MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomt4525

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 14, 2018, 07:57:27 PM
Stevens Point is shut out on 2018 Commitments as of now, there should be quite a few commitments happening in the next few weeks.

Why do you say that?

Because...the few weeks after the season is over is normally when most commitments happen.  Also, scholarship offers aren't normally offered after the seasons are over except for the rare decommitments and release from letters of intent.  So, many kids that are waiting on scholarship opportunities know their options by this point and decide on their futures.

Greek Tragedy

It seems to be a pattern every season that Point's class is always announced late or the recruits themselves don't announce anything. Interesting that seems to happen to just Point, or maybe I just notice it more because I'm a Point fan!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hindsight2020

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 14, 2018, 08:43:23 PM
It seems to be a pattern every season that Point's class is always announced late or the recruits themselves don't announce anything. Interesting that seems to happen to just Point, or maybe I just notice it more because I'm a Point fan!

I also feel like the end of the basketball season just gets hectic for both the college coaches and the high school players. High school players are wrapped up in their playoffs and are truthfully just trying to play as well as they can and enjoy the last few games of their high school careers. Then college coaches are wrapped up in their conference tourneys and NCAA tourneys. Recruiting may take a back seat during that time. And now when both sides have time too cool off from the season, recruiting heats up again.

tomt4525

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 14, 2018, 08:43:23 PM

I don't know why you would say the recruit doesn't announce anything.  As far as I have been following the WIAC recruits, I've always found out Points' recruits ahead of the upcoming season.  Same goes for the other schools in the conference.  The recruits announce their intentions or have a website or school do it for them.

In the case for Point, they have recruited players that are on the cusp of D2 offers if not having D2 offers.  Those kids will wait it out longer to weigh all their options.  Therefore, Points' recruiting class has been known later than most other classes.

Point has a humongous senior class next season, Semling has said that they want to bring in 4-5 of the best freshman they can get along with a couple transfers to offset that class.  If this class isn't a big one, it will be hard to not take a big step downward when you're relying on many kids that would be in the first year in the program.

gbpuckfan

St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bulk19

Former UWSP Pointer/Wisconsin Badger coach Dick Bennett on what it's like come tournament time watching, or not watching, son Tony and his top-seeded Virginia Cavaliers  ;) :

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/local/college/when-it-comes-to-the-ncaa-tournament-the-watching-is/article_14baf928-0cf7-5b5f-9a0e-350f0b42561f.html

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

frodotwo

Greek Tragedy

Thanks! Not sure what I did, but I'm excited for the WIAC and the Titans.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Nebraska Wesleyan topped Springfield in OT.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

palum

This is a coulda shoulda woulda, but what if Platteville would have beaten Neb Wes we could have an all WIAC final. I know it's  a stretch but that would have been nice.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: palum on March 16, 2018, 11:42:52 PM
This is a coulda shoulda woulda, but what if Platteville would have beaten Neb Wes we could have an all WIAC final. I know it's  a stretch but that would have been nice.

We can dream, but not sure that would have happened. NWU was much more equipped to play Whitman's style. I don't know if Platteville would've been able to keep up. NWU has a little harder time playing the slow-down defensive approach, shown by their last second win over the Pioneers and their OT win over Springfield. I think Oshkosh has a real chance with their size and defense. The can also put up some points.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

SUMMIT!!!!!

I'm curious... the WIAC has been the dominant DIII conference over the past 35 years and I salute this amazing accomplishment. The D3hoops headline says that Oshkosh is the sixth WIAC team to play in the title game. By my humble count, heading into tonight's game, a WIAC school has won it all 12 times and was runner-up once.  Platteville, Whitewater and Steven's Point have all won four titles, and Eau Claire had  a second-place finish. That's four plus Oshkosh tonight for five. Who is the 6th that I am missing?
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.