MBB: Little East

Started by diiih00ps, January 25, 2005, 12:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

It's fun to watch. You can tell some of these guys are having a lot of fun. Juwan Henry has been chattering the whole game with a smile on his face.

Gregory Sager

That's Juwan for you. He never stops talking on the floor -- to his teammates, his opponents, the refs, everybody -- and he always has fun doing what he loves. We're sure going to miss him at North Park.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

wcsu91

Just curious if anyone has heard who will be the permanent head coach to re-place Bob Campbell at Western CT?

warriorcat

Quote from: wcsu91 on March 29, 2017, 02:15:12 PM
Just curious if anyone has heard who will be the permanent head coach to re-place Bob Campbell at Western CT?

Rumor has it that they are not going to fill the position until the summer

AllStar

Quote from: warriorcat on April 17, 2017, 01:05:45 PM

Wow

wcsu91

Quote from: AllStar on April 17, 2017, 09:36:56 PM
Quote from: warriorcat on April 17, 2017, 01:05:45 PM

Wow

That is crazy. Thank you for the info!!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 04, 2017, 02:40:49 PM
Somebody new to talk about!
http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2017/05/castleton-joining-little-east

Every year Plattsburgh State scrimmages Castleton about 2 weeks before the season begins. Now they may become one of our regular season non-conference games.

Castleton Coach Paul Culpo is a classy guy. Hopefully they will make the transition of moving up to a stronger conference without the customary time often spent at the bottom of the standings. Glad to see this happen.

wcsu91

Anyone have any news on who the head coach will be at Western this fall?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

They have deferred it to next season... current interim will remain as interim for the coming season. Budget challenges forced the department to not hire a new coach officially.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

wcsu91

Thank you for the info. Dave! Good ole CT Budget constraints.

amh63

Not to get into an area that I do not know Little about....but why not...it has not stopped me before :).
In the Nescac and other private schools, the athletic funding in many areas like facilities, special travel trips, etc. come from private donations...alums is an example and can be housing as well as setting up Endownments.  Endownments add to the budgets of the athletic dept. budgets.  I would believe that public colleges/ universities get funding from private/ alum scources above the state allocations.
In the case of WCSU, to put off the acquiring of a Head Coarch due to " budget limits" is puzzling.  Hope the search efforts is not restricted too!  If an assistant coach is made an interim HC, will there be an interim assistant coach?
In the Nescac, there has been a slew of new HCs in a number of sports due to retirements, HCs moving elsewhere, etc.  Same  goes wrt assistant coaches in a number of sports in a number of schools.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

amh63 - this might give you a sense of what is going on at WCSU: http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Budget-cuts-force-WCSU-to-suspend-programs-6258983.php

Remember with state schools, their budgets are approved basically at the gubernatorial and state house level (though, not in tremendous detail). While boosters are certainly a nice thing, this isn't DI and boosters don't tend to be popular at the state schools. I certainly know of a few, but there are very far between.

This coach was interim last year... the status quo isn't actually changing. The problem is, they can't get anything approved (nor can the rest of the college) unless a budget for the entire state is basically approved. Even if that happens, this is pretty late in the process, especially for a state college where things run far slower due to red tape. WCSU basically decided it is better to push off to next year this item so they don't miss a beat with the upcoming season.

To say things are tough would be an understatement ... it appears.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

Thanks Dave for your thoughts!  Today's WSJ noted that there were a number of States including Connecticut that are late with their budgets.  Connecticut has many  fiscal woes including Hartford that is almost bankrupt!  Causes include  high taxes and residents leaving the state.  A number of old friends have left the state to retire elsewhere in recent years

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This is kind of ironic... the day I finally decided I was done working as a TV news production at my local ABC affiliate, was the final day of the General Assembly... and as the hours were counting down, a budget had not even remotely been discussed! The reason I finally had enough had nothing to do with the budget or it being sine die... but my Executive Producer was in the booth to help in case the budget did get passed to save time telling me to get it on the air... my anchor (fill-in) could not have been worse that day. Botched every single script, apologized in the first break, and then continued to botch things. I was under enough pressure (which I usually loved and handled) with the final day and a potential last minute budget passage... that her efforts to royally screw my show was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Just a story to share... LOL