WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bushop

Quote from: Dark Knight on November 22, 2006, 06:46:04 AM

Next up is an even bigger test, at DIII #5 Wheaton.

I don't see Calvin beating the Thunder this season.

Dark Knight

Quote from: Bushop on November 22, 2006, 01:10:25 PM

Any reasoning behind your pronouncement?

Bushop

I think Calvin caught Wheaton by surprise last season.  Plus they play in the windy city.  Harris handled the Wheaton post players, I don't think we'll see a repeat of that again either.

What do you think?

Dark Knight

Quote from: Bushop on November 22, 2006, 09:53:52 PM
I think Calvin caught Wheaton by surprise last season.  Plus they play in the windy city.  Harris handled the Wheaton post players, I don't think we'll see a repeat of that again either.

What do you think?

I agree that last year's game seemed to be a bit of an abberation, especially since Wheaton defeated Hope the same weekend. However, Wheaton's high pre-season ranking is based on four returning starters, and one of them hasn't played so far this year due to injury. Two important subs didn't return to the team, and the Wheaton coach says that "depth will be a concern."  Wheaton has already lost by 9 at home to unranked Wilmington.

The knights are better now than they were at this time last year, I think. Last year's back court was all freshmen and sophomores, and this year they all have a year of experience, plus some newcomers to add depth. And based on the Aquinas game, Calvin will play an up-tempo, fast-break offense that will take advantage of Calvin's depth and athleticism.

So, I think Calvin has a good shot at it.

Bushop

Quote from: Dark Knight on November 22, 2006, 06:46:04 AM

Next up is an even bigger test, at DIII #5 Wheaton.

Quote from: Bushop on November 22, 2006, 01:10:25 PM

I should write .... until the NCAA tourney.

Flying Dutch Fan

New top 25 is out.  Hope at #2, only 5 points out of first.  Calvin also breaks into the top 10 at #9
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hope1

the  hope girls  won tonight    first game in  miaa  beat  saint marys
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

sac

I took in the Hope/St.Mary's game tonight which Hope won 67-42.

Boy can those ladies play defense.  They just stiffled the Belles all night.  I believe the score would have been much worse had Hope not struggled to shoot the ball  to start, but StM led 6-2 then Hope held them scoreless for the next 7-8 minutes but Hope really didn't pour in the points either, although it was a 15-0 run.

St Mary's shot under 30% for the game, committed 29 turnovers, 19 of those register as Hope steals.  Their leading scorer averaging 19 a game was held to 10 but had only 3 with 10 minutes to go.

I didn't see a whole lot of last years Hope team but from what I did see there are two glaring differences between last year and this year  1)  they have a distinct lack of 3 point shooters  2)  No Bria Ebels and her basketball shoes full of energy and 5-8 plays a game no other ladie on the floor could make.

Right now their defense is way ahead of their offense which sometimes resembled a jumbled mess, but the defense was sound and quick to double and pressure.

Perhaps the most impressive thing is the 3 Freshman who come off the bench.  All 3 are very solid and sound ball players particularly Cowen and Greene.  As they get better, Hope will get better.  Very impresssed with how well these 3 played D, not something Fr are always adept at doing.

So at least for tonight I was able to satisfy my craving for a good basketball hot dog, felt good to be back in DeVos.

Felt really weird to walk outside into the warmer great outdoors afterwards.

Bushop

Has John Ross coached Calvin team ever beaten Hope?

knightrider

Yes a John Ross coached team has beaten Hope.  It happened in the MIAA tournament in 2005.  Kristen McDonald scored 40 and the knights won by 6.  That was the most recent.  They also beat hope in his first year as coach by 12 in their second meeting during the regular season.  Overall though, Ross coached Calvin teams are 2-6 verse hope.
One thing to remember though is that in all of those meetings you have had Bria Ebels playing for hope, along with Linda Ebels and a lot of the other nucleas of last years championship team.  So going 2-6 against them in that time is actually not that bad.  It will be interesting to see what happens this year seeing that Hope's core of the past couple years has now graduated.  Sac's two differences that he sees in the hope team this year already is what I kind of thought might happen this year.  So I'm excited to see what happens.  Maybe by the end of this year Ross's record vs hope will be 5-6, but here is hoping (no pun intended).
Anyone else have any thoughts about the season at hand? Any predictions?

NW Hope Fan

WHEATON 49 Calvin 46
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

sac

The other ladies final

Hope 65 Carthage 51

Should be quit a tilt between Wheaton and Hope tommorrow.

Dark Knight

Calvin over Carthage 83-61, despite 23 turnovers. Carthage didn't have an answer for Calvin's front line, and Calvin shot three-pointers well too.

Lisa Winkle (21 points, 14 rebounds) became Calvin's all-time leading scorer and rebounder in this game. Congrats!

NW Hope Fan

As the men stunk it up this weekend, Hope still has the women to cheer for as they defeated Wheaton 83-81 in OT. Congrats ladies on another win against a formidable in-region opponent!
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Bushop

RESULTS
Wednesday, December 6

Calvin 86, Kalamazoo 58
Saint Mary's 56, Adrian 48