FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cush

Chicago is looking for a league but i'd guess they end up in the MIAA. Strange that their deal with the SAA was very short. Well, not really for chicago but i'm a little surprised Wash U and the SAA didn't stick with each other since driving to st louis isn't that bad for saa school's. After these moves, the SAA will have 7 football teams so maybe the could be a home for 3 scac  school's and 1 going to the ASC for football only. Yet, i'm not sure if the SAA told wash u and chicago to leave or those school's left on their own...i.e. maybe the SAA doesn't want to fly and/or help out the scac school's. At the very least, SAA school's will need to find 4 non conference games per year now, so that might help SCAC school's fill up their schedule.

I guess the other thing is the SAA might be on the prowl for some more members closer to their geographic base since they only have 8 with 7 playing football. Berea college, who doesn't play football,  is moving to d3  this year + looking for a league and would be a good fit for the SAA to get to 9. I'm sure there is some school in the southeast that plays football  who could bring the SAA up to 10 members with 8 football to help fill out the schedule.

awadelewis

I always thought Berea would be a good fit for the SAA (and the "old" SCAC and CAC).   

But does the SAA really need to do anything?   The addition of football programs at Berry and Hendrix brought the SAA up to seven football playing schools without adding WashU and Chicago into the mix.    Isn't seven enough to give the conference an automatic bid into the playoffs?

jknezek

Quote from: awadelewis on June 14, 2015, 07:29:52 PM
I always thought Berea would be a good fit for the SAA (and the "old" SCAC and CAC).   

But does the SAA really need to do anything?   The addition of football programs at Berry and Hendrix brought the SAA up to seven football playing schools without adding WashU and Chicago into the mix.    Isn't seven enough to give the conference an automatic bid into the playoffs?

It is. It's just miserable to fill your open dates. Most conferences at 8 or 9 conference games don't need to be looking for an OOC game as late in the year as the SAA teams do. So it gets really hard to find an opponent when almost everyone else is in conference swing.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 12, 2015, 10:15:51 PM
The Chicago release talks about WashU going to the CCIW (why??) but nothing else.

Better football (at least by perception), less travel (everything is located between St. Louis and Chicago...with a biannual trip to Carthage thrown in), and the CCIW really needed a 10th team to even their numbers out with Carroll rejoining the league.  That third piece- the opportunity- is probably most critical.  I don't think it's all that different from DePauw's departure from the SCAC a few years ago.  It's probably something they would have done sooner, but never had the right opportunity (or REALLY didn't want to have to go back to the HCAC).  As soon as Earlham vacated their spot in the NCAC, it was almost too obvious a move for DePauw not to make.  Similarly, if the CCIW is soliciting a 10th team, WashU would have been foolish not to jump all over it.  That's as rock solid a league as there is, as opposed to the conferences in the south region which have been unsettled for a number of years now.  So Washington has immediately gained the CCIW's reputation, eliminated significant travel costs, and (most importantly) found stability for their football program.  No more conference shuffling, no more flirting with independent schedules...they're all set now.  Great move for the Bears. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ron Boerger

No, I meant why does the Chicago release talk about WashU  ;)

wally_wabash

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 15, 2015, 01:07:03 PM
No, I meant why does the Chicago release talk about WashU  ;)

Yeah, you got me there.  I have no idea unless Washington's leaving somehow precipitated Chicago's leaving as well(although I don't know why...it's not like they would have been travel partners for football so the thing isn't financially feasible without each other).  Mostly I would guess that Chicago and Washington's movements have been related enough for long enough that it's kind of a habit- it might take these guys (meaning the UAA Four) a minute to settle in to the reality that they aren't really intertwined anymore. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

cush

The UChicago release might be talking about WashU football finding a home cause Uchicago folks are probably wonder why they aren't joining the CCIW instead of WashU. Of course, the reason is probably UC also has a home that doesn't fit WashU.

TLU02SA

Quote from: cush on June 12, 2015, 10:06:04 PM
Maybe the band can get back together again ;D That would be with UChicago and WashU leaving the SAA, some type of schedule deal might work out between the SAA and SCAC. Also wonder if berea college might join the SAA but they don't' have football so it won't matter if that happens.

As a TLU alum, it would be exciting to have some SAA teams on TLU's schedule.  Unfortunately, I don't see a SAA/SCAC scheduling deal.  I would guess that there is animosity between the old SCAC athletic departments but I think cush hit the nail on the head with his second post re travel.  Schools in both the SAA and SCAC probably do not want to commit to the travel such a schedule would impose.  I was of the impression that part of the reason the SAA was started was to create a more geographically limited conference.  I suspect that TLU does not want to commit to make 3 - 4 600 - 1,000+ mile road trips each year to the SAA schools.

Ron Boerger

SCAC Facebook post earlier today:

Make sure you're following @SCAC_sports on Instagram for a big announcement tomorrow! ‪#‎SCACPride‬ ‪#‎SCAC‬

Here's hoping ...

Ron Boerger

Nope.   This is what it was:

The 2015-16 academic year will mark the 25th year of competition in the #SCAC! 18 institutions have come through the conference, with eight remaining as members today. We are kicking off the year long celebration with a new 25th Anniversary logo!

wally_wabash

That was it?  On a scale of 1 to The Matrix Reloaded, how big of a disappointment was this "announcement"?

cush

Probably about time the SCAC moves their HQ from Atlanta to Dallas. I think the SAA should pick up 2 Scac school's for a football only membership which would give them 8 conference games. 

crufootball

Quote from: cush on July 02, 2015, 10:50:30 AM
Probably about time the SCAC moves their HQ from Atlanta to Dallas. I think the SAA should pick up 2 Scac school's for a football only membership which would give them 8 conference games.

If the SAA does pick up 2 football schools from the SCAC is their a point for the SCAC to continue to support football since then they would have 2 members?

SJSUPhil

Quote from: crufootball on July 02, 2015, 12:43:35 PM
Quote from: cush on July 02, 2015, 10:50:30 AM

If the SAA does pick up 2 football schools from the SCAC is their a point for the SCAC to continue to support football since then they would have 2 members?

I agree with your HQ idea. But it doesn't have to be Dallas, anywhere in Texas will do.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: crufootball on July 02, 2015, 12:43:35 PM

There's probably enough bad blood between the two conferences already to keep the SAA from trying to poach two football teams from the SCAC, but, no, if there were only two football schools left the conference would not sponsor it as a sport.   Similar situation when the conferences split - there were not enough schools offering lacrosse so it was discontinued as a conference sport.    Men's LaX is coming back next year and the release says the conference's minimum standard for offering a championship is four teams.   http://scacsports.com/sports/mlax/mlax_is_back