich for the New England regionals. What is impressive about that feat however, is most of it was accomplished without the aid of Shawn Gilblair on the mound. The senior captain is already one of the most decorated players in Eastern's celebrated history, and is perhaps division III's premier two-way player. The lefthander did his usual damage at the plate, hitting .403 and belting 12 long balls to lead EConn's offense. Expect more of the same from Gilblair in 2009, as well as an impressive line on the mound. Aiding Gilblair on offense are SS Melvin Castillo, the 24 year old junior who can hit as well as anybody in New England, as well as co-captain 1B Tristan Hobbes, as steady as they came both at the plate and in the field. It should be interesting to see what happens with the pitching staff in 2009, as aside from Gilblair, there are a number of question marks. 9 game winner Jimmy Jagodzinski is reportedly gone (with eligibility remaining), as is Joe Esposito, plucked to the professional ranks. James Kukucka finished 2008 with a 6-1 mark in 47.1 innings, but I'm not sure he has the stuff to be the #2 EConn needs. Chris Wojick was a stud out of the bullpen last season, but it remains to be seen if he will make the transition to starting in 2009. Still, Eastern has the offense to hang with anybody, and if Coach Holywater (thanks word) can work his usual magic, expect EConn to find themselves playing for a regional title yet again in May.

3. Southern Maine - 36-14 I hesitated between putting USM 2nd and EConn 3rd, but in the end, Gilblair was the deciding factor. That's not to say USM doesn't have their own studs, of course. USM has yet to post their 2009 roster online, but the fact remains the majority of their contributors in 2008 were underclassmen, as the team went 36-14 en route to playing in the regional title game in May, before falling to eventual national champ Trinity. Southern Maine has perhaps the most potent offense in New England (and possibly the country), and any pitcher worth his salt will be having nightmares about pitching to the heart of their order. Anthony D'Alfonso is USM's most potent hitter, and the big man is going to have a tough time improving upon his 2008 totals, which saw him post .393, 15 HR, 62 RBI totals. Also back is Chris Burleson, one of the best players in the LEC since he arrived on campus in 2005. The IF/OF posted .383/9/50 totals in 08, and should once again do some serious damage with the stick in 09. It would take up much too much space to go through USM's lineup, as 1-9 they're as dangerous as any team in the country. What remains to be seen however is how they'll fair on the mound, as they don't have a clear-cut #1 stud like Trinity and Econn do. From my understanding, Collin Henry is their best bet in that regard, but in the end it might not matter, as USM managed 36 wins last year with a staff ERA og 5.13. They might just hit their way to Wisconsin.

4. Wheaton - 34-10 One of the lesser-talked about, yet always potent clubs in New England, Wheaton once again looks to be a contender in 2009. The boys from Norton, MA ran up an impressive 34-10 mark in 2008, and should be the team to beat in the NEWMAC once again. One of the least talked about, but perhaps most intriguing, storylines regarding the 2009 season is the return of Louie Bernardini to the Wheaton baseball team. Bernardini took a DNP in 2008, and is back for his final season of eligibility in 2009. The tall righthander is one of the best arms in Wheaton's short but prolific history, with a 14-6, 2.47 ERA in 171 career innings pitched. He's twice been named to the NEIBA All-Region team, and was named the NYCBL's Pitcher of the Year in the summer of 2006. Bernardini is on a short list of the top arms in the region, and his return should give Wheaton a much-needed boost on the mound. Also returning is All-American Adam Gingras, he of the 10-1, 2.09 career stat-line. Gingras was a perfect 8-0 on the bump in 2008, and has been named a D3Baseball.com pre-season All-American. Wheaton might have the region's best 1-2 punch, and as we all know, pitching wins championships. Throw in veteran arms like Nick Kostaras, Jared Barnes, and Josh Simmons, and you have one of the best pitching staffs in the country. I'm not sure if Wheaton has the offense to hang with the top teams in New England (Southern Maine's D'Alfonso almost out-homered their entire club in 2009), but when you can pitch and play defense like they can, it doesn't really matter. They're my dark horse selection to represent New England at the 2009 World Series.

5. Keene State - 34-11 I know this might make some of the KSC'ers upset, but I think this ranking is justified. The Owls have emerged as a powerhouse not only in the LEC but also in New England, making a trip to Harwich in May an annual rite of passage. Still, has their window to the World Series come and gone? With their losses on the mound, I fear it has. Look, the Owls can hang with anybody on offense, as they rival USM in that category. With hitters like Bobby Doyon (.408-6-50), Joe Rousseau (.405-0-35), and Beau Darak (.296-13-50) leading the way, expect some football-like scores to follow KSC in the box scores. They absolutely will hit the ball this season. The question is, will they pitch well? Gone is Jamie Morin, KSC's crafty southpaw. Too is enormous Phil Mabey, who, despite struggling in his final year at the swamp, now finds himself poised to sign a professional contract once he's through in the Arizona Winter League. Gone too is Greg Ford, one of the best two-way players in the LEC last year. Does Aaron Laplante (5-0, 2.77 ERA in 39 IP) have what it takes to be a #1 stud in the LEC? I'm not sure. Still, you can never count the Swampies out, and I fully expect them to once again make the trip to Harwich in May.

6. Suffolk - 29-12 As the name implies, I'm a GNAC guy. I see more games in this conference than any of the others. Still, I think this ranking is the absolute LOWEST the Rams should be, and I could definitely see them jumping into the top 4 come May. Keep in mind, Suffolk finished 2008 at 29-12 and was ranked #3 in New England in the final regional rankings before the selections were made, and if they hadn't imploded in the GNAC tournament against St. Joe's, they would have been in Harwich, too. The Rams return the majority of their record-setting squad from 2008 (they were the 1st and only team to ever run the table in the GNAC regular season, 12-0), although gone are #1 Steve Durant and perennial All New England selection Nick Martinho. Still, they have more than enough offense to hang with anybody in the region, led by junior captain Bobby Barrett (.363-3-28), SS Jose Alejandro (.333-0-26), and OF Keith Carter (.322-3-29). Suffolk also has the wheels to steal almost at will, as evidenced by their 86 stolen bags in 104 attempts last year. On the mound, Suffolk is led by 2nd team All New England selection Dan Delia (7-3, 1.68 ERA, 47 K in 64.1 IP). Also returning is senior left hander Reid Jackson, who has complied a 12-3 mark over the last 2 seasons, including wins over regional teams Southern Maine and Montclair State in 2008. Much like previous seasons, Suffolk will play one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country, with Southern Maine, Eastern Connecticut, Trinity, Rowan, and Keystone all on the schedule before their spring trip is over. The Rams have a lot of depth both on the mound and in the field, and I expect them to regain their spot atop the GNAC once May rolls around.

7. St. Joe's (Maine) - 28-18 - The Monks made their inaugural season in the GNAC count, winning the conference tournament as a #4 seed and finding their way to Harwich yet again, for the 3rd year in a row. In 2009 though, I'm not sure that streak will continue. Gone is All-World shortstop Luke Enman, one of the premier players in the country and one of the best shortstops I've ever seen at the D-3 level. Enman finished his school-boy career as inarguably the best position player in SJC history, and if it weren't for a kid named Charlie Furbush (RHP Detroit Tigers), he'd be their best ball player, period. Enman went out in style in 2008, finishing with a .368-7-41 line, while playing near-flawless defense. Make no mistake, he was the straw that stirred the Monks offensive-drink, and his loss is pretty much irreplaceable. They'll certainly try, though, led by Ben Grant-Roy (.367-7-41). Seems every year somebody emerges from the 50 or so players coach Will Sanborn keeps around, and 2008 should be no different in that regard. It's a different story on the mound for the Monks though, as back is former Maine Blackbear Pat Moran, who posted an up-and-down 4-5, 3.88, 43 K's in 48 IP line in 2008. Moran's a 6'4 righthander, and perhaps the closest thing to a power pitcher in D-3, with a fastball in the upper 80's and a devastating curveball. Expect his 2nd year in the GNAC to be an easier transition. Also returning is LHP Andrew Keirstead, who emerged as the Monks certified Suffolk-killer in 2008, beating the Rams twice in 2 weeks to leave them home come regional selection time. Keirstead was 6-3 in 08 while leading the staff in innings pitched, and he should once again help anchor the Monks plentiful pitching staff.

8. Williams - 24-12 The Ephs had an interesting campaign in 2008, going 24-12 but missing the regional tournament despite many prognosticators having them pegged as shoe-ins after their March trip. Still, the Ephs graduated just 5 seniors last season, and many key players have returned. On the mound they're led by Dan Benz, who has been one of the best pitchers in New England over the last 2 seasons. In 2008, he compiled a 6-2, 3.36 ERA with 56 K's in 59 IP. Perhaps most impressively, he limited hitters to just a .198 BA last year. He's a #1 of the Gilblair-Bayer-Bernardini/Gingras scale. Also returning is Ben Horowitz, who trailed only Benz in IP in 2008. The Eph's don't pack the punch that much of the rest of this list does, as they managed just 11 long balls in 2008. Still, their .327 team batting average is nothing to scoff at, although the departures of Max Pinto and James DiCosmo will hurt the Ephs, as OF and 2nd baseman combined to hit .388 and .382 with 5 of the club's 11 home runs. Back is Al Matthews (.384-1-30), but after that, much is left to be desired.

In the mix: Tufts, Amherst, Western New England, Roger Williams, Worcester State, Babson

New England Pitcher of the Year: Jeremiah Bayer, Trinity
New England Player of the Year: Shawn Gilblair

ECSUalum

Quote from: TheGNAC on February 12, 2009, 06:53:07 PM
TheGNAC's 2009 New England Region Preview

Hello everyone, it's that time again. Here are my 2009 rankings, with little write-ups for all the top 10 teams. This took a lot of effort and research, so all comments and critiques are welcomed.

1. Trinity - 45-1 - What are these guys going to do for an encore? Walk on water? The Bantams went 45-1 (!) in 2008, the greatest season in recorded collegiate baseball history. They won the NESCAC. They won the New England regional. They won the College World Series. Really, the only way they can improve upon 2008 is by finishing 46-0, and I don't see that happening. Still, they're the consensus #1 team in New England, and for good reason. Although they graduated 3 of their top 4 arms from last year, their offense is still one of the most formidable in New England, led by pre-season All-American C Sean Killeen and junior 1st baseman Kent Graham, who combined for 16 homers and 102 RBI in 2008. On the mound, the Bantams return Jeremiah Bayer, another pre-season All-American, who turned in an outstanding stat line of 9-0, 1.33 ERA, 71 K's in 81 innings pitched. I don't know if the Bantams will finish the year ranked 1st, but there's no other spot to put them right now.

2. Eastern Connecticut - 32-15-1 - The Evil Empire, as they've come to be known around these LEC-heavy parts, turned in a strong campaign in 2008, with a 32-15-1 mark and yet another trip to Harwich for the New England regionals. What is impressive about that feat however, is most of it was accomplished without the aid of Shawn Gilblair on the mound. The senior captain is already one of the most decorated players in Eastern's celebrated history, and is perhaps division III's premier two-way player. The lefthander did his usual damage at the plate, hitting .403 and belting 12 long balls to lead EConn's offense. Expect more of the same from Gilblair in 2009, as well as an impressive line on the mound. Aiding Gilblair on offense are SS Melvin Castillo, the 24 year old junior who can hit as well as anybody in New England, as well as co-captain 1B Tristan Hobbes, as steady as they came both at the plate and in the field. It should be interesting to see what happens with the pitching staff in 2009, as aside from Gilblair, there are a number of question marks. 9 game winner Jimmy Jagodzinski is reportedly gone (with eligibility remaining), as is Joe Esposito, plucked to the professional ranks. James Kukucka finished 2008 with a 6-1 mark in 47.1 innings, but I'm not sure he has the stuff to be the #2 EConn needs. Chris Wojick was a stud out of the bullpen last season, but it remains to be seen if he will make the transition to starting in 2009. Still, Eastern has the offense to hang with anybody, and if Coach Holywater (thanks word) can work his usual magic, expect EConn to find themselves playing for a regional title yet again in May.

3. Southern Maine - 36-14 I hesitated between putting USM 2nd and EConn 3rd, but in the end, Gilblair was the deciding factor. That's not to say USM doesn't have their own studs, of course. USM has yet to post their 2009 roster online, but the fact remains the majority of their contributors in 2008 were underclassmen, as the team went 36-14 en route to playing in the regional title game in May, before falling to eventual national champ Trinity. Southern Maine has perhaps the most potent offense in New England (and possibly the country), and any pitcher worth his salt will be having nightmares about pitching to the heart of their order. Anthony D'Alfonso is USM's most potent hitter, and the big man is going to have a tough time improving upon his 2008 totals, which saw him post .393, 15 HR, 62 RBI totals. Also back is Chris Burleson, one of the best players in the LEC since he arrived on campus in 2005. The IF/OF posted .383/9/50 totals in 08, and should once again do some serious damage with the stick in 09. It would take up much too much space to go through USM's lineup, as 1-9 they're as dangerous as any team in the country. What remains to be seen however is how they'll fair on the mound, as they don't have a clear-cut #1 stud like Trinity and Econn do. From my understanding, Collin Henry is their best bet in that regard, but in the end it might not matter, as USM managed 36 wins last year with a staff ERA og 5.13. They might just hit their way to Wisconsin.

4. Wheaton - 34-10 One of the lesser-talked about, yet always potent clubs in New England, Wheaton once again looks to be a contender in 2009. The boys from Norton, MA ran up an impressive 34-10 mark in 2008, and should be the team to beat in the NEWMAC once again. One of the least talked about, but perhaps most intriguing, storylines regarding the 2009 season is the return of Louie Bernardini to the Wheaton baseball team. Bernardini took a DNP in 2008, and is back for his final season of eligibility in 2009. The tall righthander is one of the best arms in Wheaton's short but prolific history, with a 14-6, 2.47 ERA in 171 career innings pitched. He's twice been named to the NEIBA All-Region team, and was named the NYCBL's Pitcher of the Year in the summer of 2006. Bernardini is on a short list of the top arms in the region, and his return should give Wheaton a much-needed boost on the mound. Also returning is All-American Adam Gingras, he of the 10-1, 2.09 career stat-line. Gingras was a perfect 8-0 on the bump in 2008, and has been named a D3Baseball.com pre-season All-American. Wheaton might have the region's best 1-2 punch, and as we all know, pitching wins championships. Throw in veteran arms like Nick Kostaras, Jared Barnes, and Josh Simmons, and you have one of the best pitching staffs in the country. I'm not sure if Wheaton has the offense to hang with the top teams in New England (Southern Maine's D'Alfonso almost out-homered their entire club in 2009), but when you can pitch and play defense like they can, it doesn't really matter. They're my dark horse selection to represent New England at the 2009 World Series.

5. Keene State - 34-11 I know this might make some of the KSC'ers upset, but I think this ranking is justified. The Owls have emerged as a powerhouse not only in the LEC but also in New England, making a trip to Harwich in May an annual rite of passage. Still, has their window to the World Series come and gone? With their losses on the mound, I fear it has. Look, the Owls can hang with anybody on offense, as they rival USM in that category. With hitters like Bobby Doyon (.408-6-50), Joe Rousseau (.405-0-35), and Beau Darak (.296-13-50) leading the way, expect some football-like scores to follow KSC in the box scores. They absolutely will hit the ball this season. The question is, will they pitch well? Gone is Jamie Morin, KSC's crafty southpaw. Too is enormous Phil Mabey, who, despite struggling in his final year at the swamp, now finds himself poised to sign a professional contract once he's through in the Arizona Winter League. Gone too is Greg Ford, one of the best two-way players in the LEC last year. Does Aaron Laplante (5-0, 2.77 ERA in 39 IP) have what it takes to be a #1 stud in the LEC? I'm not sure. Still, you can never count the Swampies out, and I fully expect them to once again make the trip to Harwich in May.

6. Suffolk - 29-12 As the name implies, I'm a GNAC guy. I see more games in this conference than any of the others. Still, I think this ranking is the absolute LOWEST the Rams should be, and I could definitely see them jumping into the top 4 come May. Keep in mind, Suffolk finished 2008 at 29-12 and was ranked #3 in New England in the final regional rankings before the selections were made, and if they hadn't imploded in the GNAC tournament against St. Joe's, they would have been in Harwich, too. The Rams return the majority of their record-setting squad from 2008 (they were the 1st and only team to ever run the table in the GNAC regular season, 12-0), although gone are #1 Steve Durant and perennial All New England selection Nick Martinho. Still, they have more than enough offense to hang with anybody in the region, led by junior captain Bobby Barrett (.363-3-28), SS Jose Alejandro (.333-0-26), and OF Keith Carter (.322-3-29). Suffolk also has the wheels to steal almost at will, as evidenced by their 86 stolen bags in 104 attempts last year. On the mound, Suffolk is led by 2nd team All New England selection Dan Delia (7-3, 1.68 ERA, 47 K in 64.1 IP). Also returning is senior left hander Reid Jackson, who has complied a 12-3 mark over the last 2 seasons, including wins over regional teams Southern Maine and Montclair State in 2008. Much like previous seasons, Suffolk will play one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country, with Southern Maine, Eastern Connecticut, Trinity, Rowan, and Keystone all on the schedule before their spring trip is over. The Rams have a lot of depth both on the mound and in the field, and I expect them to regain their spot atop the GNAC once May rolls around.

7. St. Joe's (Maine) - 28-18 - The Monks made their inaugural season in the GNAC count, winning the conference tournament as a #4 seed and finding their way to Harwich yet again, for the 3rd year in a row. In 2009 though, I'm not sure that streak will continue. Gone is All-World shortstop Luke Enman, one of the premier players in the country and one of the best shortstops I've ever seen at the D-3 level. Enman finished his school-boy career as inarguably the best position player in SJC history, and if it weren't for a kid named Charlie Furbush (RHP Detroit Tigers), he'd be their best ball player, period. Enman went out in style in 2008, finishing with a .368-7-41 line, while playing near-flawless defense. Make no mistake, he was the straw that stirred the Monks offensive-drink, and his loss is pretty much irreplaceable. They'll certainly try, though, led by Ben Grant-Roy (.367-7-41). Seems every year somebody emerges from the 50 or so players coach Will Sanborn keeps around, and 2008 should be no different in that regard. It's a different story on the mound for the Monks though, as back is former Maine Blackbear Pat Moran, who posted an up-and-down 4-5, 3.88, 43 K's in 48 IP line in 2008. Moran's a 6'4 righthander, and perhaps the closest thing to a power pitcher in D-3, with a fastball in the upper 80's and a devastating curveball. Expect his 2nd year in the GNAC to be an easier transition. Also returning is LHP Andrew Keirstead, who emerged as the Monks certified Suffolk-killer in 2008, beating the Rams twice in 2 weeks to leave them home come regional selection time. Keirstead was 6-3 in 08 while leading the staff in innings pitched, and he should once again help anchor the Monks plentiful pitching staff.

8. Williams - 24-12 The Ephs had an interesting campaign in 2008, going 24-12 but missing the regional tournament despite many prognosticators having them pegged as shoe-ins after their March trip. Still, the Ephs graduated just 5 seniors last season, and many key players have returned. On the mound they're led by Dan Benz, who has been one of the best pitchers in New England over the last 2 seasons. In 2008, he compiled a 6-2, 3.36 ERA with 56 K's in 59 IP. Perhaps most impressively, he limited hitters to just a .198 BA last year. He's a #1 of the Gilblair-Bayer-Bernardini/Gingras scale. Also returning is Ben Horowitz, who trailed only Benz in IP in 2008. The Eph's don't pack the punch that much of the rest of this list does, as they managed just 11 long balls in 2008. Still, their .327 team batting average is nothing to scoff at, although the departures of Max Pinto and James DiCosmo will hurt the Ephs, as OF and 2nd baseman combined to hit .388 and .382 with 5 of the club's 11 home runs. Back is Al Matthews (.384-1-30), but after that, much is left to be desired.

In the mix: Tufts, Amherst, Western New England, Roger Williams, Worcester State, Babson

New England Pitcher of the Year: Jeremiah Bayer, Trinity
New England Player of the Year: Shawn Gilblair

GNAC,

One of the best write-up so far this year!!!  NICE JOB!! and a +1 Karma for your efforts

TheGNAC

Quote from: ECSUalum on February 12, 2009, 07:22:00 PM

GNAC,

One of the best write-up so far this year!!!  NICE JOB!! and a +1 Karma for your efforts

Thanks a lot, it was fun. One thing's for sure; this season should be a fun one!