Coach R

Quote from: jimhoops1234 on July 27, 2014, 09:46:00 PM
The following players will all NOT be returning to SMU next year
Evan Pederson
Trent Vix
Johnny Spillane
Ben Meyer
Brandon Larson

The loss of Pederson and Vix is huge to the backcourt. Lots of minutes there. 5 guys leaving after year 1 for Coach R is not a great sign. Also heard there may be a freshman or 2 not return.

SMU will bring back Mark Schumacher after a year hiatus. Be interesting to see how long it takes him to get his legs back. Was a very good high school player and had some good games as a freshman.

Great thoughts.  That is going to break the silence.

It is almost like you were sitting in my office.  :D

Most of the information is correct - so your source is pretty good.

While a coach never likes to see players leave - it happens a lot (especially at our level).   It even happened when I wore the Purple and Grey - we had guys leave each year (but since we had 105 on roster - it was not really news). 

I actually did not play my senior year - when Clem gave me a call.  Big Ten vs. Senior year - was not a hard choice for me...

I am a little surprised that nobody has been talking about summer league or the other places the MIAC players have been playing.

It has been a great summer and it continues to amaze me how hard the players in our league work in the off season.

Nate Ohme does a great job running his stuff in Bloomington while Brad Stangel and Dana MacKenzie - provide a great opportunity for college teams in the Dells during the Jimmy V tourney.

I know it was fun for our guys to have a team playing together this year (THEY TOLD ME..  Added that so I don't get a call from the League office thinking or somebody else thinking we are running and watching workouts...)  :-X 

It was kinda hit and miss at times and I know they played with many of the freshman - but we still need more guys that want to work and get better every day (not just play games).    The leadership and organization in running all this that Will and Wylie have shown this summer has been great for our program.

And you are also correct that "Shoo" is back and will give us some much needed depth up front.  And the freshmen that were possibly leaving because of "non-basketball related issues" were able to work things out with the family and are excited to return.  So hopefully of everything goes right these next 4 weeks we will open the season with 18-20 on the roster..  Halleluiah!!  ;D

Also surprised your source did not mention the coaching changes. 

It was tough to loose Zach - but I knew the risk of bringing him back to Winona when I hired him.  WSU was his dream coaching job - and when Coach Brown left, I knew the call was coming.  :-[

But I think we did a great job replacing him.  I am excited about the hiring of Matt Johnson as my assistant - he is a tireless worker and he brings great head coaching experience with as well.   

While it is fun to see how the board reacts with a sinking ship - actually the Redbirds are doing really well and are really excited to see what we can do next year.  We again will be RIDICULOUSLY young (a trend I hope stops after this year) but the campus and our offices are a buzz with excitement.

Let's Go.   

Can't wait for the season to get here.  Hardest part of the year starts in 4 weeks.  Having the guys on campus - but not at October 15 yet. 

Should be a fun year. 

The league will be young - but will be very talented. 

There were some great recruiting classes across the board.

The Conference All Freshman team will be a tough selection this year.  As will the Drake Palmer All-Newbie team.

Go Cards!

"I don't look at myself as a basketball coach. I look at myself as a leader who happens to coach basketball." - Mike Krzyzewski

AO

Quote from: Coach R on July 28, 2014, 10:26:08 AM
So hopefully of everything goes right these next 4 weeks we will open the season with 18-20 on the roster..  Halleluiah!!  ;D
With that many players are you hoping to field a JV team this year? 

Is scheduling North Park a sign that your Chicago-land recruiting is improving?  We have heard from ChicagoTommie on the football board that the Chicago Catholic Leagues are now aware of St. Thomas and are pushing their kids there.

Gregory Sager

Interesting thoughts, Coach, as there has always been a steady trickle of Chicagoland ballplayers at St. Mary's. From 1996 (which is as far back as the rosters go on the Cardinals webpage) through 2012-13 there were never fewer than four Chicagolanders on the SMU roster, and there were sometimes as many as ten. Last season there was only one (Preston Black), which is a dramatic dropoff.

SMU's retention of its Chicagolanders wasn't always great, whether they were Chicago kids or kids from Chicago's suburbs, and I have no idea how well they succeeded as MIAC players. Nevertheless, by numbers alone that was a pretty significant pipeline. A large percentage of them came out of the Chicago Catholic League or the East Suburban Catholic Conference, which, given SMU's religious affiliation, makes sense.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Coach R

G -

Great observations. 

As I have been trying to look at trends in and around the program and I noticed that as well. 

I also noticed (me being a doctoral candidate my brain sometimes gets in the way) a lot of player turn over the past several years here at SMU, but am not really ready to say why (but I have some ideas being put into play to hopefully help stop the trend).

There are a few other trends (I noticed while at Platteville and it has continued) with basketball in southeastern Minnesota and western Wisconsin that I am watching to see how it plays out... 

For example - several of these kids from the really good programs in the area that could have a chance to play in our league or even in the WIAC, IIAC or UMAC - just stop playing after high school.  Again - not sure why.

As far as Illinois kids - those that graduated from SMU have been great to us.  It has been nice to know for once that when Will Wright walks into the gym I do not have to worry about having my guys defend him.  ;)

I am sure the trend of having Illinois student-athletes will continue - but again I really feel we need to have the support system in place (not that it wasn't) I just need to have it meet my expectations.   

Funny you mentioned Preston - his family moved to Arizona last year, so actually we had none..  Which may have been a first.

Guess the board is awake now.  Love talking hoops.  Excited about our program.

I will do the best I can to keep the MIAC faithful up to date.

I tried to do so during the season - but it seemed like every time I turned around there was something else to address..

But even with that said - I will admit what I do is a lot of fun.  8-)

Gonna have people criticize and second guess - it comes with the job.

But nothing we do down here in the bluffs is secretive or deceptive - but know I won't always divulge everything.  :-X

One last thought on what started the conversation - I just saw the NCAA DI list of transfers at 626 student-athletes - many on scholarships, so it should be no surprise it happens at our level.  (Here is a sneak peek of a public list..) http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

Know as we go forward we are gonna be mistakes and have unforeseen miscues (some happened this year) - but that even happens with fortune 500 companies with analysts...  But I think we are headed in the right direction.  We will know in few short years.  ;D

Plan the work and work the plan.  That's our goal.

Go Cards!
"I don't look at myself as a basketball coach. I look at myself as a leader who happens to coach basketball." - Mike Krzyzewski

Coach R

Quote from: AO on July 28, 2014, 11:24:13 AM
Quote from: Coach R on July 28, 2014, 10:26:08 AM
So hopefully of everything goes right these next 4 weeks we will open the season with 18-20 on the roster..  Halleluiah!!  ;D
With that many players are you hoping to field a JV team this year? 

Is scheduling North Park a sign that your Chicago-land recruiting is improving?  We have heard from ChicagoTommie on the football board that the Chicago Catholic Leagues are now aware of St. Thomas and are pushing their kids there.

AO -

Sorry for some reason I must have hit the wrong button since my earlier reply is gone..

Long story - short...

Yes we are looking to take on a few "futures" games. 

We will not be doing a full schedule but hope to get the 2nd half of the team some good runs. 

I am looking to possible do 3 games home and 3 away.

We have feelers out - but before I confirm to playing I want to make sure everyone is here for the first day of classes.

I would have to say that waiting until the first day of class is one of the biggest disadvantages of our level.

Knowing a kid could "change" his mind keeps many at our level recruiting the same kid for well over a year.

Long story - Longer... 

As far as the Chicago goes, yes we have some prominent booster in that are and it makes since to head that way.  One of the Department supports even brought the Stanley cup last year.. 8-)

Also I wanted to move away  from the "National" travel until our fundraising goals and talent pool have some time to replenish itself.

It is great to be in Cali or Hawaii or even the Bahamas - but that cost money.  With the tuition in our league - I am also aware of the out of pocket already - so I would rather have the guys work for it than pay for it.

And by the way - if we are paying 20 g's to go some where - we need to at least give ourselves a chance to win the whole thing.  ;D

Longer Story - Even Longer....

Especially for football - UST makes great sense for Chicago Kids.  As I stated before - no other football program between the Twin Cities and Chicago can compare (with the exception of Whitewater)...   Matter a fact - we beat Whitewater by 1 in the NCAA playoffs (24-23) my Sophomore year and then had the heart break loss vs. Central (Iowa) 33-32.

Was on the 20 with the ball at home and less than 1 minute to play...  Central player made a phenomenal interception in the end zone on a offensive broken play...  Still hurts....  :'(

I digress...

AO

Drake Palmer

Cough, gasp, sneeze. Guess it must be time to grab the Pledge and dust rag, dust off the old password, and clean off the seats in the neglected MIAC hoops room.  Halloo Mose, AO, Wonka, Coach R, Kilroy, jimhoops, etc. Anyone around? ;)

Did a little checking of the schools & for what it's worth, as usual, the brainiac schools of the league – Carleton & Macalester already have their rosters posted. And in keeping with their annual tradition, both schools have promising candidates for the Palmer MIAC FY All Name team.  Malekai Mischke – awesome name!  :o :)

Carleton Roster
Mac Roster

Oles have their roster posted as well.  They must be going "all in" with their upperclassmen this season.  Two freshmen?

Ole Roster

On the gridiron, I see that Bethel's Bridgeport Tusler is making a commotion.  If he decides to play hoops, he could be a very nice backcourt addition to Brycen Wojta. 

Could the axis of power be shifting in the MIAC landscape this season (tossing stones at the slumbering, complacent purple dragon)?  :-*
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

AO

Quote from: Drake Palmer on October 14, 2014, 02:58:25 PM
Cough, gasp, sneeze. Guess it must be time to grab the Pledge and dust rag, dust off the old password, and clean off the seats in the neglected MIAC hoops room.  Halloo Mose, AO, Wonka, Coach R, Kilroy, jimhoops, etc. Anyone around? ;)

Did a little checking of the schools & for what it's worth, as usual, the brainiac schools of the league – Carleton & Macalester already have their rosters posted. And in keeping with their annual tradition, both schools have promising candidates for the Palmer MIAC FY All Name team.  Malekai Mischke – awesome name!  :o :)

Could the axis of power be shifting in the MIAC landscape this season (tossing stones at the slumbering, complacent purple dragon)?  :-*
Do the Oles, Macs and Carls not have open tryouts?  I suppose if you're spending that much you want a guaranteed spot on the team. 

I'd say the stones from the Oles and Johnnies knocked the purple dinosaur down, but I don't see any other dinosaurs or dragons around to stop it from climbing back up.

PS:  Get excited for the Rumble in Roseville as Bethel canoes across lake Johanna to face the Eagles for the first time in 11 years.

jimhoops1234

From what I've heard, Tussler will be suiting up for Bethel. The Royals could be really tough this year.

Only 2 freshman for the Oles, but transfer Ben Figini should provide something positive on the inside, or on the glass going after all those 3's thrown up.

Mac...who knows. Should be more of the same.

I've heard also some good things early on at Hamline, from both freshman and underclassmen.

SMU...Kilroy should be able to provide more info. That's his school and he's the Northstar guru.

SJU will have 40 guys on the roster I'm sure. Always have talent to choose from. How will they all fit together???

UST...obviously has talent. They've come back to the pack a little. I'm just guessing here, but I wonder if sense of urgency and chip on the shoulder that Schnettler, Ike, Lonnie Robinson, Al McCoy had has worn down .

Concordia is always an interesting one. They'll have size. Can they make shots on the road?

GAC will be GAC. Tough every night regardless of who's out there. Move the ball. Switch a lot on D, which is tough to play against when you don't see it every day.

Heard nothing on most of the names and specifics of recruiting classes, anxious just like you Drake to see them slowly appear.

Coach R

Hey Guys -

Happy Halloween!

Hope you have the the candy ready for all the ghosts and goblins this week.

The little Winona ghouls will be on our campus tomorrow to walk the dorms and get all the sweet treats via Student Life with some help from our guys... 

Since Kilroy has taken the job on the Twin Cities campus and "that website" has him working all those combines - it is now like - "where is Kilroy"...  since I hardly see him any more. 

However - I did see him driving away from campus a few weeks ago on his way out from a "work-out"..  I figured it must have been a pretty intense one since it took the shirt right off his back.  8-)

Now that we are a few practices in, had a scrimmage, and had a few of those talks that every coach hates (with some really nice kids), it is now time to get down to business and unveil the 2014-15 Cardinals.

http://www.saintmaryssports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball&

I have really enjoyed putting this group together and really like our guys - they are fun to be around. 

As you will see - we are still very young and we still have a-lot of work to do here in Winona - but I am hoping that we can do some good things the next few years to do our part to help bring the overall conference rating up.

So as the season begins I will try to give you something (With-in reason)  ;D  each time I am able to post.

I am sure there will questions on our guys and who they are - but I will let "Mr. Combine" handle all that.

It is Hard to believe that in 7 weeks from now we will have already played Hamline, Augsburg, Bethel and St. Thomas.

Wow...

I guess it is time to Sit down, Buckle up and Hold On....  Cause Here we Go!!

SUMMIT!!!!!

due to facilities conflict (the court @Shoenecker is needed to host the NCAA Regional volleyball championship game Saturday night and a football game at home in the afternoon), UST's regular season opener will be played SUNDAY @ 1PM ...hosting UW-EC. The Toms trounced Mankato State (D2 preseason #7) in exhibition play last week. Those predicting the demise of the Purple Machine (glaring at Palmer in particular) should take note :)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

AO

Quote from: miacmaniac on November 12, 2014, 05:50:47 PM
due to facilities conflict (the court @Shoenecker is needed to host the NCAA Regional volleyball championship game Saturday night and a football game at home in the afternoon), UST's regular season opener will be played SUNDAY @ 1PM ...hosting UW-EC. The Toms trounced Mankato State (D2 preseason #7) in exhibition play last week. Those predicting the demise of the Purple Machine (glaring at Palmer in particular) should take note :)
Since you're free Saturday night, you could make the trip north for round 1 of the Snelling Ave. Shootout.   

Also saw the Oles beat SW Minnesota State.  Maybe there should be some sort of NSIC vs MIAC challenge. 

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: AO on November 13, 2014, 12:18:41 PM
Since you're free Saturday night, you could make the trip north for round 1 of the Snelling Ave. Shootout.   

Also saw the Oles beat SW Minnesota State.  Maybe there should be some sort of NSIC vs MIAC challenge.
When did UWRF relocate to Snelling Ave? :)  (they are at Bethel that night). I assume you're meaning the battle between Hamline & UNWR or whatever acronym is in vogue. I've been mulling both Snelling Ave battles around, along with possibly the VB regional title game.....I keep reading on here about owing someone chicken dinner but its hard to pay off the debt if they are chicken to show up  BAWWWWWWWWK

Italian proverb

AO

Quote from: miacmaniac on November 13, 2014, 08:32:32 PM
Quote from: AO on November 13, 2014, 12:18:41 PM

When did UWRF relocate to Snelling Ave? :)  (they are at Bethel that night). I assume you're meaning the battle between & UNWR or whatever acronym is in vogue. I've been mulling both Snelling Ave battles around, along with possibly the VB regional title game.....I keep reading on here about owing someone chicken dinner but its hard to pay off the debt if they are chicken to show up  BAWWWWWWWWK
I suppose Bethel can be part of the shootout this year since they're back on the schedule.

I'm sure the acronyms got confusing this afternoon at UST as UNW knocked off NWU.

SUMMIT!!!!!

nice come from behind win for UST today. UWEC was smoking hot in first half- 72% including eight 3s (80%)- but the UST defense stepped up big in 2nd half forcing a ton of TOs and cooling off the Bluegolds. Shaeffer played a great game for the Toms, as did Montero.

Saw something i've never seen in a basketball game....a halfcourt 10 second violation with NO pressure from the defense. UST had been pressing but the UWEC kid seemed to be sizing the lay of the court up without realizing he hadn't crossed the half line yet!

Italian proverb