WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erm Schmigget

Quote from: sac on January 15, 2008, 09:14:25 PM
I've heard some talk away from the boards that while Hope's women's team is very good, the perception is they've played a very weak schedule.

According to massey's ratings for schedule strength,

Olivet #8
Calvin #28
Albion #37
St. Mary's #46
Hope #47
Adrian #70
Tri-State #94
Kalamazoo #171
Alma #200

#47 is much better than what I would have thought listening to others complain about their lack of competition.  In fact its downright impressive that 7 of 9 are in the top 100 and all 9 are in the top half for schedule strength.

Overall the league ranks #10 which I believe is pretty good on a historical basis for the league.  I think 7 of the 9 are in the top half of D3.

Thanks for compiling this list, sac,both here and on the men's board.  I'm wondering how the other teams in the top ten are ranked (both men and women)?
If there is one thing I've learned from this board it's this: There's more than one way to split a hair.

ChicagoHopeNut

Has there been any word in the Holland Sentinel or the Holland gossip underworld since Sunday on the status of Snikkers?
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

oldknight

Quote from: DCHopeNut on January 16, 2008, 09:25:41 AM
Has there been any word in the Holland Sentinel or the Holland gossip underworld since Sunday on the status of Snikkers?

An X-Ray showed no break and a bone scan also did not detect any fracture but some swelling is still present. The plan is to keep her foot in a boot the rest of this week and then reevaluate it. Apparently the doctor isn't sure what's going on either but if the swelling subsides Snikkers might be back on the court next week.

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: oldknight on January 16, 2008, 04:37:36 PM

An X-Ray showed no break and a bone scan also did not detect any fracture but some swelling is still present. The plan is to keep her foot in a boot the rest of this week and then reevaluate it. Apparently the doctor isn't sure what's going on either but if the swelling subsides Snikkers might be back on the court next week.

Wow, that'd be great news for Hope. And well not good news at all for the rest of the MIAA.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

oldknight

The Lady Knights hammer Olivet 93-61, shooting 64.4% from the floor. It appears Calvin's shooting woes ended with a bang (hopefully for the season) and Olivet was the unlucky recipient of the reawakening.

Hope beat Adrian 75-54 breaking away from a 36-25 half time lead. Apparently Hope was never seriously challenged in the second half.

The shocker of the night--Alma clubbing Albion 76-57. 'Ya think the Brits might have been lookin' ahead to Saturday's game against Hope?

WWWRHH

Quote from: DCHopeNut on January 16, 2008, 06:04:29 PM
Quote from: oldknight on January 16, 2008, 04:37:36 PM

Wow, that'd be great news for Hope. And well not good news at all for the rest of the MIAA.

It is good news, but there doesn't appear to be any reason to rush Snikkers back before she is near 100% and pain free.

Even with Carrie out there is little good news for  the rest of MIAA.  Hope is deep at the 5 position.  In the last two games Lange and Knox have combined for 42 pts, 28 rbs, and 7 stls in a total 73 mins played.  Knox, filling in for Snikkers, has accounted for 20 pts, 18 rbs and 3 stls. 

There are few D3 teams with the big player depth of the Dutch.  Most teams have a big drop off in production from the first line post to the second line.  Not many can play three centers with good production with the option of having a fresh rested big player in the game all of the time.

Snikkers is very important to the ulitimate success of the team, but what she really needs to do is get healthy, and play enough games to be sharp for the conference tourney and post-season.

While Lange and Knox are doing an outstanding job, there are important dimensions that Snikkers brings to the game.  She is a good perimeter player and three point shooter.  (I don't recall Knox or Lange and three point shot being used together  :)).  These talents provide Morehouse with options his opponents cannot employ.  If he needs to match up small, Warsen and O'Hare can fill their role.  Lange seems able to guard anyone.

However, if he wants to go big he can play two of the three 5's at the same time.  He did this in the second half at Calvin with Snikkers and Knox, and at Olivet with Lange and Knox when the score was a little tighter than desired and in both the cases the lead widened.  However, if only 2 or the three are available the Dutch can not go big to early in the game due to foul trouble concerns.

It seems that pairing Knox with Snikkers could be a powerful offensive combination.  Even though Knox has the eleventh most playing time, she is #1 in both total rebounds and offensive rebounds.  If Carrie goes outside the other team has to use size to guard against her shot and scramble to come up with a solution to an offensive rebounder.  Things would not be easier on the defensive boards since Snikkers is the best defensive rebounder.

Sorry for the long post and I do not mean to downplay the contribution of the guards.  Hope's trasition offense is dependent on their tough defense.  But this years team has something in common with the 2005 team that last year's team didn't and that is three productive big players.  In '05 it was Ebels, Woods and Lange.  This year's group is a little bigger, at least as productive and, with Snikkers outside shot, has added dimensions that were not available then.

If everyone is healthy at the end of the regular season, I will start to allow myself to become cautiously optimistic.

Flying Dutch Fan

WWWRHH - great post.  I had to laugh a bit at your comment about Hope playing small with Warsen and O'Hare - Stacy is 5'10" and Emily is 6'0".  Most DIII teams would love to have that size for their 5.  Heck Jullie Hendersen could play the 5 for most schools - she is 5'11". 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

oldknight

An update on Snikkers. The boot will stay through next week. The following week Hope has no Wednesday game so the earliest she could see any game time would be Saturday, February 2 against Kazoo. By then she won't have played for over three weeks so I don't imagine she will get many minutes.

hope1

it scould be a  pretty good game saturday vs albion i wish the game was on the radio for i could listen to the game maybe on live stats
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

sac

About halfway through in Albion, and #1 is in a battle, trailing 16-9.   Were down 11-2 to start.

http://www.albion.edu/sports/stats/xlive.htm

The livestats board is stuck now, but the Hope women were down 12 to Albion, have now come back to make it 25-20 Albion.  Still stuck though.

Albion 37 Hope 24 at the half.

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: sac on January 19, 2008, 03:31:22 PM
About halfway through in Albion, and #1 is in a battle, trailing 16-9.   Were down 11-2 to start.

http://www.albion.edu/sports/stats/xlive.htm

The livestats board is stuck now, but the Hope women were down 12 to Albion, have now come back to make it 25-20 Albion.  Still stuck though.

Albion 37 Hope 24 at the half.

Wow. I expected a tough game but didn't foresee Hope being down 13 at the half! Trouble may be looming!

sac

Hope starts the second half on a 12-2 run, including 12 straight.

Albion 39 Hope 36  15 min to go.

All tied 45-45  9 to go

NW Hope Fan

Heck of a turn around this half! Hope they can keep the mo.
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

sac

looks like the livestats are stuck again.  >:(

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: sac on January 19, 2008, 04:51:18 PM
looks like the livestats are stuck again.  >:(

I know! The game is probably over at this point. Real close at least.