WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hope1

i know i can not wait till friday night to watch some good basketball game  kopke was waling  monday  but not so good  i think maybe play next weekend 
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

Flying Dutch Fan

From the article in the Sentinel (link below) sounds like the Lady Knights are going to have a tough time dealing with injuries to start the year

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/stories/111607/localsports_20071116057.shtml
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hope1

hope played good tonight a tough one saturday vs ohio northern i think
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

AlwaysHope

I was curious how Snickers would do in her first college game at Hope.  But she was not listed in the boxscore.  Anyone know why she did not play?

Flying Dutch Fan

Snikkers did play - she played with the second unit.  Something like 4 points and maybe about that many rebounds as well.  In my opinion, she looked more like a freshman than the rest of the freshman - but that might have been because of higher expectations.  Hope is an extremely deep team.

I think there is an issue with the scoreboard/stats board only handling 15 players, and Hope has 16.

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

sac

Looks like the Dutch absolutely womanhandled the Polar Bears today 89-61.

5 girls in double figures

http://www.miaa.org/wbb/stats/0708/1117onuw.htm

Flea

Women's Basketball - MIAA's Weekend

Hope (#4) 93, Oberlin 44
Hope (#4) 89, (OH) Northern 61

Calvin (#9) 79, Mount St Joseph 41
Calvin (#9) 62, Illinois College 52

Albion 85, SUNY Brockport 76 (OT)
Albion 58, Muskingum 56

Trine 72, Rose-Hulman 52
Trine 74, Franklin 59

(VA) Wesleyan 62, Adrian 55
Adrian 68, Ursinus 66

Baldwin Wallace 60, Alma 52 (2OT)
Alma 62, Marian 59

Kalamazoo 83, Dominican 81 (OT)
Capital (#20) 75, Kalamazoo 49

Wheaton 75, St Mary's 56
St Mary's 83, Aurora 47

DePauw (#5) 96, Olivet 63
Washington (MO) (#6) 68, Olivet 38

AlwaysHope

Here's a unique stat about Hope's 89-61 victory over Ohio Northern.  The starters scored 25 points in total, and the bench scored the remaining 64 points.  Thus the bench outscored ONU, 64 - 61!

The 5 Hope starters played a total of 67 minutes, while the 11 players coming off the bench played 130 minutes (numbers rounded off, since the total is not 200), so the entire bench was more productive than the starters were for this game.

And you can't say that ONU put in their reserves early.  The five ONU starters totaled 117 minutes of the 201 total minutes (again rounded off).

I thought I should do a similar comparison with their first opponent, Oberlin.  Results were even more so tilted to the bench.  The 5 Hope starters played 61 minutes and scored 25 points, while the bench played 139 minutes and scored the remaining 65 points, outscoring the entire Oberlin team, 65 - 44.  This was accomplished by and large against the 5 Oberlin starters, who played 150 of their team's 200 minutes; these starters scored 40 of the team's 44 points.  Or you could say that the Hope bench outscored the Oberlin bench 65 - 4!

Appropriately, one of the Hope bench players, Emily O'Hare, was named to the all-tourney team.

In both games every Hope player scored.  In the first game every player got a rebound, while in the second game everyone got a rebound except for one person.

Now that's depth!

sac

Excellent stuff!  I can't remember seeing something like that.

oldknight

Quote from: AlwaysHope on November 19, 2007, 08:16:43 PM
Here's a unique stat about Hope's 89-61 victory over Ohio Northern.  The starters scored 25 points in total, and the bench scored the remaining 64 points.  Thus the bench outscored ONU, 64 - 61!

The 5 Hope starters played a total of 67 minutes, while the 11 players coming off the bench played 130 minutes (numbers rounded off, since the total is not 200), so the entire bench was more productive than the starters were for this game.

I can't say I'm surprised. I think we're going to see more of this kind of bench output this year because 1) Hope's women won't have many close games and 2) Hope's bench is very talented.

AlwaysHope

Quote from: oldknight on November 19, 2007, 10:40:38 PM

I can't say I'm surprised. I think we're going to see more of this kind of bench output this year because 1) Hope's women won't have many close games and 2) Hope's bench is very talented.

Actually, you could argue that if the game is close, the "subs" should come in sooner, based on that two game performance.  They have been outplaying the starting unit in the first two games!

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: AlwaysHope on November 19, 2007, 11:43:44 PM
Quote from: oldknight on November 19, 2007, 10:40:38 PM

Actually, you could argue that if the game is close, the "subs" should come in sooner, based on that two game performance.  They have been outplaying the starting unit in the first two games!

To be more acurate, you would have to look at points per player minute (ppm).  If you do that, in the first game the starters scored at a rate of 0.46 ppm based on 28 points (not 25) in 61 minutes.  The bench also scored at 0.46 ppm based on 65 points in 139 minutes - basically a wash.

In the second game, the starters scored at 0.37 ppm and the bench at 0.49 ppm. 

Either game, that's impressive.

John Wooden

goodknight

veragrace

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 16, 2007, 11:25:23 PM
Snikkers did play - she played with the second unit.  Something like 4 points and maybe about that many rebounds as well.  In my opinion, she looked more like a freshman than the rest of the freshman - but that might have been because of higher expectations.  Hope is an extremely deep team.

I think there is an issue with the scoreboard/stats board only handling 15 players, and Hope has 16.

I was more impressed with Snikkers on Saturday than Friday.  She seemed to be more comfortable.  I also like DeKuiper for defense and, of course, Kopke.  She never quits.

AlwaysHope

Quote from: veragrace on November 20, 2007, 11:43:12 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 16, 2007, 11:25:23 PM

I was more impressed with Snikkers on Saturday than Friday.  She seemed to be more comfortable.  I also like DeKuiper for defense and, of course, Kopke.  She never quits.

I could not get to the game, but I did notice that in only 16 minutes Snickers got 10 points on 5 of 8 shooting, led the team with 7 boards and tied for the lead with 3 assists, got one block and had zero turnovers.  Obviously the boxscore doesn't tell you everything, but a very good start statistically.

gottaluvhoops

Hope is going to go undefeated in the regular season.  They are to deep and strong inside!