BB: SLIAC: St Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Yatzee on December 24, 2012, 05:14:21 PM
Webster University coming in ranked #9 in the Preseason Poll with 2 teams beaten last year ranked ahead of them. #7 Kean (World Series game 2: 8-7) and #4 Birmingham Southern (Central Regional Semi-Final: 6-1, Central Regional Championship: 3-2)

Looks like they have a tough first part of the season:
#1 Wheaton
#3 SUNY Cortland
#5 Marietta
#14 St. Joseph, ME
Receiving Votes: Washington University, North Park University, and Rhodes University

http://www.websterathletics.com/news/2012/12/21/BB_1221122537.aspx

Webster always plays a strong early season schedule. A number of good players graduated, including the best pitcher. But there are two or three pitchers who were hurt last year and didn't throw a pitch all season that if they are healed and good to go can make the pitching staff just as good as last season.

BigPoppa

What is the word on Spadling this season? Are they going to make a run at Webster? I think the SLIAC would benefit from another strong team to make it more visible on the national scene.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Yatzee

I highly doubt that Spalding will make a run at Webster this year. After the run they had last year at the National level and the progress the team has had over the past years, I don't see any SLIAC team giving them a run for first place in a while, if ever. If I had to make a prediction I think that Spalding will finish 3rd in SLIAC behind Webster and Greenville. Greenville had a very decent squad last year and only lost 2 players if I'm not mistaken. Spalding had a very good year last year also, with being the top seed in their USCAA World Series and winning it, but they graduated quite a few of their dominate players. I, however, do not know what kind of recruiting class either school has brought in so this is all my opinion.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Yatzee on December 24, 2012, 05:14:21 PM
Webster University coming in ranked #9 in the Preseason Poll with 2 teams beaten last year ranked ahead of them. #7 Kean (World Series game 2: 8-7) and #4 Birmingham Southern (Central Regional Semi-Final: 6-1, Central Regional Championship: 3-2)

Looks like they have a tough first part of the season:
#1 Wheaton
#3 SUNY Cortland
#5 Marietta
#14 St. Joseph, ME
Receiving Votes: Washington University, North Park University, and Rhodes University

http://www.websterathletics.com/news/2012/12/21/BB_1221122537.aspx

All of the above games have been played. Webster loses to Wash U, North Park, and SUNY-Cortland and gets wins over Rhodes (2), Wheaton, Marietta, and St. Joseph.

depew24

Watching what Kurich has done with this team since he arrived has been amazing. Back to back World Series and from the way it currently looks, they should be making a third appearance.

Go Gorloks!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: depew24 on April 28, 2014, 01:28:42 PM
Watching what Kurich has done with this team since he arrived has been amazing. Back to back World Series and from the way it currently looks, they should be making a third appearance.

Go Gorloks!

You never know about these things. They just lost 4-2 to Wash U today. Waiting for a box score.

Cubbieboy

Box score doesn't show everything... St. Louis region had severe weather systems all day... Winds howling in at high speeds... yes both teams have to hit in the same conditions... I saw 3 Webster balls crushed that normally would have left yard today become adventurous outs in the outfield --- no balls were hit like that from WashU... In the end, WashU made the most of their big scoring opportunity and won the game... but the box score doesn't predict the better team.

Webster has deep pitching to go along with strong hitting.  They are well positioned to do will this tournament season... We will see...

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Cubbieboy on April 29, 2014, 12:34:51 AM
Box score doesn't show everything... St. Louis region had severe weather systems all day... Winds howling in at high speeds... yes both teams have to hit in the same conditions... I saw 3 Webster balls crushed that normally would have left yard today become adventurous outs in the outfield --- no balls were hit like that from WashU... In the end, WashU made the most of their big scoring opportunity and won the game... but the box score doesn't predict the better team.

Webster has deep pitching to go along with strong hitting.  They are well positioned to do will this tournament season... We will see...

Thanks for that observation. You now have positive karma.

Cubbieboy

Webster beats Westminster 2-1 in 19 innings:  (scoreless game through 12 innings --- both plated a run in the 13th) --- 4.5 hour game -

"Let's play 2 (and then one more inning)!"

Cubbieboy

May 8-10, 2014
Glik Park (Highland, Ill.)

Participating Teams
Fontbonne University
Greenville College
Spalding University
Webster University

Schedule/Results

Thursday, May 8
Game 1 - #2 Spalding vs. #3 Greenville, 2 p.m.
Game 2 - #1 Webster vs. #4 Fontbonne, 5 p.m.
Game 3 - Loser of Game 1 vs. Loser of Game 2, 8 p.m.

Friday, May 9
Game 4 - Winner of Game 1 vs. Winner of Game 2, 5 p.m.
Game 5 - Winner of Game 3 vs. Loser of Game 4, 8 p.m.

Saturday, May 10
Game 6 - Winner of Game 4 vs. Winner of Game 5, To Be Determined
Game 7 - If Necessary

Championship Game to be webcast LIVE on Collegecasts.com

hopefan

The battle for one of 4 spots in the SLIAC Conference Tourney is heated amongst FIVE teams.... someone is not going to make it.

Currently:

Webster 13-3    3 games remaining with non-contender Eureka, 3 games remaining with contender Fontbonne

Westminster   12-4   2 games remaining with non contender MacMurray,  2 games remaining with non contender Principia,   2 games remaining with contender Greenville

Spalding    12-4     3 games remaining with non-contender Principia, 3 games remaining with non-contender Blackburn

Greenville   12-5      3 games remaining with non-contender Blackburn, 2 games remaining with contender Westminster

Fontbonne    11-5     3 games remaining with non-contender Iowa Wesleyan, 3 games remaining with contender Webster

The Final weekend series between Webster and Fontbonne will be a huge one....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

^^^ If you revisit this in a week the picture might be clearer. Could be that there will be one or two teams that have locked in a spot and three or four fighting for the other spots. All five contending teams play their final series starting next Friday, 5/1 -- WU vs FU, GC vs WC, and SU vs BC. And let's not assume that because SU is contending and BC isn't that SU will sweep that series. Baseball is much less predictable than basketball. All non-contending teams (other than BC) will be finished the middle of next week.

y_jack_lok

Spalding splits a DH w/Prin today and Fontbonne splits w/Iowa Wes. Spalding now w/5 losses and Fontbonne w/6 losses.

hopefan

Fontbonne loses again to IWC on Sunday, taking them to 7 losses... Fontbonne will have to sweep Webster next weekend, 3 of 3, in order to have any possible chance of being top 4 and earning a tourney spot (barring a major losing streak by Greenville)....   If that doesn't happen, top 4 will be Webster, Spalding, Westminster, and Greenville.....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

Webster takes two from Eureka today. So with four games left the worst they can do is finish with seven losses. Given how they handled Eureka today I'd say a loss to the Red Devils tomorrow would be a big upset, especially since Webster has one of its top pitchers starting. But, hey, anything can happen.