WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightSlappy

According to the college, Chuck Winkelman has resigned his position as head coach of the Calvin Women's team.

http://calvinknights.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20190114lkmi40

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: KnightSlappy on January 14, 2019, 03:29:49 PM
According to the college, Chuck Winkelman has resigned his position as head coach of the Calvin Women's team.

http://calvinknights.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20190114lkmi40

Hmm...  The press release definitely sounded to me like "We'll let you save face by resigning; otherwise you're fired" - especially coming in mid-season.

sac

It always felt like a weird hire to me.   

Flying Dutch Fan

Crazy season within the women's MIAA coaching ranks!!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

wiz

Quote from: sac on January 14, 2019, 05:11:50 PM
It always felt like a weird hire to me.
Me too!

Roundball999

Congrats to Hope's Frankie Buchanan for being named to the d3hoops.com national team of the week.  She averaged 24 points, 12 rebs and shot 70% in two wins including at Calvin.  Well done!

Roundball999

Big MIAA game today with Hope at Trine.  The outcome likely determines whether Trine wins the regular season outright or shares the regular season title with Hope.  The polls have Hope just in front of Trine, but given the beating Trine put on Hope at Devos and that they're hosting I have to think Trine is the solid favorite.  Massey has Trine favored by 5 with a 64% chance of winning; sounds about right to me.  Hope must defend much better than it did in the first game to have a chance.

TUAngola

Quote from: Roundball999 on January 26, 2019, 10:39:48 AM
Big MIAA game today with Hope at Trine.  The outcome likely determines whether Trine wins the regular season outright or shares the regular season title with Hope.  The polls have Hope just in front of Trine, but given the beating Trine put on Hope at Devos and that they're hosting I have to think Trine is the solid favorite.  Massey has Trine favored by 5 with a 64% chance of winning; sounds about right to me.  Hope must defend much better than it did in the first game to have a chance.

I'm sure Hope's coaching staff has broken down the video countless times from the 1st game and will make the necessary adjustments.  I don't expect Trine to shoot "lights out" for 3 quarters like they did in the 1st meeting.  Some of our rotations girls are playing much better, the 3 freshmen Bieniewicz, Taylor, Wilder are all playing much more confidently in the second half of the season.  Senior Duff is a gal you don't want to leave alone on the 3 point line.  Hope's advantage over Trine is size.  Buchanan wasn't much of a factor in the 1st game.  She has to play much better this time around for Hope.  Dawson has to stay out of foul trouble for Trine.  We also have to shoot FTs much better than we did Wednesday night against Calvin.

Speaking of Calvin, they started 5 freshmen against Trine last game.  They are going to be a difficult team to beat in the coming years.  Was impressed with Timmer and Coors especially.  It was quite fun to watch our freshman Taylor bang against Calvin's freshman Timmer.  Neither one was backing down, in fact the refs once called a double foul on them for excessive physical play.  It's gonna be a good rivalry in the coming years.   

Roundball999

I agree about Calvin's Timmer, really impressed with her play especially as a freshman.

Aside from Buchanan, Hope's top 10 in minutes, points and rebs are all sophomores or freshman.  Looks like Trine, Calvin and Hope are set to have some good battles near the top of the league for years to come.

TUAngola

Final from Angola...Trine 78 Hope 72

This was a fantastic, well played game today by 2 very talented teams.  The 3 point shooting by both squads was excellent.  Buchanan played an outstanding game for Hope and finished with 27, she dominated the 3rd quarter and singlehandidly kept Hope right there thru 3 quarters.  Schoonveld is going to be their next All American after she gets out of Buchanan's shadow next year, she just has a silky smooth all around game, can hit from out and take it to the rack too.  Honestly I think she needs to take over the game more, sometimes she's a little too unselfish.  I thought Gerber off the bench was clutch, I hadn't heard anything about this gal coming in to today's game but boy she was shooting well, one of her made 3 pointers was NBA range.

For Trine it was a very balanced attack.  Like I mentioned above this was probably the best I've seen us hit from behind the arc.  Martin, Duff, and Bieniewicz all hit some huge 3s, none bigger than Tara's 3 towards the end of the game with Trine clinging to a 4pt lead.  Hope really made it tough sledding for Dawson.  Their D collapsed on her most every time she got the ball.  She hit some tough shots, but also tried to force a few more in double and triple team situations.  But she's our All American, she has the ability to score when we need it most.  Hope's sub Russell played very physical with her when she was in, had a lot of fouls, I think it got Dawson fired up thinking she was a bit overly agressive in her play.  Williams I thought was probably the player of the game for Trine.  Her play is similar to Schoonveld, usually it's driving to get to the rack, but her outside shooting is night and day better then her previous 3 years at Trine, you can tell she has put in the work.  She was also clutch in FTs, which I thought would be key in the game, and it was good to see us hit 75% from the line today.

So it appears Trine is in the drivers seat to host the MIAA tournament the end of February.  Only real test the rest of the way will be a road trip to Albion, which has a pretty good team too.  Nice contingent at the game from Hope today, but their fans always travel fairly well.   

Sidenote:  the shot clocks at MTI malfunctioned around 3 minutes into the 1st quarter.  After a lenghty delay trying to get them up and running again, the officials decided to not use the clocks the rest of the 1st half.  I've seen this happen a few times, but for the most part it was a nonfactor, an announcer at the scoring table would start counting down when the shot clock got to 10.  Some Trine students thought they'd do their own countdown when Hope had the ball, but this was quickly squelched with a PA announcement to stop.  They behaved the rest of the half.  ;D   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Hoopsville Marathon Show ... is tomorrow!

Tune in starting at 12:00 p.m. ET as we talk to guests from around the country about nothing but #d3hoops.

It is all about celebrating the season, student-athletes, coaches, and an exciting season.

For more information, click here: http://bit.ly/2HGx0N3

We will share more about the show a little later.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TUAngola

Great news coming out of Trine University today.  Andy Rang has been promoted from Interim Head Coach to Head Coach of the Women's Basketball program.  I am so glad that it is now official.  He has done an absolutely tremendous job transitioning the program from the difficult fall camp when Coach Gould was let go, to leading the women to another outstanding season so far.   ;D

https://www.trinethunder.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20190129gwjwbi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What a weekend!

It was one of those sets of days we have seen often in Division III where at every turn there was something to watch, a result to ponder, and upset to breakdown. The hardwoods across the country had games worth watching all with just three weeks left in the regular season.

It started with Dave and Pat's trip to Holland, Michigan to witness the 200th meeting of Calvin and Hope. The game at DeVos Fieldhouse lived up to expectations. From the crowd to the battle on the court, every moment was a thrill ride.

And the Super Weekend didn't stop there. A number of teams in both Top 25s took losses that not only will shake up the polls, but also shakes up conferences races and adds plenty of intrigue for the first Regional Rankings to be released this week. Oh, and a 200-point explosion from a high-powered offense!

On this special, Monday, edition of Hoopsville, Dave and guests have plenty to try and breakdown. Dave will share his reactions from "The Rivalry" and you will hear one of the crazier stories on how a mom names a son. Plus, hear about the Greenville-Fontbonne game which saw 346 points put on the board. And coaches from Hamilton men and East Texas Baptist women along with one of the top players for WashU women give us insight on how their teams are doing.

Ryan Scott also joins Dave as they give their initial reactions to the latest Top 25 polls and more.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Monday's show can be see LIVE here: http://bit.ly/2UGhZw2 (and simulcast on Facebook Live and Periscope).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- George Barber, Greenville men's head coach
- Adam Stockwell, No. 8 Hamilton
- Becca Clark-Callender, WashU. women's senior guard
- "What Is In a Name?," Dina Hackert, Hope '91
- Rusty Rainbolt, No. 15 East Texas Baptist women's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com senior writer (Top 25 Double-Take)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh