FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gridironsouthernboy

You are correct about the money being shared. My son was only offered " gap money". Enough to cover the difference between the total minus grants and other scholarships. Still cheaper than his Guilford bill , but he liked the school better. Then he was offered pwo with a chance to "win " a full-time ride. I see a real advantage for a state supported school vs private school in recruiting on this level.In state tuition is almost totally covered with federal Pell  Grant and a couple small scholarships.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: gridironsouthernboy on October 15, 2018, 06:54:47 PM
You are correct about the money being shared. My son was only offered " gap money". Enough to cover the difference between the total minus grants and other scholarships. Still cheaper than his Guilford bill , but he liked the school better. Then he was offered pwo with a chance to "win " a full-time ride. I see a real advantage for a state supported school vs private school in recruiting on this level.In state tuition is almost totally covered with federal Pell  Grant and a couple small scholarships.

Lenior Rhyne offered a scholarship to my son but it was about half of his academic scholarship at HSC. We did not qualify for any financial aid. So it was either pay LR 28000 after athletic scholarship  or HSC 28000 after academic scholarship.   When comparing the two schools there really was no comparison. Facilities- HSC, Academics HSC, Student Life - HSC. At least that's how it went for him. Catawba try to guilt him into playing "scholarship" football by telling him D3 was glorified high school football. It was pathetic and went on deaf ears. 

In the ODAC the athletes play in top not facilities against very good competition. When a kid is deciding where to play they need to go to a school they can afford, a school they fit in, a school that offers programs in their interest and very importantly a school they would want to be a student if they're not playing football.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Jeremybozz

AFCA Coaches Poll has Washington & Lee unranked at #31 with 19 vote points. Randolph Macon is unranked at #37 with 9 vote points.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Jeremybozz on October 15, 2018, 11:56:30 PM
AFCA Coaches Poll has Washington & Lee unranked at #31 with 19 vote points. Randolph Macon is unranked at #37 with 9 vote points.

Which may finally put to rest any residual faith in the AFCA poll, at least at the lower levels of the voting. Still, it's good to see the conference get some respect.
TANSTAAFL

Air Raid

In the ODAC the athletes play in top not facilities against very good competition. When a kid is deciding where to play they need to go to a school they can afford, a school they fit in, a school that offers programs in their interest and very importantly a school they would want to be a student if they're not playing football.
[/quote]

This is a great illustration and point.  The sticker price involved in private D3 colleges is typically higher than D2 counterparts.  However, the institutional grants and scholarships will fairly often make the out of pocket costs very similar.  I believe at the end of the day students should select a school that feels most like home- regardless of the division.  Academically, D3 schools can offer a tremendous learning experience in a small class environment, and for some students that is the most ideal. 
We are very privileged that all the schools in the conference are tremendous learning environments and offer exceptional opportunities for students.

gridironsouthernboy

Agreed, that's what made my son's decision.

CaliJacketDR

Except for one exceptional academic outlier (W&L) and one mediocre academic outlier (unnamed), most schools in the ODAC are largely interchangeable in terms of what you want from a school; a regionally known name with vibrant alumni groups, and people getting jobs.

tigerFanAlso2

I sent 2 sons to HSC, both played f'ball; I can assure you the tuition I paid was 2x the cost of public education. I was happy to pay the difference because HSC was a good fit for both.   

tigerFanAlso2

HSC offense is clicking but the defense needs to deal with Mr. Bell. I've got HSC winning 45 to 28. Bell could flip it the other way.
RMC will roll BC; pick the score
SU @ E&H could go either way. I'm going with SU to win 45 to 38
W&L @ Ferrum.. this could turn into a battle of two pretty good defenses. I pick to win W&L 21 to 17.

I swore I'd never to this again but this board is sooooo dead I'd thought I would try to drive some conversation. ODAC is so dominated by RMC this year there really is not too much to discuss, at least at this point. If HSC can figure a way to beat GC, FC and W&L, The Game could become very interesting (at least I hope so).

Good luck to all !!!!!

jknezek

It really is a quiet board this year. It's hard to generate any real love for this year. W&L playing RMC conference week 1 just sucked it out of me. Josh Breece is tearing things up again, but it's kind of quiet because it's hard to imagine it matters. I just don't see anyone taking out RMC, let alone 2 teams.

And I'm still having issues watching W&L. Especially in the second half of games. It's just not right what I'm seeing on offense, and it's killing me because the defense is brutally good. The best defense I've seen from a W&L team. And there is so much back on offense that despite being 3-1, despite the fact they have a legit shot to go 8-1, it just doesn't seem right to watch it sputter.

Maybe it's just me.

tigerFanAlso2

Sounds like you have been spoiled ...... What are the problems with the offense; execution, play calling, both ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 18, 2018, 10:33:21 AM
Sounds like you have been spoiled ...... What are the problems with the offense; execution, play calling, both ?

I don't really know. At this point is surpasses my football knowledge. We seem hell bent on having 2 different player packages depending on qb. It seems like maybe the pairings aren't clicking or we can't get momentum the way we are doing it. Things work real well one drive, and then it's time for the other package and it peters out, then the previous package comes back in and they seem stale or cold. After halftime, we might be getting out adjusted, but that's just a guess. First year head coach, so growing pains are expected. But it really came at a difficult time. With Coach Abell I think this might have been one of the best W&L teams I've ever seen. The way it is going, it's a very good team, but not at that level.

And yes, it's sad that I'm luke warm on a 3-1 team. The Generals are now only 11 games under .500 for the program history, a milestone that a decade ago would have seemed completely out of reach.

Part of the problem may be I'm just more divorced from the program than I was. With the kids growing up and being involved in their soccer and taekwondo I just don't have the same time to watch the games and look at the data. So maybe it's just me and a change in my life.

rmc2016champs

Any chance RMC doesn't win the ODAC this year? I have a hard time thinking they could lose a conference game the rest of the year.

jknezek

Quote from: rmc2016champs on October 19, 2018, 08:04:58 AM
Any chance RMC doesn't win the ODAC this year? I have a hard time thinking they could lose a conference game the rest of the year.

I think they'll be hard pressed not to win. H-SC is still undefeated in conference. It's possible The Game might come down to two undefeated teams, at H-SC. I don't actually think that happens, but it could. And Ferrum is still out there. They have proven to be dangerous at times. But a loss to Ferrum, who already owns two conference losses, wouldn't necessarily cost the Jackets a title.

It's the YellowJackets conference to lose this year in my opinion.

rmc2016champs

Quote from: jknezek on October 19, 2018, 08:50:23 AM
Quote from: rmc2016champs on October 19, 2018, 08:04:58 AM

I think they'll be hard pressed not to win. H-SC is still undefeated in conference. It's possible The Game might come down to two undefeated teams, at H-SC. I don't actually think that happens, but it could. And Ferrum is still out there. They have proven to be dangerous at times. But a loss to Ferrum, who already owns two conference losses, wouldn't necessarily cost the Jackets a title.

It's the YellowJackets conference to lose this year in my opinion.

HSC lost to Shenandoah