FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderdog

Quote from: jaybird44 on October 16, 2018, 01:14:21 AM

... I then took on the challenge of running/walking 24 hours to raise awareness and research funds in the battle against Rett Syndrome.  Covered 61.5 miles , but more importantly got a lot of media attention and university involvement for a little-known but devastating medical condition.  That was the icing to an already very satisfying weekend cake.

https://www.rettsyndrome.org/RettGetsRocked

:o :o :o Seriously impressive jaybird44. Kudos to you for taking on this demanding challenge. And congrats to your Bears for their big win over Wheaton.

thunderdog

jaybird44,

Do you think WashU might be able to spare a few dollar$ from their itty bitty endowment for the goal of offering a better/more reliable internet stream of their football games?  ???

jaybird44

Hello Thunderdog!

Thank you for the kind words regarding my 24-hour magical awareness/fundraiser for Rett Syndrome.  Very much appreciate them!

Regarding our glitch in last Saturday's Wheaton/WashU broadcast...you caught us at the rarely wrong time.  Up until last Saturday, we had a long run of broadcasts in which technical difficulties were few and far between.  We have had a long and very successful relationship with Stretch Internet--our Internet provider since the launch of our WashU Sports Network back in 2009.  Stretch's customer service has been exemplary, in both pre-event setup and troubleshooting during the broadcasts.  Not sure what caused the difficulties last Saturday, other than a computer crash...but they have been the extreme exceptions rather than the rule.

Assistant Athletic Director Chris Mitchell was right on the case, rebuilding the crash and restoring order within five minutes.  He is the best in the sports information business, without a doubt.  Not easy to do, since he had to leave his post in the first floor of the press box, and climb up the stairs to the second floor box where my producer and I are located.

With that said, I apologize for the crash.  We strive to make each viewer's visit an entertaining one, free from annoying tech difficulties.  Sometimes we are at the mercy of the vagaries of technology.  We will continue to monitor our setup this weekend to try and prevent the occurrence of the same frustration this Saturday night...and Stretch and Chris will jump on any problems very quickly.

Thanks for choosing our WashU Sports Network broadcast!

USee

My internet connection to the feed was buffering/paused every minute or so for a majority of the game. I found it weird because I watched the Carthage /WashU game with no issues. Thanks for the explanation

79jaybird

don't get me started on phone lines, connections,  technological glitches. etc.   :P  Oh the many things we had to endure at Elmhurst pioneering games on the air.   ;D

I think the IWU/Wash U game is a toss up and IMO a turnover or miscue in the 4th quarter is going to be the difference maker. Both teams are so evenly matched it is shaping up to be a thriller.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

WUPHF

I have been to my share of Washington University football games, but I am not a football guy.  Yet, I am set to attend my third game this season.  It is still weird to see my team talked about as a member of the CCIW.

Even weirder to see so many references to the program on the latest D3football.com blog.

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2018/10/19/quick-hits-for-the-birds/

iwu70

Most of these guys, these commentators, have Wash U winning by a FG.  No doubt, tough to win in St. Louis, just as tough for teams to win at Tucci at Wilder Field.  We'll see if the TITANS can put a complete game together, on both sides of the ball, and play well at Francis Field.  I had no idea the Olympics were once held at that field.  Interesting history.  Just like Wilder Field.  Should be a great game.

Key for IWU is to again have a decent running game to match Bauer and his many receivers on offense.  And, need a few TOs, picks to blunt the very good Wash U passing attack.  Seems statistically, the teams are very closely matched.  IWU will have to up their game to get a win down south.

IWU'70

USee

The stats from the Wheaton WashU game have been a bit exaggeratedly. While the headline 18 rushes for -3 yds rushing makes a sexy tag line, that includes 10 sacks and the negative yds charged as runs. The Thunder did gain 63 yds rushing on just 18 called runs. One of their problems was getting away from the run game in a one score game. I believe IWU can run it tomorrow. I actually expect a pretty high scoring game. Wouldn't  surprise me to se a FG either way win it.

Kovo

Quote from: WUPHF on October 19, 2018, 04:50:34 PM
I have been to my share of Washington University football games, but I am not a football guy.  Yet, I am set to attend my third game this season.  It is still weird to see my team talked about as a member of the CCIW.

Even weirder to see so many references to the program on the latest D3football.com blog.

Yes.  Shouldn't it be the CCIWM? ??? ??? ???

AndOne

I have been to my share of Washington University football games, but I am not a football guy.  Yet, I am set to attend my third game this season.  It is still weird to see my team talked about as a member of the CCIW?

As much as we regular CCIW posters in both football and basketball delight in directing barbs both at each other, and at each other's teams, one thing I think we would all agree on is that we have quite a few very knowledgeable posters, none of which are afraid to post their analysis and/or opinions. If your team is in the CCIW, its gonna get talked about.
The same would be true for  WashU if it was also a CCIW member for basketball.  8-)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Kovo on October 19, 2018, 07:26:19 PM

Yes.  Shouldn't be the CCIWM? ??? ??? ???

No, because if associate members were given enough weight for the league to change its initials, it would've become the CCIWI four years ago when Dubuque joined as an associate member in the sports of men's lacrosse and women's lacrosse.

(The bizarre aspect of associate memberships in this league is that, starting this spring, the CCIW will have a women's lacrosse program here in the city -- and it won't be North Park's. The University of Chicago has joined as an associate member for women's lacrosse, and will start CCIW play in the spring of this school year. NPU doesn't offer women's lacrosse, nor will it anytime soon.)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on October 19, 2018, 07:56:47 PM
I have been to my share of Washington University football games, but I am not a football guy.  Yet, I am set to attend my third game this season.  It is still weird to see my team talked about as a member of the CCIW?

As much as we regular CCIW posters in both football and basketball delight in directing barbs both at each other, and at each other's teams, one thing I think we would all agree on is that we have quite a few very knowledgeable posters, none of which are afraid to post their analysis and/or opinions. If your team is in the CCIW, its gonna get talked about.
The same would be true for  WashU if it was also a CCIW member for basketball.  8-)

We already talk about Wash U men's basketball quite a bit in passing on CCIW Chat. It's a program that annually plays Illinois Wesleyan and has regularly played Augustana and Wheaton throughout this decade, and it's too important a force every season in the Central Region rankings to ignore.

The fact that Wash U did such a great job of recruiting Chicagoland under Mark Edwards, and likely will under Pat Juckem as well, draws a certain amount of CCIW Chat conversation, too.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

I am a little surprised by those misreads, but I guess I could have just said that it is still weird that Washington University is playing in the CCiW.

I mean, you guys know I have been hanging out in the CCIW threads for a long time. Almost 10 years now.

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 19, 2018, 08:36:04 PM
Quote from: Kovo on October 19, 2018, 07:26:19 PM

Yes.  Shouldn't be the CCIWM? ??? ??? ???

No, because if associate members were given enough weight for the league to change its initials, it would've become the CCIWI four years ago when Dubuque joined as an associate member in the sports of men's lacrosse and women's lacrosse.

(The bizarre aspect of associate memberships in this league is that, starting this spring, the CCIW will have a women's lacrosse program here in the city -- and it won't be North Park's. The University of Chicago has joined as an associate member for women's lacrosse, and will start CCIW play in the spring of this school year. NPU doesn't offer women's lacrosse, nor will it anytime soon.)

Don't forget that Rose-Hulman was an associate member for swimming for a spell starting around 2010.

Gregory Sager

From 2008 until last year, actually. But, yeah, good point. Thanks for reminding me.

The HCAC has added men's and women's swimming & diving as a sponsored sport, which is why RHIT rescinded its associate membership in the CCIW in those sports.