FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olddog

Quote from: RFB on November 10, 2020, 11:48:29 AM
Quote from: 10Freeway on November 09, 2020, 02:36:12 PM
Redlands is hurting... CFO leaves in June, Dean of Instruction is leaving for Morehouse College and now the President is leaving higher ed in June.  That is not a good economic indicator...

Not surprised at all. Small, private universities are bleeding money. I'm a Redlands alumnus, and would not send my child there at it's current cost even if I could easily afford it. Very few universities can justify 60k+ annual tuition, and Redlands is certainly not one of them.

RFB, I would have said the same thing if my kids were young too.  I don't know what age your children are and what race you are but, if your kids qualify for UC schools but not at the very top of their class, they wont get in due to being white or Asian. So you are left looking out of state or going private. If you factor in what merit based aid you can get...it narrows the decision. The fact that these schools have smaller class sizes is a huge plus. You can go to USC and sit in with 200 kids and pay the same as 35 kids in a class.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

RFB

Quote from: olddog on November 10, 2020, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: RFB on November 10, 2020, 11:48:29 AM
Quote from: 10Freeway on November 09, 2020, 02:36:12 PM
Redlands is hurting... CFO leaves in June, Dean of Instruction is leaving for Morehouse College and now the President is leaving higher ed in June.  That is not a good economic indicator...

Not surprised at all. Small, private universities are bleeding money. I'm a Redlands alumnus, and would not send my child there at it's current cost even if I could easily afford it. Very few universities can justify 60k+ annual tuition, and Redlands is certainly not one of them.

RFB, I would have said the same thing if my kids were young too.  I don't know what age your children are and what race you are but, if your kids qualify for UC schools but not at the very top of their class, they wont get in due to being white or Asian. So you are left looking out of state or going private. If you factor in what merit based aid you can get...it narrows the decision. The fact that these schools have smaller class sizes is a huge plus. You can go to USC and sit in with 200 kids and pay the same as 35 kids in a class.

I have a daughter (13) and she is in the 8th grade. She's white, but highly driven and athletic with a ton of extracurricular activities that look good on college applications. She will have the grades to have plenty of selection to choose from, but I refuse to pay those tuition prices and I will have a nice chunk of cash set aside to pay for school.

olddog

RFB, Congrats on your daughter. I hope it all works out, my kids were in the top of their class too, multi sports, volunteered, etc...one tested out very well on the ACT...but our plans changed despite some offers.
You would be surprised, many small schools (NAIA and D3) offered merit based grants that paid quite a bit and made it close to UC school cost living on campus.

RFB

Quote from: olddog on November 11, 2020, 12:16:28 PM
RFB, Congrats on your daughter. I hope it all works out, my kids were in the top of their class too, multi sports, volunteered, etc...one tested out very well on the ACT...but our plans changed despite some offers.
You would be surprised, many small schools (NAIA and D3) offered merit based grants that paid quite a bit and made it close to UC school cost living on campus.

Yep. Still plenty of time to figure it all out. Now just need sports opened back up to so she can start playing with her AAU hoops team again. They are practicing, but are getting chased off outside basketball courts by overstepping authorities and citizens.

Oxy1995

Quote from: olddog on November 11, 2020, 12:16:28 PM
My daughter is junior at Oxy and we are paying less per year there than we would have at a UC

10Freeway

That's how they make it affordable.  The price at most SCIAC schools after academic money comes in lower than living on campus at a UC.  For being subsidized with our tax money, the UC's are very expensive.
When the legend becomes fact, print the legend-
  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

OxyBob

Quote from: RFB on November 11, 2020, 01:03:24 PM
Yep. Still plenty of time to figure it all out. Now just need sports opened back up to so she can start playing with her AAU hoops team again. They are practicing, but are getting chased off outside basketball courts by overstepping authorities and citizens.

I wouldn't give up on Redlands. From past history, I understand they have a good cheer squad.

OxyBob

olddog

Awake and Bright Joe says households making under 125k, kids will go to college for free and college debt is waived. Problem solved, let the last 5% pay their fair share or just borrow against their future.

RFB

Quote from: OxyBob on November 17, 2020, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: RFB on November 11, 2020, 01:03:24 PM

I wouldn't give up on Redlands. From past history, I understand they have a good cheer squad.

OxyBob

If only I had a son who played quarterback.

OzJohnnie

My sympathies to you Californians as you enter the curfew insanities we lived through down here and which a state (other than mine, thank goodness) just threw down with 24 hours notice.  In South Australia it is now unlawful to leave for home FOR ANY REASON, including walking the dog, other than shopping for food essentials, working in approved industries or seeking medical care.
[  

olddog

It's ok Johnie, our great and honorable state leader is dining well, kids are in school and his business is wide open. Thankfully the wise people of CA picked him. He is proven to be a great leader and an example to all us. South Dakota unemployment is in the 3 percent range, and our is in the teens. It really not a big deal, our EED office is a well ran machine, so little fall out.

OxyBob

Quote from: OzJohnnie on November 19, 2020, 06:27:14 PM
My sympathies to you Californians as you enter the curfew insanities we lived through down here and which a state (other than mine, thank goodness) just threw down with 24 hours notice.

The sheriffs in Ventura, Sacramento, Fresno, Merced, and Kings counties all said they are not going to enforce Gavin Newsom's curfew. More sheriffs will certainly refuse to enforce Newsom's unenforceable curfew.

OxyBob

OzJohnnie

Quote from: OxyBob on November 20, 2020, 03:55:24 PM
My sympathies to you Californians as you enter the curfew insanities we lived through down here and which a state (other than mine, thank goodness) just threw down with 24 hours notice.

The sheriffs in Ventura, Sacramento, Fresno, Merced, and Kings counties all said they are not going to enforce Gavin Newsom's curfew. More sheriffs will certainly refuse to enforce Newsom's unenforceable curfew.

OxyBob

A great advantage of the American republic system over the Westminster system is that law enforcement, although executive, is elected independent of the political executive and also tasked with enforcing the constitution. In Australia all law enforcement serves at the pleasure of the political executive so there is no opportunity for disagreement about legal enforcement.  When it comes to govt overreach the American system has far more effective checks in place.
[  

OxyBob

EDIT: Add Orange County and El Dorado County to the list of sheriffs who won't enforce Newsom's curfew.

OxyBob

olddog

Quote from: OxyBob on November 20, 2020, 04:52:47 PM

EDIT: Add Orange County and El Dorado County to the list of sheriffs who won't enforce Newsom's curfew.

Add Yountville PD too, home of the Gavin's favorite eatery

OxyBob