MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Yikes, it's comeback time for Greenville   down double digits in 1st half...

;D ;D ;D Didnt take long... back to tied with 8 minutes left in half.. Grady starts to find the range...

Thriller in Gville      129-129   1:10 left

GU misses 5 of 6 fts in last minute, but Westmin can't hit the big hoop     132-131 GU win....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Fontbonne dominates Mac, by more than I expected...  nice point distribution for Fontbonne.. 6 in double figures...Caden Clark doesn't hit it, but contributes 7 assists.... Mac's Logan Doherty goes for a double-double 20 points, 14 boards...

Eureka beats BC by 10... GREAT to see Dehm and Daniels back... Dehm goes for the minimal double-double 10 pts, 10 boards...Juergens finishes with 25 on a tough shooting night, Bennington goes for 23 points, 8 boards...BC's box score doesn't show much, 29% on 37 attempts from 3s doesn't say much for shot selection..

GU beats Westmin by 1... Mitch almost did it again.....  Where was Greenville's Chris Jackson?  Huge numbers for Westmin's Landon Harrison 31 pts, 9 rebounds, Jaxon Althaus 36 points 8 rebounds 5 assists, Ethan Thompson 30 points 8 assists...   7 in double figures for Greenville

Does this mean that Westmin is a viable candidate for the 4th conference tourney spot?

Was watching all 3 games at the same time...great fun... tough to figure out who many of the individual players were..

Streaming critiques... Mac never showed the scoreboard to the right... the one that did come on the screen was partially blocked by basket supports...Viewer Never knew the correct score
Greenvilles running score at the bottom of the screen stopped with live stats with about 7 and a half minutes left... fortunately the gym scoreboard was usually visible, as well as a different running score on top of the screen...
Blackburn also had no running score... the scoreboard at the left end of the screen was usually visible, but at an angle that was tough to read....

Seriously, video volunteers should be cued in to show the scoreboard on a regular basis...

hopefan

Spalding comes over to Webster tonight..... Spalding has been getting beat up on the boards in nonconference games... Webster should take advantage around the basket with Etienne and Tankins... don't turn it into a 3 point shooting contest... If Webster plays smart, I think they win double digits.....

GU1999

December 5, 2019

Spaulding @ Webster - Webster - 9.5

I agree with Hope that this one will be right on the line of a double digit win for the Gorlocks.  WU has too many weapons.  Hopeful to see an inspired shootout between Josh Johnson and Marcus Montgomery. Neither has played to their potential season to date, but I do expect them both to again vie for all-conf, if not first team all-conf honors.  Both are shooting below 40% from the field.  Montgomery, who struggles to find ways to contribute in the non-scoring traditional statistical categories, needs to shoot better than that to have a shot at first team.  All shooting percentages will soar in the SLIAC because everyone gets two games with GU and in general the individual and team defense will be less intense than these teams faced in the non-con.   Anyway, I expect this to be a WU win which will lead into a nice early challange game between GU and WU in Greenville on Saturday.

hopefan

Webster wins by 12... not a very pretty game though....

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on December 05, 2019, 10:31:37 PM
Webster wins by 12... not a very pretty game though....

I think that's all that needs to be said.

hopefan

Well... there could be a big problem for the Gorlocks... Josh Johnson jammed his shoulder in the last minute of the game last night, on what some would call a great hustle play, but others might say was as dumb a way to get hurt as there is... either is possible with Josh ..
With 1 minute left in the game, Johnson makes two free throws to extend Webster's lead to 12.... Spalding takes it out, Webster starts back on defense, Spalding does the typical roll the ball in to preserve time, and Johnson does an abrupt about face and dives for the ball... good news is he does get the steal... bad news is he injures his shoulder....

Word on the street... it doesn't look good

without Johnson, I just don't think Webster can get it done....

GU1999

This is terrible.  Regardless if it was the smartest play given the game situation, I hate it that a kid gets hurt making a hustle play.  I really like JJohnson's game and if he has to miss Saturday, it will be a downer.  If he does miss, I suspect that Etienne and Tankings will find a way to make it very interesting.  Last year Etienne went for 40 and Tankins had a triple double.  Johnson almost did too FWIW.  I hope to see #2 in the game Saturday.

hopefan

Johnson to be out 3-5 weeks... he'll miss at least 2 SLIAC games, possibly more if he isn't ready beginning of January.... This could really put an entirely new face on the 3-4 spots in the conference race....Wynn Brown, Blake Ferrell, Jordan Clay roles will expand for the Gorlocks

hopefan

No point spreads and o/u yet from GU... what will I tell vegas???? ;D ;D ;D

So five games today, a full SLIAC slate...

Here is how I see them  (note on day 1 I went 5 for 5)... a miracle in the SLIAC selections!!!

Webster at Greenville... with or without Josh Johnson, tough call.. I'm going with the upset... Webster... I just feel Aaron Hopp might set a record for assists

Blackburn at Fontbonne... home team.... Fontbonne

Iowa Wesleyan at Westmin... Westmin showed so much heart in 1 point loss to Greenville.... Westmin

Eureka at Prin.... as much as I admire Prin, no contest, Eureka

Spalding at Mac.... Spalding looked horrible at Webster... I'll go with Mac in an upset....

I could miss 3 of 5 easily with these, or look like a certifiable SLIAC genius if my upsets come through...

y_jack_lok

Right or wrong on the predictions, you are still a genius

hopefan

My upsets came so close.... Webster has huge comeback, Sonti Grady beats them in the last minute.... Fontbonne also has a huge comeback but succumbs in OT.... Eureka easy,  Westmin pulls away in 2nd half, and MacMurray wins easy.... main question, can Spalding beat Prin or Iowa Wesleyan... if not, they could have trouble finding a win....

To remind.. I pick an all conference team using performance in conference games only... I rate any regular's performance 1-5 for each game...Starting with this week's games....

hopefan

Hopefan Player of the week.......            (I often wonder if the players read this site and put any credence to my selection... ;D ;D)

2 players had stats well beyond anyone else for the two conference games of the week
     Eureka's Dakota Bennington had 54 points on 60% shooting, 13 rebs, 5 assts, and 5 steals in high scoring wins over BC and Prin
     Westminster's  Landon Harrison had 56 points on 66% shooting, 14 rebs, 3 assts, 3 steals in a 1 point loss to GU, and a win over Iowa Wesleyan

Surprisingly, neither gets Player of the Week this week

Hopefan's Player of the Week goes to Greenville's Sonti Grady... His numbers don't match Bennington's or Harrison's  (Grady at 45 points, 3 rbs, 6 assts, 1 steal) but in Greenville's two thrilling 1 point wins. Grady had the winning hoops in the last minute of each game... vs Westminster, his 2 point basket broke a tie in the last minute, and Greenville held on to win by one after a series of missed free throws by both teams... vs Webster, GU down by 3 with 50 seconds, Grady hits a 3 to tie, then with 16 seconds, GU down by 2, Grady hits another 3 to put GU up by one, the game winner when Webster fails to score...System or no, two good games and great play in the clutch earns Grady the Award...

I'm going to split the newcomer of the week into 2 sections now that conference has started.. one for transfer, one for frosh

Transfer of the week obviously goes to Westminster's Landon Harrison  56 points on 66% shooting, 14 rebs, 3 assts, 3 steals

Frosh of the Week was also a runaway... Despite Spalding's dismal performance, Spalding frosh Jaiquan Edwards had two very good games....10 points and 8 rebs vs Webster, 20 points and 11 rebs vs MacMurray... His performance is about the only thing that might bring a smile to Coach Grey's face after the team's substandard play in the first week of conference games....

hopefan

Here is an interesting tidbit...

I listed 80 players who were significantly active in both conference games this week (as a part of my All Conference spread sheet)... yes, I included Josh Johnson who missed the 2nd game due to injury....

I then grouped them into 4 groups... returning players from previous, Transfers, Freshmen, and "system" players-guys that had been JV last year or had hardly played at all on the varsity level...

How would you think that distribution would break down?

Here it is:
Returning players.... 50.... that includes two who had played in prior years but not last year due to injury or personal, and 1 who transferred from one conf school to another

Transfers.....15.... Most from JCs, though I believe at least two from NAIA... unfortunately most roster bios don't tell us... Greenville and Westminster lead the way, both with 5... and it was obvious they needed ready to go transfers as they both suffered significant graduation and "other" player losses...

Freshmen....10....Spalding and Webster showing 3 each

"System".... 5...  I have BCs Randy Love, Eureka's Jaedon Banks and J'Len Crawford, GUs Kameron Vinsel, and Mac's Camron Jamison in this group.. special recognition for persevering and raising their game to a level where they are contributing on the varsity level!!!!

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!