FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLynn

You use Massey or your educated picks? 

Briar Cliff would not score 35, even on Luther. 

slightly surprised only one D3 win

Baldini

Quote from: BLynn on December 24, 2020, 05:27:29 PM
You use Massey or your educated picks? 

Briar Cliff would not score 35, even on Luther. 

slightly surprised only one D3 win

Used Massey 2019. 

Luther gave up 38-33-62-52-45-56-69-60-34-16 in each of their games, but Briar Cliff wouldn't score 35 on them? In 2019 Briar Cliff scored 47 on Dakota Wesleyan and 32 on Hastings, I wouldn't think 35 on Luther is that much of a reach.

The 2020 version of Briar Cliff might be a different story, but we have no data for the ARC for 2020.

doolittledog

That's a series I would love to see. With the number of D3 schools in the area, and with D3 schools basically having their playoff chances hurt by scheduling NAIA schools I doubt you will see many games between these institutions.

My thinking is that Morningside is a clear step up up from the other NAIA schools in the state.  I've also been told the D3 schools are more evenly matched top to bottom, while there is a bigger talent gap with the NAIA schools from the have's and have not's.
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

doolittledog

I'm somewhat confident the bottom half of the ARC would do well against their NAIA counterparts. The NWU football team has had less success in conference play than in their time in the GPAC. Their coaches and radio guys have said what surprised them was how strong the bottom half of the ARC was.
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

colts183

What's everyone's current program by prestige? The criteria is facilities, coaching, success both individually and as a team, historical and recent success averaged out, academics, school spirit and GameDay experience.
I realize that it's a long list but I think it will be interesting to hear everyone's impression.

doolittledog

Quote from: colts183 on January 07, 2021, 06:03:17 PM
What's everyone's current program by prestige? The criteria is facilities, coaching, success both individually and as a team, historical and recent success averaged out, academics, school spirit and GameDay experience.
I realize that it's a long list but I think it will be interesting to hear everyone's impression.

I'm afraid Covid and the lack of a season last fall has driven most on here in to hibernation.  I love the questions you are asking.  Keep it up.

Are you asking for a ranking top to bottom?

I think every school in the conference has done significant upgrades to their facilities in the time I came back to following the conference in 2006.  Gone are the days of rickety old stands and press boxes overlooking a mud pit.  I'm impressed by facilities across the conference. 
Dubuque, has nice seating on both sides, concessions and facilities on both sides, new turf this year, nice scoreboard, indoor facility.
Wartburg, has large amount of seating on the home side, large scoreboard, easy parking
Luther, blue field!!!, nice view from the home side stands
Loras, the Rock Bowl name is awesome, visitor seating 50 feet up a cliff  ;D
BV, Central, Coe, NWU, Simpson...not much difference between them?

Coaching can be hard to judge.  Some coaches get bigger budgets that others.  I'm not sure I've seen a staff look out matched since maybe Matt Dillon was trying to run the wing-t at Cornell over a decade ago.  Then again, he did ditch the wing-t and wasn't given much of a budget over there. 

Success individually and as a team?
Dubuque currently has a player on an NFL roster  ;)  As a team, Central historically, Wartburg over the past 20 years, Dubuque and Coe with a bit of recent success.  Luther over the 1st 50 years of the conference.

Academics.
Here is where Luther will tell you about their Phi Beta Kappa status.  Coe will mention being a part of the Associated Colleges of the Midwest as well as Luther.

School spirit and GameDay experience.
Going back to the late 80's - early 90's. I saw crazy atmospheres at conference basketball gyms, while football support was a little laid back.  That has reversed across the conference in the 25+ years since I was in school.  25+ years ago Central was the only school I saw bring sizable support with them on the road.  And I'm not sure if any school had visiting seating back then.  For basketball you had packed gyms and intimidating atmospheres.  These days I think NWU is the only school without visitor side seating and most schools have decent traveling support.  The basketball I watch on my Roku shows me mostly empty gyms which also means mostly quiet gyms.  I will say the Dubuque/Loras basketball games I have watched recently seem reminiscent of the old days.  Packed gyms and rowdy fans.   

doolittledog

70 days...10 weeks until we have conference football.  Maybe. 

Any word on when schools can start practice and all that stuff?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: doolittledog on January 16, 2021, 08:36:02 AM
70 days...10 weeks until we have conference football.  Maybe. 

Any word on when schools can start practice and all that stuff?

The D-III rules say you can basically use your 114 days of practice/playing whenever you like.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

doolittledog

8 weeks...56 days until football.

55 if you want to get technical.

03/27/21
Simpson @ BVU  6pm

03/28/21
Dubuque @ Coe  1pm
Luther @ Wartburg  1pm

doolittledog

An FYI for the public vs private conversations we have from time to time. 

Our middle daughter applied to 3 ARC member schools and to UNI.  The 3 ARC schools all came in with a financial aid package that is less money out of pocket than the public UNI offer.

As far as football related, all these schools will be playing spring football in the near future   :)

OrangeAndBlack

Do we know what the fan participation rules will be for the ARC Spring 2021 football schedule? Masks? Social distancing? Attendance limits? TIA.

doolittledog

Quote from: OrangeAndBlack on March 04, 2021, 05:23:25 PM
Do we know what the fan participation rules will be for the ARC Spring 2021 football schedule? Masks? Social distancing? Attendance limits? TIA.
I haven't found a conference policy yet, but found this for UD
https://udspartans.com/news/2021/3/10/baseball-ud-announces-outdoor-sports-spectator-policy.aspx

From the article...
Chalmers Field (Football)
All spectators are asked to social distance from people outside their immediate home. Face coverings are required at all times while inside the venue. There are no spectator limits at this time.

doolittledog

The Luther/Wartburg game this weekend has been postponed, as well as the Dubuque/Wartburg game on 04/03. 

https://twitter.com/WartburgKnights/status/1375131365637775369

Simpson HC describes their trip to BVU as a "game/scrimmage"

https://twitter.com/jeter_m/status/1375221335312510976

doolittledog

I had an enjoyable afternoon of watching the return of ARC football today.  Dubuque lost the turnover battle 5-1, but was able to squeak out a 17-13 victory at Coe.  Both teams looked like it had been 16+ months since they had played a competitive game, but the large crowd looked and sounded like they had a good time. 

Cooper7974

Yes the BV Simpson game was called a scrimmage although it was probably 2.5 hours the kids got to scrimmage and do some small group stuff at the beginning.  BV said it was too dangerous to have football games this spring so the other teams they play will also be scrimmages as well. I believe combo of worried about Covid and numbers on rosters.  https://bvuathletics.com/news/2021/3/13/bvu-football-modifies-spring-2021-competition-to-conference-scrimmages.aspx

They weren't keeping score but Simpson won handily 😉 (my son plays there ☺️)