MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcons 25

Albertus Magnus recruiting news: Commitments

1. Qualon Wilkes- solid point guard- Bassick (Bridgeport): 3-yr. captain, 5`,11" 1st Team All State

14.5 pts/ 5 assts./ 3 steals per game

2.Andrew Rice- 6`, 4" Guard/forward- Hamden Hall- 15 pts/ 8 reb. per game

3.Rashawn Brewer- 6`, 6" forward- Hillhouse(New Haven)

4.Jahrell Spence- 6`, 2" guard-one year @ Watkinson school (Hartford)- (after Hartford Public)- 28 pts/ 5 assts. per game!

5. Ed Popolizio- 6`, 3" wing- East Haven High School- big-time scorer- "college project".

GO FALCONS!

Falcons 25

Albertus Magnus College 2018 commitment information:

Rashawn Brewer: averaged a double/double (pts./reb.) last year for Hillhouse - New Haven

personal note: he is a freshman who can contribute on the boards immediately

scoring not so much (as a Freshman)

Good team player- plays "D" well.

Falcons 25

The GNAC men`s schedule is out! (See G.N.A.C web site)
Looks like Albertus plays: N.Y.U., Keene State, Middlebury at home. (Also Babson @ Western CT.!)
Check it out!

Falcons 25

Correction: AMC plays BOWDOIN @ Western Connecticut!

Falcons 25

AMC is playing in a tournament @ Western Ct State in Danbury on Nov.16-17.
Nov. 16 they play Bowdoin. Worcester State plays Western CT. on Nov. 16.
Championship on Saturday.

D3HoopJunkie

Lots of catching up to do. Been away from the boards for a while now but looking forward to the upcoming season for the Falcons and GNAC play.

Falcons25, great job keeping the board informed on some Albertus recruiting and scheduling news.

First off, a huge congratulations is in order to both JQ Walters and Amir Maddred for signing professional contracts to play overseas. A great opportunity for the both of them and I look forward to seeing their success play out over the season.

Some interesting changes are in line for the upcoming season in GNAC play. With the addition of the new teams that have joined the conference it appears that each team will only be playing each other once a year now in conference play instead of years past where we would play each team twice. Not to mention the addition of Jim Calhoun as a new coach within the GNAC conference. A 12 team league should be quite interesting and we'll have to see how this affects teams SOS numbers and post season at large opportunities.

As Falcons25 already mentioned, it looks like a strong recruiting class once again for Coach Oliver, specifically with a large number of "true" freshman signed on and committed to help the Albertus program for the next 4 seasons. I haven't seen any JUCO players mentioned yet but I have heard and can confirm that Oliver secured a 6'7 JUCO transfer forward who is supposed to be an outstanding talent that will help fill the void that JQ has left us with following his stellar career. I am working on getting a name for this player along with a few other JUCOs who I was told committed.

Should be one heck of an interesting year for the Falcons. It cant be understated how valuable and important JQ Walters was to this team over the last 2 season. You simply cant replace a talent like Walters but what you can do is focus on whats returning and work on getting back to the NCAA tourney and that is what Oliver has shown he can do better than any other Coach in the GNAC conference. The level of success he has sustained over his years with Albertus is remarkable.

We still have a ton of experienced players returning including some great guards in Ryan Pittman and Jahmerikah Green Younger who I feel has a a great shot at being our going to player for the season and IMO will compete for GNAC player of the year, I believe he is that talented.

Planning on doing an in depth season preview once we get closer to go time. I can't wait for the season to start!!!

Falcons 25

"Albertus Madness" will be held this year on Oct. 18 @ 7:30pm! (No more guessing the roster the day before the first game on Nov.8!)

Saint-Paul

Yes, I also noticed the new GNAC schedule.  Saints only have to play Albertus and JWU once this year.  That will certainly help reduce the loss column.  Saints new coach also dropped games with MIT and Wesleyan which is also a big help.  Those were 30 point losses for sure.  Followed MIT in the NCAA tournament last year, and they proved to be a very tough team at home and on the road. Glad we are not scheduling them this year, although will miss watching them play against the Saints.  Their games against the Saints were usually a clinic on how the game is suppose to be played.  Hope the Saints can add four wins to the season total with the four new open game slots.

Falcons 25

BREAKING NEWS FOR ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE: THE REST OF THE ROSTER!

1. Keith Antonio Davis- 6-2, 190 lb guard-transfer from Manor College(one year)
   High school- Voorhees High School- New Jersey

2.Keyaire Martin- 6-6, 220 lb Center- played 2 years @ Passaic County C.C.

3.Rob Tindley- 5-8, 150 lb guard from Haddon Heights, N.J.- transfer from Penn State-Brandywine!
   (14 pts & 2 assists per game last year- 2017-18)

New freshmen: Terry Dawkins- 6-3, 200 lb Guard- Cardinal Hayes- Bronx & Mike Richardson- 6-3, 245 lb Center(?)- Cardinal Hayes- Bronx!

First 3 games: at Anna Maria on Nov.8; followed by at W.P.I. & Bowdoin @ Western CT. State!

Can not wait for the season to start!!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

They haven't even started practices ... bet you see more changes before Nov. 8 ;)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Falcons 25

Albertus Magnus College: a few early observations

1. Shout out to these players for starting practice in TOP CONDITION:

Ryan Pittman, Damian Grant(put on muscle), Jahmerikah Green-Younger & Tyreek Perkins

2.Newcomers: Rob Tindley, transfer from Penn State-Brandywine; NATURAL POINT GUARD!
                      Remember the name: TERRY DAWKINS - CARDINAL HAYES-BRONX - BEAST on the boards?
                      Qualon Wilkes- FUTURE STARTING POINT GUARD
                      Jahrell Spence & Keith Antonio Davis- Could be special players(This year or next?)
                      Andrew Rice? We`ll see!

3. Liam Perryman- If this team is all in, on up-tempo(in my lingo- Fastbreak)then Liam will have a solid year.
                           If we try to play a half court game, he will be lost!

AMC will go as far as the rebounders take them. (without the ball you can`t run) Keep an eye on these men:

Liam Perryman, Damian Grant, Terry Dawkins, Keyaire Martin, Mike Richardson(Cardinal Hayes product)Rashawn Brewer(Hillhouse)

& Andrew Rice (Hamden Hall)

GNAC Championship team? We shall see!

Falcons 25

Comments from: AMC vs Rhode Island College (exhibition)- "WIN"- over 3 quarters by about 12 pts.

NEW PLAYERS:

The two freshmen from Hillhouse HAVE GAME!

1. Rashawn Brewer played an excellent, complete game- scoring, rebounding & toughness under the basket!

2. Davon Warner reminded me of a young Dwayne Wade! (wait till you see him play)

Rob Tindley(Penn State-Brandywine transfer) is a natural point guard. Nice outside shot, penetration ability & excellent ball handler.

Jahrell Spence- excellent outside shooter, with the ability to penetrate too! (scored well today)
Keyaire Martin, 2-yr. community college transfer, has ability. (very nice drop step move that was real smooth, like he does it all the time!)
Has an "edge" to his game.(great to see!)

Qualon Wilkes- Leader; plays like he belongs!

Veterans played well, especially J. Green-Younger!

GO FALCONS!

7express

"Q" Wilkes is a great get for coach Oliver!  Thought he may end up going the prep route, D2, or low end d1 (NEC, Am East type schools).

middhoops

Jim Calhoun at the University of St. Joseph is making quite a splash.  Next year the GNAC is going to be the center of lots of attention.

https://www.ctpost.com/sports/jeffjacobs/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Jim-Calhoun-s-Saint-Joseph-team-12920787.php

nescac1

Speaking of St. Joseph, I'd be curious to hear how Mike Sagay (former Boston College scholarhip big man, very highly ranked recruit coming out of high school) ended up there!   I would be surprised if St. Joseph wasn't (at worst) a serious contender in GNAC from the get-go.  Man, what a coaching staff they have assembled!