BB: USAC: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by narch, December 30, 2005, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnufan

Capts/Lynchburg postponed Sunday. They will make it up later.

narch

monarchs take a dh sweep from flagler today...flagler had played 8 games coming into the weekend (5-3) and the monarchs played without some starters, so these were good wins...brandt got knocked around for 13 hits and 6 er in game one, but varnell came out of the pen and pitched 3+ scoreless and mc got the bats going in the late innings to win 12-6 - second game was a 6-4 win for the monarchs - game story

narch

a little late, since the season is now 2 games old, but here is the monarch season preview

cnufan

Capts open with a 10-3 win over Randolph-Macon. Corbin goes 4-for-5 with a solo homer and three RBIs. Brad Melton was 3-for-3 with two doubles and a couple RBIs as well.

narch

monarchs got rocked, 11-3 at huntingdon today...no details, just a score for now

John McGraw

FINAL

Cortland 5 Christopher Newport 1

First Dragons win to open the season in a long time. The game is called in the bottom of the sixth because of snow. Weather.com around the time of the game said the temperature in Newport News was registering at 32 degrees. You gotta love the Dragons and Captains playing at freezing temperatures.

Oh yeah, 2005 SUNYAC Pitcher of the Year Jim Dougher combined with Justin Mattes to throw a no-hitter for Cortland. Shawn Ensel provided the offense for the second ranked Dragons with a three-run homerun. Cortland's game against Rowan was cancelled.

cnufan

So was CNU's game against No. 5 Rowan on Sunday.

narch

monarchs sweep lagrange today...nice wins and a good rebound from the huntingdon loss

game story

game one box score - brandt gets a complete game w giving up just one run

game two box - denning goes 8 solid

narch

narch

some big games this weekend...conference season sure does get cranked up quickly now - here are my series predictions

Ferrum @ Methodist mc 2-1
Averett @ Chris. Newport cnu 3-0
N.C. Wesleyan @ Greensboro ncwc 2-1

Coop4POY

First of all, I like Austin and he runs a classy program but you unrealistic Monarch fans are hilarious!
     I'm not sure what today's HAMMERING of Brandt says about the CPL but I'm sure no one with any sense will ever mention pitching again without saying RYAN COOPER 1st! He dominated! Take all those crazy votes in the POY poll to right field while you search for Stover's BOMBS! I was as bored today watching those games as I have ever been.
     And Narch, did you say something about HOSTING a regional??????????? If Methodist had the brightest lights in the world it wouldn't matter. I can see 1000 people driving 5 miles through campus over 72 speedbumbs to find 5 parking spots that are safe from foul balls. The hole in the wall concession stand and one seater toilets probably wouldn't be a hit either.
     I drove 3 hours to be disappointed by an "ALL-AMERICAN" pitcher, a "TOSS UP FOR FIRST PLACE" team, and a "REGIONAL CALIBER" facility.
     I certainly don't mind you being a fan - but for goodness sake, be realistic. I can't wait to hear the spin on today's whipping!

Coop4POY

How do you watch todays game and only give Cooper a small blurb at the end of the story? He threw against the "MIGHTY MONARCHS" and was matched up with a "PRESEASON ALL AMERICAN" pitcher. Here's all he did - 7 innings, 2 ER, 8 K's, 1 BB and probably would have went the distance (keeping MC from getting all those mop up runs) but his defense made 3 errors behind him in the 7th! But I can understand how they weren't ready to play - I was getting ready to fall asleep myself.

The MC spin kills me.

narch

coop - i'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to fayetteville - it sounds like your boys brought their sticks today - obviously, ferrum has the monarchs number...they did last year and they did today - nice win for your boys today, i'm just hoping my boys can make a comeback in the suspended game and win the 3rd...it's still possible that the monarchs could win this series (although i'll be the first to admit that it's unlikely being down 7-1 in the 6th of the suspended game)

brandt hasn't lived up to the hype yet this season, but there is a lot of season left, my friend, and it's about how you finish not how you start...cooper is unquestionably one of the best pitchers in the conference and it looks like he pitched well today

no need to question the cpl...it's one of the best wood bat summer leagues on the east coast - it is a pitching friendly league, though, as most hitters are using wood bats for the first time in their career - take a look at batting averages, power numbers and era...no question pitching rules in the cpl, but brandt's numbers were impressive even when measured against his (primarily division 1) peers in the cpl

sorry you were disappointed by shelley field - no question it could use some improvements, but if the monarchs win the conference and 30+ games with the schedule they are playing, hosting a regional is not out of the question...regionals have certainly been played in worse locations

the ferrum series, while important, is not the only series the monarchs or panthers will play - it's clear that the monarchs can win the conference without winning this series...they did it last year :)

and regarding the game story...if the ferrum sid wants to write a story that focuses on what cooper did, he (or she) is more than welcome to...i don't think it's the methodist sid's responsibiltiy to promote the opposition

i hope that this weekend isn't the only time you post...it would be a shame for you to crawl out of the woods for a few posts over the weekend and then fade away...you've got so much insight to provide

Coop4POY

I'm glad Methodist won a close game on Sunday b/c I needed something else to pick on them about. As if I wasn't tired enough from watching them get blown out Saturday, Tom rocked me to sleep with 6,378 bunts on Sunday. Narch, I know you're going to give me the old fundamental, whatever it takes to win speech - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Here is what will put Shelly Field over the hump in the race to host a regional - install BUNKBEDS!
Watching Methodist win baseball games is like watching Ferrum win football games - kinda resembles ESPN Classic.
Congrats on a win - see ya at tournament time. And all you loud Greensboro fans, bundle up next weekend - we're about to see if the Pride is ready to compete! (my guess is that they're NOT!)

narch

coop...sorry you don't like watching good, fundamentally sound baseball where teams manufacture runs...i guess it's an acquired taste, but it has produced some pretty solid results for coach austin - one of the things that really sets coach austin and his teams apart is they almost always do the little things very well...they run, they move runners over, they play solid defense, and they usually pitch pretty well (this weekend notwithstanding), but when he's had some big boppers (the teams with glies, ross, adames and co. of a few years ago come to mind), he's adjusted and played more "big inning" baseball - mc doesn't have a big bat in the lineup this year, so i imagine teams should get used to lots of small ball and manufactured runs - you call that boring, i call it playing to your strengths

i'm glad mc won, as well...a sweep could have been a real blow this early in the season for the monarchs - ferrum is going to be very tough...they seem to have some serious offensive weapons to go along with very solid pitching - i've never questioned the validity of their #9 national ranking or their pre-season selection as the team to beat in the conference

i look forward to more of your in-depth analysis...you are truly a great baseball mind, and i'm glad you've decided to post