MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Palmer

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 14, 2019, 01:16:52 PM
Drake, NABC All-Americanawards are very lazy... they take the POY from each region and place them on the first team. They then take the second and third best players from each region and make the second and third team all-America. So yeah Booker made it over Francis and Garver, but we knew that yesterday, and it's not the correct way of selecting AllAmerican teams, in my eyes at least.

Jeez, that is lazy. If that's the case why not release everything yesterday?  That would have been even less work.  ::) ;)
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Gregory Sager

They do it over two days because it makes what the NABC is doing look more legitimate at first blush. It's only when you realize that: a) the first team is automatically made up of the eight regional POY selections; and b) the three A-A teams are set up in such a way that each region automatically gets one of the eight spots on each of the three teams, that you realize what a badly-compromised and seriously flawed result you get each year with the NABC selections.

The d3hoops.com All-American team is constructed in a much more painstaking and comprehensive way, and it's much more legit because it isn't hamstrung by equal-access regional representation requirements.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 14, 2019, 02:35:44 PM
They do it over two days because it makes what the NABC is doing look more legitimate at first blush. It's only when you realize that: a) the first team is automatically made up of the eight regional POY selections; and b) the three A-A teams are set up in such a way that each region automatically gets one of the eight spots on each of the three teams, that you realize what a badly-compromised and seriously flawed result you get each year with the NABC selections.

The d3hoops.com All-American team is constructed in a much more painstaking and comprehensive way, and it's much more legit because it isn't hamstrung by equal-access regional representation requirements.

We hamstring ourselves by trying to pick teams that can take the floor together (ie: has both guards and forwards) - that's going to make things much more difficult this year - but I do like our way better - although I can totally see why the coaching organization would do it regionally.  It makes sense for them and their membership.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

bball1122

Any method of picking a first team that does not include Aston Francis is not legit.  What a joke.   

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 14, 2019, 05:06:33 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 14, 2019, 02:35:44 PM

We hamstring ourselves by trying to pick teams that can take the floor together (ie: has both guards and forwards) - that's going to make things much more difficult this year -

That's true. But, to revise my metaphor, while the d3hoops.com methodology hamstrings you guys, the NABC methodology amputates the legs right out from under anything resembling an arguably accurate selection of players.

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 14, 2019, 05:06:33 PMbut I do like our way better - although I can totally see why the coaching organization would do it regionally.  It makes sense for them and their membership.

Sure. But when the needs of the organization take primacy over the accuracy of the selection process, then the only proper thing to do is to point that out every year in order to: a) quash the propaganda that the NABC All-American team is anywhere close to being accurate in its representation of the 24 best players in D3 men's basketball; and b) prevent the NABC All-American team from being seen as an equal or an analogue, or both (or, even worse, that the NABC team might somehow be superior to), the d3hoops.com team. The d3hoops.com team ought to have more cachet than the NABC team, because it has a much better selection methodology.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Drake Palmer

Well sadly, another hoops season has come to a close.  A few thoughts...

Although the wide open perimeter game has started to change basketball from the NBA on down, this year's D3 champion, UW-Oshkosh demonstrated that a talented big man, is still an invaluable commodity. 6-8 JR, Jack Flynn was an absolute beast in the Final Four, was selected the Final Four MOP, and made a D3Hoops AA team.  It certainly helped to have another 6-8 forward in Adam Fravert who can run the floor like a wing, pop treys from the outside, plus provide tough shot blocking abilities in the paint.  Fun to watch. Oshkosh will have a really solid nucleus again year as they will return Flynn, Fravert, Connor Duax, plus a couple of other guys who got significant minutes this year. 

I watched a number of D3 tourney games this year, and saw a number of talented bigs from Guilford, Swarthmore, Nichols, Williams, etc. Here, in MIAC land, it appears that in order to contend at a national level will require more skilled multi-purpose forwards to go along with the sharpshooting wings that we seem to be developing.

Congratulations also to Augsburg's Booker Coplin who made the D3hoops AA second team, and UST's Anders Nelson who was selected the national Rookie of the Year.  Congrats to both players.

https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/2019
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Smitty Oom

Congrats to NABC National POY, Booker Coplin!

I mean he is not the correct choice... but he did have a tremendous season and is definitely deserving to be in the small list of deserving student-athletes!

AO

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 19, 2019, 03:07:31 PM
Congrats to NABC National POY, Booker Coplin!

I mean he is not the correct choice... but he did have a tremendous season and is definitely deserving to be in the small list of deserving student-athletes!
Francis was obviously great but Coplin was more efficient and is a better defender.  If we're drafting players I'm taking Coplin first.

tomt4525

2019 G Sam Close (6-0) of Middleton(WI) has committed to University of St. Thomas.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: tomt4525 on April 02, 2019, 08:50:17 PM
2019 G Sam Close (6-0) of Middleton(WI) has committed to University of St. Thomas.

Do you have a scouting report on him, TomT? Thanks for the updates!

tomt4525

Quote from: Smitty Oom on April 03, 2019, 08:36:19 AM
Quote from: tomt4525 on April 02, 2019, 08:50:17 PM

Do you have a scouting report on him, TomT? Thanks for the updates!

Sorry, I don't have much of a scouting report for you.  I just watched his highlights online but haven't seen him play live.  From highlights, he's crafty on offense..always moving without the ball...looks to have a good outside shot as Middleton seems to run sets just to get him a look from outside, even if it's a little off balance.  He won't wow you as an athlete but looks to be a smart defender.  He plays in a tough conference which should bode well for him at the next level.

PurpleReign

UST picks up a commitment from 6'7" Shakopee post Brooks Allen.

Drake Palmer

Quote from: PurpleReign on April 03, 2019, 10:25:11 AM
UST picks up a commitment from 6'7" Shakopee post Brooks Allen.

Brooks Allen could be a real nice find for the Tommies. Allen certainly has the athletic bloodlines.  His older brother Jackson, won the MN State HS tennis championship in singles in 2016, is a soph at the U, and plays #3 singles for the Gophers. Their great uncle played football at the U. Also, the Allen brothers' parents both played varsity sports in college. Their mom played tennis at Gustavus & St. Cloud State, and is also the HS tennis coach at Shakopee. The father, Erik Allen, was a 3 time All Conference basketball player at Gustavus, and was inducted into the Gustavus Sports Hall of Fame.

From highlights I saw online, Allen looks to be a lanky, athletic post, good wheels, with a decent outside shot, and is ambidextrous around the basket.  Needs to fill out, and it will be interesting to see if he has any post moves. Since his father graduated from Gustavus and played for Coach Mark Hanson, I wonder if GAC was in Allen's final list of schools?

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Smitty Oom on April 05, 2019, 08:10:52 AM
http://m.startribune.com/miac-rivals-plot-ouster-of-st-thomas/508145182/

I really don't know the actual advantage enrollment plays in sports as football recruits football players, basketball recruits basketball players and the education department recruits potential future teachers. My first thought is that this sounds like sour grapes. If you can't beat them, kick them out?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!