FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Li'l Giant

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 13, 2016, 12:15:52 AM

11/12  RHIT/Wabash  Can we have a 'snow bowl'?

I'd love to see us get a 2 year series with RHIT set up when we're done with the Albion games. I admit I miss the old ICAC days.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Li'l Giant on December 18, 2016, 09:43:35 PM

I'd love to see us get a 2 year series with RHIT set up when we're done with the Albion games. I admit I miss the old ICAC days.

Wabash, RHIT, Franklin, DPU...that'd be a fun little horse race currently. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

DPU3619

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 18, 2016, 09:48:26 PM
Quote from: Li'l Giant on December 18, 2016, 09:43:35 PM

Wabash, RHIT, Franklin, DPU...that'd be a fun little horse race currently.

Fun little horse race and 4 totally different styles of football, which would be awesome to see.

sigma one

About five years ago there was some very preliminary discussion about forming a new league with Wabash, DePauw, Franklin, and Rose-Hulman at the core.  Other schools that might have filled out the number needed included Hanover, and the other institutions in Indiana :  Anderson and Manchester.  Not Trine, at least to my knowledge.  A few non-Indiana schools were part of the thinking, including several in western Ohio and in Illinois,  Also, Centre.
     Eventually, those preliminary discussions ended, in part because there was concern that a league of only seven members (that is, enough for an automatic bid to the playoffs) was problematic--scheduling non-conference games is increasingly difficult.  And there was no good assurance that more than seven would agree to be part of a new conference.  There were other reasons as well pertaining to institutional mission and the reluctance of Centre to join the mix.
     Wabash and DePauw in the NCAC is a good fit with other liberal-arts colleges.  But travel has always been at least a minor issue with the increasing expense and travel times.  I would not be surprised if new discussions occur, but that's pure speculation.  There are good geographic reasons for such discussions, but also good reasons why many of the schools would not want to leave their current arrangements.   

FCGrizzliesGrad

Is there going to be a final poll?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

wally_wabash

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on December 25, 2016, 08:45:11 PM
Is there going to be a final poll?

Yes, this is happening. Hopefully tomorrow.  :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

I've got one outstanding ballot, gang. I promise this is coming.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 27, 2016, 08:58:54 PM

Tell the voter to hurry up before we forget the entire NR season!  Geez, the poll could have been up three weeks ago! ::)

FCGrizzliesGrad

Sometimes no amount of prodding will get that last ballot in. Pretty much every year someone disappears on the Top 25 board, eventually you just have to post without them (and the missing ballot there was not a north region voter so I don't know who's missing here).
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

DPU3619

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 27, 2016, 08:58:54 PM

If it's that good, then hurry up and post it.

Dr. Acula

I was the hold up.  My bad.  I submitted it just now.

wally_wabash

We made it...here it is the 2016 Final NRFP:

The NRFP is voted on by: Captain_Joe08, Dr. Acula, FCGrizzliesGrad, Li'l Giant, Mr Ypsi, NCF,  smedindy, USee, and wally wabash.

Special thanks to all the voters again this year for doing a great job with this.  This is fun because we have a thoughtful group here so thanks for the effort and the discussion fodder again this fall. 

Mr. Ypsi

Looks about the way I expected.  (Mine is the center ballot.)  To me, there was a clear top 5 (and a clear order of those five, as six voters agreed), then all sorts of possibilities for the remainder.

Dr. Acula

I'm very interested in Olivet receiving a #5 vote.  Two spots ahead of Witt?  Full disclosure I didn't even rank Olivet so clearly my perspective is different.

wally_wabash

Agree with Mr. Y regarding the first five and then the hodgepodge behind that.  Of the seven other teams on the poll and ORV, you could pick any five in pretty much any order and it makes some kind of sense. 

I did an eyebrow raise when I saw a couple of ballots with North Central ahead of Wheaton.  There is a season split here, so I guess there are some reasonable pathways to that ordering.  I did a double eyebrow raise at Mount Union ahead of John Carroll.  I'm just not sure I see what's there on the Mount Union profile that trumps the h2h result, and it's not as if John Carroll didn't validate that result through the postseason.