WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NW Hope Fan

I don't remember who the quote was from, but I recall one opposing player (I think from Scranton) said something like: They were big... It seemed like when their bench came in they were even bigger than their starters...

I don't doubt that she was referring to size, but it seems to me she also was referring to HEART. Hope's bench not only played as big or in some cases physically bigger than the starters, but they came in and played like starters, with heart and emotion. Top to bottom, a great TEAM.
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

mark_reichert

Quote from: tniem on March 23, 2006, 07:03:51 AM
Except he is saying it on the MIAA Board where it is mainly Hope fans right now.  Who is going to give him bad karma?  ;)

I wasn't going to post here again until Coleman said I'd been discredited, but given that WashU has been stuck playing Stevens Point, Trinity, Milliken, and Hope BEFORE the Final Four the last five years, I'd say WashU fans have had plenty of bad karma already, particularly if you compare us to Scranton and Southern Maine fans.  You might rightly believe I'm whining, but I say I am perfectly right in seeing it as a sick joke played from on high, if only as high as the NCAA.

NW Hope Fan

Got to win the games to get to the final 4... Look at Hope this year. On the road the whole way and beating 17, 10, 4, 3, 2, and 1 to win it all...

Quote from: mark_reichert on March 24, 2006, 04:38:40 PM
You might rightly believe I'm whining

Yup... :'( :'( :'(
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

ronk

There was no end to them," said Southern Maine forward Ashley Marble, an All-Tournament selection, who was held nine points below her average to just eight points. "It seemed like they got bigger every time they came in."

NW Hope Fan

Hoper Upper

mark_reichert:

One difference between DIII and the other divisions is that regional games  in the NCAA tournament is based on geography  rather than seeding.  Whoever comes out of the midwest has had to beat teams from the midwest.  As far as basketball, IMHO the best teams are in the midwest--so to get into the final 4 you have to beat a lot of good teams.

IMHO, the ratings would be:

(1)  Hope
(2)  Washington U.
(3)  Scranton
(4)  DePauw
(5)  Southern Maine

sac

Ottawa County, the capital of women's college basketball. ;D :D ;)

DIII Champ---Hope
DII Champ----GVSU

What do we have to do to get these two together?

NW Hope Fan

albinomascot19

3 championships in one year for Grand Valley State, how nice....Football, Women's Volleyball and Women's basketball...and it might not be over yet.......

albinomascot19

So DIII-Hope, DII-Grand Valley State, just need MSU to win it in DI Tourney....and it will be a heck of a year for womens basketball in michigan  :P

Civic Minded

Quote from: Hoper Upper on March 25, 2006, 05:02:16 AM
mark_reichert:

One difference between DIII and the other divisions is that regional games  in the NCAA tournament is based on geography  rather than seeding.  Whoever comes out of the midwest has had to beat teams from the midwest.  As far as basketball, IMHO the best teams are in the midwest--so to get into the final 4 you have to beat a lot of good teams.

IMHO, the ratings would be:

(1)  Hope
(2)  Washington U.
(3)  Scranton
(4)  DePauw
(5)  Southern Maine

Having watched 4 of the 5 teams play, I would rank them:

(1)  Hope
(2)  Washington U. (haven't seen them; will take your word)
(3)  Southern Maine
(4)  Scranton
(5)  DePauw  (actually, 4 & 5 seem pretty close in my book; could go either way)
2014 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion  :)

northb

Quote from: sac on March 25, 2006, 10:15:00 PM

DIII Champ---Hope
DII Champ----GVSU

That is impressive, when you think that thet have to recruit against each other.  How many of their players were recruited by both teams?
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: northb on March 28, 2006, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: sac on March 25, 2006, 10:15:00 PM

DIII Champ---Hope
DII Champ----GVSU

That is impressive, when you think that thet have to recruit against each other.  How many of their players were recruited by both teams?

Good question - I'll bet a few.  I did notice that GVSU has a "bench" player with the last name of Baltmanis.  Looking at her picture - I would guess she is the younger sister of former Hope player Amy Baltmanis - who was at the final four in Springfield.  Talk about a fun couple of weeks for her, if she made it to see GVSU win as well.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

gohope

FDF -

Yup!  Julie is Amy's "younger" sister from Paw Paw, Michigan.  From what I recall it came down between GVSU and Hope.  I perused the GVSU stats and she hasn't had a lot of playing time.  But maybe only time will tell about that.  And... HOPEfully Amy was able to go and cheer on lil sis too!

Flying Dutch Fan

FYI - all you Hope fans - from the Hope website:

A tribute to the national champion Flying Dutch will be held Wednesday, April 12 at 7:30 p.m. in the DeVos Fieldhouse.

I was just looking at the career record for the seniors on this team:

33-1 Freshman year (02-03)
23-4 Sophomore year (03-04)
23-4 Junior year (04-05)
33-1 Senior year (05-06)

110 -10 Total

Thats a winning percentage of 91.7%!!!  Not bad to look back and your worst season you went 23-4.  It's a shame they only got into the tournament twice.

2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight