WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grutte Dirk

I was surprised how quiet the crowd of 2,911 was.  The Hope fans roared after the Dutch got back in the game and took a lead.  I strongly believe that if the crowd had been with the team throughout the game,  Calvin would've been cooked.
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

Oval

scores
Jan 13

Olivet 75, Alma 63
St Marys 72, Kazoo 40
3State 74, Adrian 69
Calvin 60, Hope 57

WWWRHH

The agony of defeat....

As a Hope fan it is tempting to blame the loss last night on inconsistent refing in the first half, or bad luck on a couple of close shots that would just not fall.  However, I think that in the end we have to acknowledge that Calvin won because came into the game with a near perfect strategy, and maintained the discipline to execute that strategy when the game tightened. 

Also, Hope's performance in the early minutes of the game once again put them in a hole.  Against a weak team it is possible to recover from early turnovers and one pass and a missed shot offense, but last night there was not enough time to pull it out against a good, disciplined and well coached team.  It would have been nice if the crowd was more into it early, but sometimes you need something to cheer about.

Calvin's Strategy: (Just my impressions as an observer - as coaches say "I haven't yet reviewed the film" :))

Calvin altered the starting lineup in a very surprising way.  Harris was on the bench and Willet started.  The first thing that went through my mind was that Harris must have violated a team rule, but I quickly saw that Ross was determined to keep at least one skilled big player on the court all the time and at the same time create a size mismatch against Hope's relatively small 4 position (power forward) players.  Calvin was content to let Hope's centers get their points by never double teaming in the post as long as they were able to neutralize the 4s, take away the perimeter shot and make it difficult for  Greene and Henderson to drive to the basket.

For the minutes she played and the shots she took, Willet's numbers are not impressive, but her size on defense made a huge difference.  Hope got only 6 pts and 4 rbds from the 4 position.  Calvins big players "stayed home" on defense with there hands high and made driving the basket very difficult.  This allowed the Knights guards to play tough, tight defense on the perimeter and pressure the ball all the time.

On the offensive end Calvin's inside mismatch seemed to pull Hope's guards to the middle to help which opened up the floor for some nice mid-range shots.  I was also impressed with the way Calvin moved the ball.

In the end, the closeness of the final score is a testament to Hope's ability to fight back and play tough defense.  Hopefully, last night is a wake up call for the team to not get in the hole early.

I was impressed with the play of Wood and Lange against the toughest competition they have faced this year.  Perhaps last night's game will give Hope some ideas on how to use its size to greater advantage in the future.

Green Hornet

What a sad loss. Sitting courtside let me see that Hope just expected the win. No intensity. What the heck? They came out flat and Morehouse didn't have them ready. I think their plan was flawed. They have good shooters. Let them shoot. Jordan needs to let the ball fly.

Grutte Dirk

Quote from: WWWRHH on January 14, 2007, 10:12:47 AM
The agony of defeat....

As a Hope fan it is tempting to blame the loss last night on inconsistent refing in the first half, or bad luck on a couple of close shots that would just not fall. 

Looked like both teams missed mutiple bunnies, but please don't hoot about the refs.  Wood and Lange would spend 5-10 seconds in the lane again and again.  There were a few strange calls against both teams in the last ten minutes.
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

Dark Knight

Quote from: WWWRHH on January 14, 2007, 10:12:47 AM
The agony of defeat....

Calvin's Strategy:

WWWRHH,

Nice analysis -- thanks. I wasn't at the game, but it sounds very plausible.

One big difference between the knights last year and this is that they trailed the league in 3-point percentage last year, and this year they lead the league. Zone defense or pulling guards toward the middle has not successful this year. The threes weren't dropping for the most part yesterday, but as you say, there were some nice mid-range shots.

sac

MIAA.org is reporting the 2911 in attendance set a regular season D3 record for woman's attendance.  So pat yourself on the back if you were in attendance, great crowd and the ladies deserve it.  Hope v Calvin now owns both men and womens  D3 attendance records.

As for the atmosphere, its what you get when you put 2500 comfortable seats in an arena that sits 3500 and the home team plays terrible for 20 minutes. :-\

Pat Coleman

Read that in the releases on the front page of D3hoops.  ;)

Congrats. Cool records, both.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Sac, was that the MIAA record?  Or an NCAA record?

We are looking at 2000-2200 at McMurry vs. HSU on Jan 22nd and the Howard Payne at HSU game may beat that on Thursday the 25th. :)

Pat Coleman

The NCAA record book does not list a separate record for regular-season games. Calling it an NCAA record might be a stretch, since it doesn't appear the NCAA would recognize this as a record.

For the record, the release Hope posted on our site doesn't claim it as an NCAA record, so I am not calling them out for this.

Here's what is in the record book:
4,001—Wis.-Oshkosh (68) vs. Mount Union (50), March 16, 1996, at Kolf Sports Center,  Oshkosh, Wis. (NCAA final).
3,512—Wis.-Oshkosh (60) vs. New York U. (37), and Mount Union (71) vs. St. Thomas (Minn.) (57), March 15, 1996, Kolf Sports Center, Oshkosh, Wis. (NCAA semifinals).
3,300—UNC Greensboro (68) vs. Southern Me. (66) and Concordia-M'head (65) vs. St. John Fisher (57), March 19, 1988, at Memorial Arena, Moorhead, Minn. (NCAA third place and NCAA final).
3,154—Hope (94) vs. Edgewood (55), Nov. 19, 2005, at DeVos Fieldhouse, Holland, Mich.
2,850—St. John Fisher (70) vs. Southern Me. (53) and Concordia-M'head (103) vs. UNC Greensboro (66), March 18, 1988, at Memorial Arena, Moorhead, Minn. (NCAA semifinals).
2,550—Capital (72) vs. Wheaton (Mass.) (54) and Washington-St. Louis (86) vs. Wis.-Eau Claire (82) (ot), March 18, 1994, at W.L. Zorn Arena, Eau Claire, Wis. (NCAA semifinals).
2,507—St. Thomas (Minn.) (75) vs. New York U. (51), March 15, 1996, at Kolf Sports Center, Oshkosh, Wis. (NCAA third place).
2,500—UNC Greensboro (55) vs. Luther (52), March 11, 1988, at Regents Center, Decorah, Iowa (NCAA quarterfinal).
2,300—Capital (82) vs. Washington-St. Louis (63), March 19, 1994, at W.L. Zorn Arena, Eau Claire, Wis. (NCAA final).

Note the game in bold -- why is that game different? The NCAA recognizes men's/women's doubleheaders.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sac

Here's the link to miaa.org, you can read what they said and see a nice picture of the evening's event.

I think the MIAA (and truth be told the Hope SID since he runs the site) was trying to diferentiate the game as purely a regular-season women's event.  In other words there was no other draw.

At the very least its a regular season record since all those that Pat lists are NCAA tournament games, except the Hope men and women double header, which was also a special night in that it was opening night of DeVos Fieldhouse.  This was simply a regular season game between two rivals.

I thought it was awesome to see a great crowd give the women equal treatment in the Hope/Calvin rivalry.  Something that was always difficult to do with the men typically playing at the same time and in Hope's case the women  played in a different and overall poor facility before last year.

7,500 people watched a Hope v Calvin game Saturday in 2 different locations, and thats not even counting the TV audience for the men's game. 

Pat Coleman

Ehh, yeah, but it's kind of a fake record in the NCAA mind-set, though. It's taking the NCAA record and then applying two separate asterisks to it.

sac

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 15, 2007, 12:47:32 PM
Ehh, yeah, but it's kind of a fake record in the NCAA mind-set, though. It's taking the NCAA record and then applying two separate asterisks to it.

I can see where your coming from, but why does the NCAA recognize a men's/women's double-header for attendance.  That seems a  little disingenuous to the ladies.

Last year Hope had another double-header and the ladies got credit for an attendance of about 2800 which was also the men's attendance.  There weren't 1000 people at that game untill the final minute.

To me that attendance would be more fake than a legitimate women's only game  drawing almost 3,000 people.

Kind of strange I guess.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sac on January 15, 2007, 01:53:37 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 15, 2007, 12:47:32 PM

I can see where your coming from, but why does the NCAA recognize a men's/women's double-header for attendance.  That seems a  little disingenuous to the ladies.

Last year Hope had another double-header and the ladies got credit for an attendance of about 2800 which was also the men's attendance.  There weren't 1000 people at that game untill the final minute.

To me that attendance would be more fake than a legitimate women's only game  drawing almost 3,000 people.

Kind of strange I guess.

The NCAA's record book says a doubleheader can be counted for women's attendance if a separate attendance count is taken by halftime of the women's game. Were there 3,154 in the building by halftime? After all, it was the much-awaited opener of a spectacular new building. But people on this board would know better than I.

sac

I personally wasn't at that game so I don't know.