MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Guess this board is awake again as March Madness is finished and Amherst selects a Mascot.
A number of comments wrt recent posts.
First...on the new " offical" Mascot for Amherst.  The Mascot topic in general has been discussed a bit on the football board...in general at many schools and in particular at Amherst. It must be noted that "Lord Jeff" was always an unofficial "Mascot"/label.  There was once another name given to a women team and attached to a women singing group.
The Mascot name was announced on the Amherst website in a short video recently and can be found on the athletic website.  Also the use of the name was given in a story of a recent baseball team win.
It should be noted that over 9000 votes were casted including over 7000 alums and 1300 plus students.  The final choice was picked by over 4000 voters from five finalists.  As I posted on the football board, LJs, Jeffs, etc. were NOT allowed in the selection.  Hamsters was NOT a finalists.  Other interesting info on the choice etc on the website.
It is interesting in the the basketball Final four coverage in D3 and D1 that mascots were very minor parts in the commentaries.
Second, the discussion of PGs for next season is excellent, given how the D1 pundits on Final 4 coverage dwelled on that position heavily. 
However, I feel that the possible Amherst PGs for nest year must await the start of practice nest season.  There are several present players on the team that are well ahead of any new players listed.
Middhoops...your suggestion of a fight song :). Plus K

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Many of us know the Hamsters wasn't a finalist (including Ryan), but I doubt that will stop people from talking about it. Heck, had a women's player on Hoopsville who talked about Hamsters even though they had been eliminated.

Personally, I'm going with Lord Mammoths.

And honestly, the mascot makes no freakin sense to me.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

Apparently the connection to Amherst is that the most famous historical artifact on the Amherst campus is a full mammoth skeleton.  So I guess if Williams ever decides to eliminate Ephs (please no) they can be known as "the Williams Four Founding Documents." 

magicman

nescac1

Thanks for the reply about Jayde Dawson. Didn't know about the year at D1 FDU.

Plus K.

Old Guy

Quote from: middhoops on April 03, 2017, 08:33:13 PM
Could take a while for the new name to fully sink in on this board.
"Former LJs" rolls off the tongue a bit easier.

Wooly Bully (Mammoth)?

Uno, dos, one, two, tres, quatro
Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw
Had two big horns and a wooly jaw
Wooly bully, wooly bully
Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully
Hatty told Matty, let's don't take no chance
Let's not be l-seven, come and learn to dance
Wooly bully, wooly bully........

Excellent connection, Midd Hoops. Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs: Middlebury Winter Carnival 1965, me and Sue Hastings, "Hey there, li'l Red Riding Hood, You sure are looking' good." Ah, Nostalgia.

If any Old Guy spawn were at Amherst, they would be leading the singing of "Wooly Bully" at future hoop tilts. It's so catchy! It's a natural. I am quite confident Amherst students are clever enough to insert appropriate lyrics. I actually envy them this opportunity. Ten years from now (five maybe, or two) we'll be hearing raucous choruses of Wooly Bully when the former Jeffs are dominating on the court. I think they have chosen a mascot and "fight song" to challenge the quirkiness of Ephs and their Purple Cow.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Sam+the+Sham+%26+the+Pharaohs+Wooly+Bully&&view=detail&mid=D33B41C9461F659D0AA3D33B41C9461F659D0AA3&FORM=VRDGAR

jayhawk

another guard for Amherst
Prepped at New Hampton High
While a student and player at Potomac School had some nice offers including Navy

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/new-hamptons-robinson-makes-pick

Gregory Sager

Quote from: middhoops on April 03, 2017, 08:33:13 PM
Could take a while for the new name to fully sink in on this board.
"Former LJs" rolls off the tongue a bit easier.

Wooly Bully (Mammoth)?

Uno, dos, one, two, tres, quatro
Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw
Had two big horns and a wooly jaw

I once had a roommate who thought that this line from "Wooly Bully" was "a two-bit whore and a wounded dog."
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jayhawk

oops see the basketball junkies here already noted Amherst recruit

Old Guy

Here's a piece from the local paper on Middlebury's all-league point guard Jake Brown and his uncle, Middlebury basketball coach and NESCAC Coach of the Year Jeff Brown:
http://www.addisonindependent.com/201703karl-lindholm-hoop-excellence-keeping-it-family

The best thing about doing pieces like these is the interviewing, all you learn and discuss that never gets into the article. Jake talked about the opportunities basketball has afforded him beyond his play for the Panthers. For example, last summer, he played on a team of D3 players that toured Europe (Global Sports Academy), so he became close friends with his NESCAC rivals Tom Pelleschi (Tufts) and Dan Aronowitz (Williams)also on the touring team.

He told a funny story about the fans in Brussels who told him they had had a nice conversation with the team's "bus driver." This confused Jake until he realized they were talking about Pelleschi, assuming from his mature appearance that he couldn't have been a college boy.

Jake and Aronowtz have become fast friends, visiting one another this past year on weekends at one another's campuses. Last fall, Jake drove down to Williamstown and  he climbed into a car with "Ron" and Cole Teal and drove the dozen or so hours to Columbus OH, Aronowitz's home, to watch Ohio State take on Penn State in football in a match-up of their respective home states. Then, they drove back home after Jake's PA State team down the Buckeyes - road trip.

In the summers, Jake has worked at the Hill School at the Alexander Basketball Academy which is a camp and clinic for international players hoping to play in the U.S.. Next year, he hopes to participate in the Victory Scholar Program in Ireland which will allow him to earn a masters from an Irish university while also continuing to play basketball. Midd player Peter Lynch '13 participated in this program.

NESCAC hoop!

magicman

Old Guy,

Good article on the Browns. Two classy individuals. Thanks for sharing. Plus K.

jayhawk

Amherst recruit Grant Robinson appears to be a complete player whose on ball defense stands out as much as his point guard offense skils
His defensive prowess is praised :http://www.thehoopscolumn.com/2016/08/05/rising-senior-point-guards-that-lock-in-on-defense/

Lot of praise on New England Recruiting Report:
Mike Yagmin‏ @MikeYagmiNERR

Mike Yagmin Retweeted Nick Whitmore
There should be an arrest warrant out for @AmherstMBball coach Hixon & staff. New Hampton's 6'3" PG/Wing Grant Robinson is an absolute STEAL

Nice that point guard Garrett Day and  forward Griffin Gerwig look to be very good.  Good for Amherst supporters to look forward to

grabtherim

Quote from: Old Guy on April 05, 2017, 12:23:16 AM
Here's a piece from the local paper on Middlebury's all-league point guard Jake Brown and his uncle, Middlebury basketball coach and NESCAC Coach of the Year Jeff Brown:
http://www.addisonindependent.com/201703karl-lindholm-hoop-excellence-keeping-it-family

The best thing about doing pieces like these is the interviewing, all you learn and discuss that never gets into the article. Jake talked about the opportunities basketball has afforded him beyond his play for the Panthers. For example, last summer, he played on a team of D3 players that toured Europe (Global Sports Academy), so he became close friends with his NESCAC rivals Tom Pelleschi (Tufts) and Dan Aronowitz (Williams)also on the touring team.

He told a funny story about the fans in Brussels who told him they had had a nice conversation with the team's "bus driver." This confused Jake until he realized they were talking about Pelleschi, assuming from his mature appearance that he couldn't have been a college boy.

Jake and Aronowtz have become fast friends, visiting one another this past year on weekends at one another's campuses. Last fall, Jake drove down to Williamstown and  he climbed into a car with "Ron" and Cole Teal and drove the dozen or so hours to Columbus OH, Aronowitz's home, to watch Ohio State take on Penn State in football in a match-up of their respective home states. Then, they drove back home after Jake's PA State team down the Buckeyes - road trip.

In the summers, Jake has worked at the Hill School at the Alexander Basketball Academy which is a camp and clinic for international players hoping to play in the U.S.. Next year, he hopes to participate in the Victory Scholar Program in Ireland which will allow him to earn a masters from an Irish university while also continuing to play basketball. Midd player Peter Lynch '13 participated in this program.

NESCAC hoop!

The Brown family is classy throughout.  Midd is lucky to have them. 

nescac1

Congrats to Coach App on winning the Glenn Robinson national coach of the year award.  Quite a feather in his cap in only his third year in Willliamstown!

http://www.glennrobinsonaward.com/

magicman

Don't know if you guys remember the incident in February on the 18th when a player from Daniel Webster,  Marquise Caudill, punched a player from Southern Vermont and then stomped on him when he was lying on the floor. (Here's a link to the story:  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/02/daniel-webster-program-goes-down-with-fight )

Just on my local news, since Southern Vermont is in our viewing area, that yesterday, Caudill was in court and he was sentenced to 1 year in jail. I think it was the fact that he kicked the player when he was on the floor that brought the jail sentence. Lots of thrown punches in basketball games that never resulted in jail time. Kicking a guy when he's down brings a different element into the equation.

Sad that you go to college and end up in jail because you can't control yourself in a sporting event. I'm sure that kid will be kicking himself in the head as he spends the next year behind bars, wondering why he did such a stupid thing. :P

Cards Fan

Quote from: magicman on April 07, 2017, 08:10:22 AM
Don't know if you guys remember the incident in February on the 18th when a player from Daniel Webster,  Marquise Caudill, punched a player from Southern Vermont and then stomped on him when he was lying on the floor. (Here's a link to the story:  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/02/daniel-webster-program-goes-down-with-fight )

Just on my local news, since Southern Vermont is in our viewing area, that yesterday, Caudill was in court and he was sentenced to 1 year in jail. I think it was the fact that he kicked the player when he was on the floor that brought the jail sentence. Lots of thrown punches in basketball games that never resulted in jail time. Kicking a guy when he's down brings a different element into the equation.

Sad that you go to college and end up in jail because you can't control yourself in a sporting event. I'm sure that kid will be kicking himself in the head as he spends the next year behind bars, wondering why he did such a stupid thing. :P
Kind of a harsh sentence.. Seems like fights break out in basketball plenty and don't get any jail time. I think a kick on the ground shouldn't make a year. Just remember when Metta World Peace got into a fight with a FAN during a game. He was simply suspended.