MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcons 25

AMC vs Coast Guard exhibition:

AMC "bests" a big, physical C.G. squad @ home. (won 3 out 4 quarters)

Key AMC players today:  Andrew Rice- interesting player in the GNAC- lightning quick & excellent ball handler
; scoring is going to have to come on penetration.  Good on defense & and a decent rebounder.

Mike Richardson- a "brickhouse' ,who is agile enough to play well in the GNAC. Opened some eyes today, scoring &
rebounding!

Jahrell Spence- nice outside touch on his J. Ditto- Devon Warner- at least three from behind the arc today.

Damian Grant- played well today all around, looks to be battling Knee problems. If he can stay on the court, this
junior could be a difference maker!

This squad will be deeper than AMC has had in sometime. They have team quickness, on both sides of the ball, that they have
not had in years! All personnel can contribute, which was not the case last year. (J. Walters was a "beast" & his play covered
a lot of faults.)

Anna Maria is this Thursday away. Get ready starters: Liam, Jahmerikah, Ryan, "Reek" & Damian- play well- this team has a lot
of talent right behind you!

Saint-Paul

Saints publish their new roster a week early, first time in 13 years.  At least the new coach is starting out on the right foot.  Hope he gets these guys to play defense and cut down on turnovers. Would like to see a constant starting lineup, at least for the first ten games.  Let five guys get use to playing together and develop some chemistry. Good Luck

D3HoopJunkie

T-Minus 24 hours till the season tip off for the Falcons as we head to Paxton Mass to take on the Anna Maria Amcats.

At first glance it would appear that Coach Oliver has assembled an extremely strong schedule this year with out of conference games against NESCAC teams Bowdoin, Middlebury (Top 25) and Williams (Top25)  as well as Top 25 team in NJCU and vote getters Keene State. Not to mention WPI and NYU who both have always been well respected teams within their region. I believe this is hands down the strongest schedule Oliver has ever assembled and it will really help this interesting Falcons team as the year progresses.

I say interesting because i'm really intrigued as to how this team and their success will playout over the season. I think we have a great group of returning players with enough experience to mix in with the newcomers and freshman. I've heard a lot of great things about this freshman class, loaded with athletes and scorers who come from great high school programs. I have also been told that a number of our JUCO transfers are polished players who will be able to step right in and make an immediate impact. 

And with that, here is my starting five prediction;

Starting 5: Ryan Pittman, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Tyreek Perkins, Keyaire Martin and Liam Perryman. The three guards are a given as Pittman, Kai and Reek have solidified themselves as one heck of a trio and I think they form the best backcourt in the league. Yes, I believe Keyaire Martin, a JUCO forward transfer is going to be our starting 4. I've heard out of camp that he is a stud defender who has great timing and a unique ability to block shots as well as an offensive game to boot that can be dominant on the low block. I think most will assume that Damian Grant would be a starter but I think he is better suited to come off the bench and his defensive skills really need to improve still before he grabs a starting roll. Finally, Big Liam Perryman at 5. While I think he starts for us, I dont think he will be getting a ton of minutes but will be a key contributor for us every time he is on the floor.

As far as the rest of the roster, I plan to do a breakdown after I see them in action tomorrow night. Not sure I can predict the rest of the team without seeing them play. Anna Maria doesn't always have the best video broadcast but it's good enough. I'll definitely be watching!

As for the rest of the league and what we're up against, I think the GNAC preseason coaches poll was spot on this year. JWU earned the top spot deservedly so and they return 4 of their 5 starters from last years NCAA tourney team. They should be quite good again. St Joes CT at #3 is intriguing especially with the Calhoun affect. They loaded up with an extremely strong first class and obviously will be well coached. That being said it is very hard for a young team to step in and find success right away. I think by seasons end they will be a dangerous team but so will JWU and Albertus and Coach Benton and Coach Oliver won't be intimidated in the least by Calhoun. My sleeper team this year has to be Regis. I think they are underrated and have some really good, athletic players who present interesting matchups. 
Looking forward to tomorrow evening and the season! Good luck to the Falcons and all GNAC teams this year. Hopefully all teams and players stay healthy and the GNAC makes strides in becoming a strong basketball conference within the Northeast.

GO FALCONS!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The 2018-19 season is officially underway and so is Hoopsville. While normally Dave McHugh would be coming to you live from the WBCA/NABC Studio, with the tip-off of the season also comes with it basketball games for Dave.

Thursday's show is a pre-taped preview of the upcoming season. Can either of the preseason number one teams stay on top the entire season? How many teams have a legitamate chance of playing for a national title? Who could possibly be sleepers or surprise? What games should fans be watching early on to get a sense of the season ahead?

The answers to those questions are completely different if you are talking men's or women's basketball. So, on Thursday's show Dave brings in colleagues to give the answers. Gordon Mann and Ryan Scott lend their opinions and insight on the season ahead.

Also, one of the more surprising coaching developments in the last year was the fact Hall of Fame, and former UConn, coach Jim Calhoun was throwing his hat in the DIII ring. We chat with him about why he decided to lead the St. Joseph's (Conn.) program and what to expect out of it's first season.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's edition will be available at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2qBF3Pz

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of our social media options listed below.

Guest Schedule:
- Gordon Mann, Deputy Editor, D3hoops.com
- Jim Calhoun, St. Joseph's (Conn.) men's head coach
- Ryan Scott, Columnist, D3hoops.com

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D3HoopJunkie

Falcons pick up the W last night against Anna Maria in their first game of the season. Watched the game online and I have to say that even though the score was relatively close the game never felt like it was in jeopardy despite some sloppy play in the 2nd half.

Couple things to take away from this game......this Falcons team can flat out play defense. They are very aggressive and Oliver has a lot of good quality players that he can put out on the court.

I thought the Falcons struggled a bit on the offensive end and I expected that to happen since it was game 1 with a number of new faces. But overall the team played well. My biggest concern or takeaway was that we need to do better guarding the perimeter because we gave up way to many open looks from deep. Out on ball defense was stellar but there were a few times where either the help or over extending really hurt us.

WPI should be a good test Tuesday night in Worcester. They are always well coached and are normally good at staying within there system and not letting teams speed them up. Should be a good one!

Also, put me on record right now!!! Andrew Rice is going to be a star if he works hard and listens to Coach Oliver. His motor is crazy and he did a lot of little things on defense that sometimes go unnoticed. Oliver will turn this kid into a stud

Falcons 25

Falcons vs WPI- "BLOWOUT LOSS"

Well, The Falcons showed they are a very "Green" team! The game was way too quick for everyone!
If I am Mitch, I work tirelessly to get this team to WORK HARD ON DEFENSE & REBOUNDING.
They need to "GROW UP" fast or the likes of Bowdoin, Middlebury, Williams & Keene State will make them
look like a High School team EVERY TIME!
While on Offense, they need to trust each other, run the plays & take GOOD SHOTS! Spence & Warner are
excellent shooters, but lets NOT BE GUNNERS! THINK TEAM FIRST!
BIG MEN "TRY" to get some DEFENSIVE REBOUNDS, PLEASE!
Next up Friday @ 7pm (Bowdoin) @ Western CT State!

Saint-Paul

Saints rally from 12 down to upset Dean College 72 - 71.  Getting that first win of the year before Thanksgiving break is something that hasn't happened in a long time.  Saints were moving the ball on offense and not full court pressing on defense which helped keep the game close.

Falcons 25

AMC vs Bowdoin College- GREAT TEAM EFFORT & WIN by THE FALCONS!

Ryan Pittman- played a gutsy all-around game. Hit the game winner as time expired!

Devon Warner- great outside shooting- 5   3-pt. hoops!

Terry Dawkins- GAME CHANGER AWARD- 12 pts/ & 9 Boards, but he stopped the Bowdoin Bigs from backing down for easy hoops from in close.

Great Team Effort, defense & rebounding (43 boards!!!!) Way to Go!

Championship tomorrow vs Western CT State @ 4pm

Falcons 25

AMC wins Colonial Classic with a 84-79 win vs W.CT State

AMC won with a great TEAM EFFORT- Defense & Rebounding!

Yeoman`s work off the boards by Deshawn Brewer (10 rebs.)

"Reek" was top scorer w/28 pts.- great job of going hard to the basket & hitting 3`s!

Keith Antonio Davis with a fine  all- around effort, especially down the stretch with fine free throw shooting.

HOME OPENER: THIS TUESDAY @ 7pm vs Keene State!

Saint-Paul

Saints blow out Curry College 91 - 51.  First time in a while the Saints are not on the losing end of a blow out. Get second win before Thanksgiving break.  If this keeps up maybe the Saints will be allow to play the 7 pm game of a double header instead of the 5 pm game.

D3HoopJunkie

Been following along but haven't had a chance to post since game 1 at Anna Maria.

Tough loss last night in the home opener against Keene State. What a battle it was between two teams who play a very similar style on both offense and defense. Falcons led for the majority of the 1st half and went into halftime with the lead. They came out a little flat in the 2nd and Keene went on a run to take the lead and even push the game to double digits. Falcons battled back strong to tie the game up and force OT but from that point on it was all Keene State.
Ty Nichols put on a superb performance and was without question the best player we have faced on the young season. Sure, we saw him last season but he had more help with his running mate Wright. This kid broke us down off dribble penetration and his ability to finish what seemed to be EVERYTHING around the hoop.

Great performance by a great player.

Falcons played extremely well at both end of the court over the weekend at Western but just didn't have the same mentality defensively that they needed to have against this very strong Keene State team.

The season is still very young and at 3-2 this team is still very strong. I think they will become more consistent and stronger together as the season progresses. Playing a tough schedule is only going to help this team moving forward and come seasons end I think we will be primed and prepared for a run at the GNAC Tourney Championship. 

D3HoopJunkie

Falcons take care of business against Mitchell College in convincing fashion.

CCNY tomorrow evening at The Nest!!!

Falcons 25

AMC "vs" CCNY- Most lop-sided game I think I have ever watched! (Falcons won by 33- but it was a scrimmage!)

Hard to draw any conclusions in a game like this but:

1. Jahrell Spence is a natural scorer. If he had played 38 minutes, he would have gone for 40 easily!

He drives to the rim with great skill & has a beautiful jump shot. He is a star in the making!

2. The "Hayesmen", Terry Dawkins & Mike Richardson from Cardinal Hayes-Bronx, can flat play the game!

3. Rayshawn Brewer is emerging as our # 5, slowly, but surely!

AMC`s future is bright as long as the players are patient & grow into what they can be. We shall see!

D3HoopJunkie

Huge game tonight for the Falcons as they travel to NJCU to take on the Gothic Knights in what has become a very nice rivalry over the last few seasons. Based on what I have seen in the home contests in New Haven, both Coach Oliver and Coach Brown have a tremendous amount of respect for each other and their programs.

This is always a fun contest as both teams are normally stacked athletically at all 5 positions. This needs to be a statement ROAD win for the Falcons. I think this is one of those games that will go a long way for this young teams confidence as the season progresses. As our roster indicates, Oliver has strong recruitment ties to the NJ/NY area so this game is also a nice chance for some of those players to play in front of family and friends who cant always make it up to New Haven.

This game will no doubt be a close one! Lets go Falcons! Make some noise tonight!

D3HoopJunkie

I cant remember the last time I was as disappointed in a regular season loss as I was after last night beating that the Falcons took down at NJCU. We have to keep in mind that this is a young team and they are still trying to find their way a bit BUT we have enough experienced players mixed in that this game simply should not gone down the way it did. Losses are going to happen, they are inevitable but the overall effort mainly on defense and the lackluster offense from the passes to just overall poor execution frankly was hard to watch. Road games have plagued us over the last few seasons and they continue to be a problem this year.

I still believe in this team and I know Coach Oliver will right the ship. We will be toward the top of the GNAC come regular season end and GNAC tourney time but right now we are in a bit of a funk. Our lone senior Ryan Pittman and junior Jahmerikah Green Younger need to perform better. Its that simply. They are the leaders of this team and they need to start to act and play like it.

NJCU was a very solid team and they can really get after you defensively but they are NO WAYYYYY that much better than us that we have to be down 40 points at the half. NYU comes to town on Thursday, lets hope we can bounce back with a better effort.