BB: NEWMAC: New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Welcome to the Baseball Message Board for the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference  (NEWMAC).

NEBB

Great site - long overdue. Anybody with thoughts on the 2007 NEWMAC season? MIT is coming on strong, Coast Guard has a new coach, WPI will open eyes with one of the leagues top pitchers in Fahey. Etc...

spring07

Babson should be strong as well. 3 frontline pitchers return along with their bullpen ace. Their middle infield is intact - Schmitt and Delaney are an excellent combo. Campbell gives them power in the middle of their order. Tough to replace Dziuba's bat but pitching will make up the difference.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NEBB on February 21, 2007, 01:02:24 PM
Great site - long overdue. Anybody with thoughts on the 2007 NEWMAC season? MIT is coming on strong, Coast Guard has a new coach, WPI will open eyes with one of the leagues top pitchers in Fahey. Etc...

No one posted a single time in the 2006 season.  :D

363dp

Though they lost eight seniors from the team that was runner up in the World Series, Wheaton has a very strong group to build around. Catcher Laplante, Yagjain (2b), Leonard (ss), Guillerault (3b) and Anthoine (of) all were major parts of that successful team. Add the returning pitchers; McDonough, Bernadini, White, Moore and Simmons, and you have another team that will be battling for the right to go to Appleton again!

spring07

Many of the teams in the NEWMAC have top flight aces that could give Wheaton trouble. WPI - Fahey, Babson - Whelan, Springfield - Lisowski, etc. Don't mean to leave anyone else out, just not as familiar with their staffs.

remsleep

Quality of play in the NEWMAC seems to have been consistently improving over the past few years...Wheaton being the most obvious example based on their 2006 accomplishments.  I would be wary of the Clark team....they had an ugly season in 2006 but their pitching staff this season is better than people know.   Biggest issue for the Cougs will be finding position players in the infield who can catch and throw the ball....they were pitiful in Florida.  if they solve this issue they will make some noise.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: remsleep on March 15, 2007, 11:02:14 PM
Quality of play in the NEWMAC seems to have been consistently improving over the past few years...Wheaton being the most obvious example based on their 2006 accomplishments.  I would be wary of the Clark team....they had an ugly season in 2006 but their pitching staff this season is better than people know.   Biggest issue for the Cougs will be finding position players in the infield who can catch and throw the ball....they were pitiful in Florida.  if they solve this issue they will make some noise.
Welcome rem, thanks for the opinion.

wordsmith

Happy St. Patrick's Day: Orange is the color of the day!![/b]
WOW Wheaton, ranked #2 and currently 2-4 on the season, wins a nail bitter against TCNJ (commonly know as The College of New Jersey), 23-12.

23-12? 23-12? Was this a spring football game? Did TCNJ miss the extra points?
I mean 23-12, 35 runs by 2 teams alleged to be Top 10-15 material?

In the words of the immortal Allen Iverson:
We talkin' 'bout baseball man, not football, baseball, baseball, not, not football, baseball.

TCNJ plays Keene State today. Another tough game. Predictions: TCNJ wins by a field goal.

Write me back,after all how many times can you get an Iverson reference in a D-III baseball posting??

Word
Word

bball13

The Wheaton/College of New Jersey game was probably just two teams that when it comes down to it haven't played enough games outside to hit any kind of rhythm with pitching and hitting.  It's kind of tough to come from indoor facilities facing your own teamates for over a month or so without seeing any other pitching or hitting.  These two teams are pretty good though, so I wouldn't use the word alleged top teams in the nation, because they can play.  College of New Jersey averaged almost 10 runs a game in Arizona and Wheaton put together a 4 game winning streak at the end of their trip down there beating UMass Boston, College of New Jersey twice, and Denison.  Don't be surprised if Wheaton goes on another 20 + game winning streak this year also.

spring07

Babson, 5-1 on trip with wins over Amherst and Trinity.

wordsmith

Wheaton shuts down Southern Maine 2-1 as Josh Moore goes 7.2 and gives up 3 hits and 1 run.

By the way, Joe White is playing in his 5th year? How is that? I understand red-shirting back in the day, but he shows innings pitched in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and now 2007. At my school that adds up to 5 years. Did he get a medical red-shirt?
Word

bball13

The Southern Maine/Wheaton game was a good one.  Wheaton comes out and looks as if they're going to jump all over Southern Maine early, but they settle down.  Wheaton played great defense behind more all day and the bullpen comes in and struggles for a little bit but get the job done.

And Joe White did get a medical red shirt, tommy-john.

remsleep

After a couple of early season hiccups, Wheaton seems to have hit its stride as the class of the NEWMAC and probably the region.  Guillerault heating up and their pitching and defense seem consistently solid now.  My understanding of their loss at Coast Guard in Game 1 of a DH was that they ran into a buzz saw in terms of the CG pitcher....note, Wheaton's pitching was pretty darn good that day as well and they actually lost the first game on an error if memory serves.

What is up with Springfield?  I know they lost some players but...geeeessh!

I continue to be intrigued by Clark.  I know they are only 8-10 ( as opposed to Wheaton's 13-5) but there is something about that team, if you look at the overall stats, that makes me think they could get something going.  In general, their pitching has been good and they call on a lot of guys to pitch.  It appears they have made a change at shortstop and I am told that this has had a huge impact on their overall defensive improvement ( initially a glaring shortcoming).

They bear watching..... not prepared to predict anything about them at this point...just a feeling that they may be quite a surprise.

Love to hear others' thoughts on the league

Paul Heering

Just saw that WPI beat Wheaton today at Wheaton.

Very suprsising, see how they can do this weekend at Babson.