FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on July 14, 2017, 10:48:05 AM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 14, 2017, 09:45:39 AM
Jk

I agree, the odac will be interesting this year and hard to predict. I think the bottom dwellers (SU & HSC) might pull an upset that will provide the ultimate winner the trophy, followed by a really bad post season experience for the odac champ.

Yeah. Probably. I couldn't even tell you who I think the bottom dwellers will be. I think Shenandoah does OK this year. They lost their beast of a runner, can't remember his name, maybe Delaney? But I believe they bring back a lot and Yoder is going on year 3, so his guys should be filtering into starting positions. Early season game at Hobart will be interesting for them. The OOC schedules this year actually include some really tough teams. That is rare for the ODAC. But with Shenandoah playing Hobart, W&L playing JHU, Bridgewater taking on TMC, HSC playing UWP, and Guilford hitting up Huntingdon, the OOC doesn't look as sad as usual. Unfortunately I'm not holding out a lot of hope for any of those results. I don't think we will be favored to win any of them. That does not bode well for the eventual champion.

I wish I was a fly on the wall when the Guilford/Huntingdon conversation took place.
It's debatable whether or not Guilford would have been an at large a couple years back if their Week 1 win was against a stronger opponent, but talk about a complete 180. Worst to first for the Week 1 opponents.  Can't wait to see how that game plays out. Definitely streaming that on the ol' cellular device at the MC/Berry game on 9/2.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

tigerFanAlso2

probably was a short conversation given the fact 4 ooc games are needed. the conversation at HSC to play UWP was short and swift as well.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 14, 2017, 01:20:31 PM
probably was a short conversation given the fact 4 ooc games are needed. the conversation at HSC to play UWP was short and swift as well.

HSC: You got an open date?
UWP: Yeah.
HSC: Good. Sold.
UWP: Wait, who's travelling where?
HSC: Hey, WIAC team, no one wants to play you. Get on a bus and beat our butts. We don't need to travel and get p!ssed on. Plus, you are in Wisconsin. You got nothing other than The Dells and we can't even hide that as educational. Take your kids to D.C. and show up on the right time and place. Don't let your kids go out partying the night before and it will all work out. Understand?
UWP: Uh, yeah. You got some cheese curds or do we need to bring our own?
HSC: Cheese curds... what the he!!? Just show up, ok? We want 10 games.

tigerFanAlso2

you're funny; one of our assistant coaches knows the folks at UWP, knew both schools needed games, worked it out.
not saying we will not regret, but at least we got 10 games !!!

HSCTiger74

Quote from: jknezek on July 14, 2017, 02:23:37 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 14, 2017, 01:20:31 PM

HSC: You got an open date?
UWP: Yeah.
HSC: Good. Sold.
UWP: Wait, who's travelling where?
HSC: Hey, WIAC team, no one wants to play you. Get on a bus and beat our butts. We don't need to travel and get p!ssed on. Plus, you are in Wisconsin. You got nothing other than The Dells and we can't even hide that as educational. Take your kids to D.C. and show up on the right time and place. Don't let your kids go out partying the night before and it will all work out. Understand?
UWP: Uh, yeah. You got some cheese curds or do we need to bring our own?
HSC: Cheese curds... what the he!!? Just show up, ok? We want 10 games.

They could always hit up Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin estate at Spring Green, and they could probably pass it off as educational. Of course I have no idea if it's anywhere near Platteville, like DC or Appomattox are to HSC.
TANSTAAFL

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on July 14, 2017, 03:20:17 PM
  They could always hit up Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin estate at Spring Green, and they could probably pass it off as educational. Of course I have no idea if it's anywhere near Platteville, like DC or Appomattox are to HSC.

I've been to Taliesin. I'm thinking not many college kids would really care. And D.C. isn't exactly around the corner from HSC, but I was just having fun. I mean, who doesn't enjoy a good cheese curd? And beer boiled brats. But yeah, it's an awkward game that definitely was a match made by necessity.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on July 14, 2017, 03:26:08 PM

I've been to Taliesin. I'm thinking not many college kids would really care. And D.C. isn't exactly around the corner from HSC, but I was just having fun. I mean, who doesn't enjoy a good cheese curd? And beer boiled brats. But yeah, it's an awkward game that definitely was a match made by necessity.

Poutine is one of my favorite non-American/non-ethnic foods. Fries, brown gravy, and cheese curds. Not to shabby.  A cheese curd by itself is like a warm beer. If you need one, it's there.

As far as the Guilford conversation, I think it started off as "Wow. Great idea. Good chance for a quality OOC win." to "Eh. At least our schedule is stronger." Don't fool yourself though. I'll be pulling for the Quakers. Hoping they can rebound this year.

HSC scheduling UWP wasn't a bad move IMO. Never would have thought HSC would take a downturn like last year and what this year apparently looks like. If they had a crystal ball I think they try to get Ferrum again instead of UWP, though.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on July 14, 2017, 03:49:07 PM

Poutine is one of my favorite non-American/non-ethnic foods. Fries, brown gravy, and cheese curds. Not to shabby.  A cheese curd by itself is like a warm beer. If you need one, it's there.

The only poutine I ever had was at the Canada Pavilion in EPCOT. It was awful. I've been assured that it was not representative of real poutine, but I just don't see it offered too many other places.

tigerFanAlso2

a really hot and humid September day might be our best defense, I mean really hot; 95 plus degrees. Farmville can be awful that time of year or maybe a down pour like the one vs. Guilford last year; always a chance for a tropical storm to pass through in September 

HSCTiger74

Yeah, I kinda feel the same about visiting Taliesin, but it was all I could think of off the top of my head. And I'm definitely with you on the cheese curds and brats.
TANSTAAFL

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 14, 2017, 03:13:23 PM
you're funny; one of our assistant coaches knows the folks at UWP, knew both schools needed games, worked it out.
not saying we will not regret, but at least we got 10 games !!!
That was a funny "reenactment" ... enjoyed reading it.  Regarding GC at Huntingdon:  We needed 4 OOC games ... notice we do not have a home game until October ... and former Quaker basketball greats Caleb Kimbrough and Ben Strong coach the Hawks.  Made a lot of sense to me.  When you talk to Coach Rusiewicz and his assistants, they know the weak OOC hurt the Quakers in 2015. 

hasanova

As far as the Guilford conversation, I think it started off as "Wow. Great idea. Good chance for a quality OOC win." to "Eh. At least our schedule is stronger." Don't fool yourself though. I'll be pulling for the Quakers. Hoping they can rebound this year.

HSC scheduling UWP wasn't a bad move IMO. Never would have thought HSC would take a downturn like last year and what this year apparently looks like. If they had a crystal ball I think they try to get Ferrum again instead of UWP, though.
Starting in 2018, they will have the Panthers every year.

HSCTiger fan

TFA you are really piling it on HSC. They were 3-4 in ODAC play last year. They were a TD away from beating EH and only 8 points from BC.  They lost captain QB, rookie of year RB and all ODAC captain DE before the first half of the first game. Not to mention the attrition to injury that occurs throughout the year. This season their QB will be better. They return all RBs - they will be better. They return all but one WR - they will be better. The all conference captain is coming back for fifth year. He will be better. As will the the 10 starters returning on defense. Are they ODAC champs?  I don't know. But bottom dwellers? I just don't agree. The last time HSC had a losing record was 4-6 in '06. They followed that up with a 9-1 ODAC championship in '07.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

HSCTiger fan

Where are you getting your information about the upcoming season? 

And what crystal ball was needed to know Plateville would be a dominant team?  As I understand it this game was scheduled AFTER last season.  Why would the 3rd best team from any league scare any team planning (as most teams should be in September) to win their conference? 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on July 16, 2017, 08:20:54 PM

And what crystal ball was needed to know Plateville would be a dominant team?  As I understand it this game was scheduled AFTER last season.  Why would the 3rd best team from any league scare any team planning (as most teams should be in September) to win their conference?

Because teams 1 and 2 in that conference made deep playoff runs, one was the national runner-up, and UWP lost to them both by less than 10 points? UW-P also made the tournament and lost by 1 in the first round. H-SC on the other hand lost by 3+ touchdowns to the ODAC champion, who lost in the first round by 3 touchdowns. I don't think we can just flat out ignore the difference in quality between the WIAC, where teams 1 and 2 made the quarters and finals respectively of the DIII tournament, and the ODAC, where team 1 lost, badly again, in the first round.

Scared? I don't know. I doubt teams are really scared when taking the field. But putting our head in the sand about the relative difference between the WIAC and ODAC is a little silly.