FB: Midwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbpuckfan

SNC had a 47, if I understand the category selection correctly.

for years SNC was in the regional group. Not sure when/why was moved to the national liberal arts colleges.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

astro9046

Quote from: WW on July 18, 2018, 12:10:05 PM
Quote from: judgetrainer on July 18, 2018, 11:38:50 AM
Hard to make a counter argument to the poll, though. Monmouth and Lake Forest in the South, SNC and Chicago in the North and after that...Let's face it, focusing on academics makes recruiting just a little tougher.

Wellll I don't know that there's greater academic focus in the MWC than, say, most CCIW institutions, which seem to do just fine in the game. But in any case, Monmouth has a real opportunity to bolster MWC's poll credentials with a win in one of their two NC games, either No. 13 Wartburg or No. 18 Wheaton. SNC getting a win over a WIAC foe (Eau Claire) would boost MWC's profile as well, even if UWEC is a likely WIAC cellar dweller. Lake Forest gets a shot at North Central (No. 7) too.

The fact that MWC teams (not only SN or Monmouth) are taking the opportunity to play higher ranked teams is a Hugh bolster to each team & conference exposure. Very happy to see Lake Forest taking that opportunity to play NC, win or lose they are developing to compete at that level. Have to play big to win big, everyone started somewhere, who didn't hide from the challenge.
"SOME PEOPLE THINK FOOTBALL IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. I ASSURE YOU, IT'S MUCH MORE SERIOUS THAN THAT"

TwoArmedScot

Hickory Husker,

Must have been the same time that Chicago and Macalester left the conference as well.   ;)

WW

Quote from: astro9046 on July 24, 2018, 06:34:07 PM
Hard to make a counter argument to the poll, though. Monmouth and Lake Forest in the South, SNC and Chicago in the North and after that...Let's face it, focusing on academics makes recruiting just a little tougher.

Wellll I don't know that there's greater academic focus in the MWC than, say, most CCIW institutions, which seem to do just fine in the game. But in any case, Monmouth has a real opportunity to bolster MWC's poll credentials with a win in one of their two NC games, either No. 13 Wartburg or No. 18 Wheaton. SNC getting a win over a WIAC foe (Eau Claire) would boost MWC's profile as well, even if UWEC is a likely WIAC cellar dweller. Lake Forest gets a shot at North Central (No. 7) too.

The fact that MWC teams (not only SN or Monmouth) are taking the opportunity to play higher ranked teams is a Hugh bolster to each team & conference exposure. Very happy to see Lake Forest taking that opportunity to play NC, win or lose they are developing to compete at that level. Have to play big to win big, everyone started somewhere, who didn't hide from the challenge.

Agree. Lake Forest seems to go 8-2 more often than not (four of the last six seasons, I think), but with neither conference championship or a playoff berth to show for it. Time for the next step. NC will be a statement game, one way or the other, for LF.

astro9046

Quote from: WW on July 25, 2018, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: astro9046 on July 24, 2018, 06:34:07 PM

Agree. Lake Forest seems to go 8-2 more often than not (four of the last six seasons, I think), but with neither conference championship or a playoff berth to show for it. Time for the next step. NC will be a statement game, one way or the other, for LF.
UC opens with UW, who had a down year last year but beat UC, and Simpson who is a tough team and beat COE who is usually a powerhouse in conference with Wartburg. Ripon is an interesting team would like to see them start to push for tougher 1st 2 games. LF is coming in with a great recruiting class so that will help the program.
Can't wait for season.
"SOME PEOPLE THINK FOOTBALL IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. I ASSURE YOU, IT'S MUCH MORE SERIOUS THAN THAT"

WW

Ripon had a home-and-home with LaCrosse last two seasons and got smoked, although when they scheduled that set my guess is that UWL was the 3-7ish team they have been for most of the decade, not the legit WIAC contender they are now.

SNC and Monmouth picked by wide margins to win their divisions in coaches poll. Chicago gets a couple first place votes challenging SNC and I think that's legit. Macalester and Illinois College (?) also get a first place vote apiece — that's gotta be a result of coaches not being allowed to vote for their own team.

Also, WR Staehling and K Thompson-Meyers from SNC named to pre-season All America team. Monmouth DE Lesniewski also represents MWC.

judgetrainer

Did anyone see the MWC Media Day yesterday? I was not aware of it until late in the day, and, being at work, had no access. Anything stand out?

WW

Quote from: judgetrainer on August 03, 2018, 09:20:11 AM
Did anyone see the MWC Media Day yesterday? I was not aware of it until late in the day, and, being at work, had no access. Anything stand out?

I saw some of it. Some insight mixed in with lots of "polls don't mean anythings," and "we'll play 'em one at a times" and "can't look past anybody in this leagues". Pretty clear it's still a league of haves and have-nots. SNC, for example, has 45 incoming freshmen, that was bigger than somebody else's whole roster. Nobody gave away too much but I think I'm more bullish on Ripon based on what I heard. 10 O starters back, including QB. North Division is gonna be interesting.

One of the coaches referenced 50,000 or 60,000 people watching online... really? Wow -- pretty impressive if that's legit -- possible he was joking. You can still access the presser via MWC site.

Pat Coleman

That was definitely a joke. :)

Having talked to all of these coaches for Kickoff in the past couple of weeks, it was nice to hear what they had to say again. A couple of new nuggets. Comprehensive coverage of the MWC coming in six days!

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2018/06/order-kickoff-2018-now
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

astro9046

Quote from: judgetrainer on August 03, 2018, 09:20:11 AM
here you go. https://lakeforestcollege.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=6c0d9a41-0a66-4c47-bf34-a928010af51c

Pat Coleman

Folks, just a reminder that Kickoff '18 goes live tomorrow! Register now if you haven't already!
http://www.d3football.com/notables/2018/06/order-kickoff-2018-now
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WW

Big news from Ripon — 47 freshmen report! Entire roster last year was 50ish. RedHawks on the rise!

fulbakdad

Wow, that is a big change.  Nice!

scottie

Quote from: WW on August 16, 2018, 08:42:48 AM
Big news from Ripon — 47 freshmen report! Entire roster last year was 50ish. RedHawks on the rise!

RC's president and admissions director owe the coaches a nice dinner. 
HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

02 Warhawk

Hello,

Trying to recruit one more member for the West Region Fan poll. Please send me a personal message if you're interested.

Much appreciated!