Best CWS Teams since 2005

Started by d3baseballnut, May 29, 2009, 12:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3baseballnut

For those of you who have been to many of the CWS's in Wisconsin since 2005, can we get a list of the top 5 teams from each of you from that time period.

Note: Teams on this list do not have to have won the title to be on the list. This is a simple ranking of those teams who you thought were the best based on what you saw.

Ralph Turner

:D   :D   :D

Quote from: d3baseballnut on May 29, 2009, 12:56:28 PM
For those of you who have been to many of the CWS's in Wisconsin since 2005, can we get a list of the top 5 teams from each of you from that time period.

Note: Teams on this list do not have to have won the title to be on the list. This is a simple ranking of those teams who you thought were the best based on what you saw.

I guess that makes JHU eligible for consideration.   ;)

BigPoppa

I think the list has to start with Chapman who showed up in Appleton 4 stright years. Maybe not the BEST team in any given year, but certainly over the span it is hard to argue against them.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

d3baseballnut

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 29, 2009, 01:43:10 PM
:D   :D   :D

Quote from: d3baseballnut on May 29, 2009, 12:56:28 PM

I guess that makes JHU eligible for consideration.   ;)

haha.....they have to be, right!!! :D

...just wanted to know the most impressive teams you guys have seen there....comparing different teams across the years, even from the same school

Jim Dixon

My top 5:

1. UWW (2005)
2. Cortland (2005)
3. Trinity (2008)
4. Kean (2007)
5. Wheaton (2006)

Add: Marietta (2006), St. Thomas (2009), and Emory (2007) if you want a 8 team regional.

mideastfan2

I'd agree with Jim's list...however I'd definitely have MArietta (06) over Wheaton (06) since Marietta beat them for the Championship.....and walked right through that Series with no problems.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 29, 2009, 05:28:28 PM
I'd agree with Jim's list...however I'd definitely have MArietta (06) over Wheaton (06) since Marietta beat them for the Championship.....and walked right through that Series with no problems.

I took Wheaton over Marietta because of the strength of the pitching staffs.  Marietta was good but they had a little luck to get through the winners bracket.  I almost think that a team that came through the losers bracket could be a better team.  The 2005-2008 bracket format favored the Pioneers and I am not sure they win the championship if they had to come through the losers bracket.

I would want them in my imaginary 8 team tournament.

mideastfan2

agree to disagree on the pitching strength :)

I'll take the way Marietta's Eisenberg, Demark, Dennick, Baumler, and Dunn were throwing that year over anyone...even if they would have had to come through the loser's bracket  ;)

The Eisenberg vs Zimmerman opening game was the only challenge MC had all tourny, and they put it on cruise control after that 2-1 win.

KSCfan

I think that the Trinity team from 2008 has to be the best team since 2005.  They only lost one game, and that was in the championship.  Running the table in D3 is almost impossible and they almost did it.  The pitching depth on that team was unheard of.  I would say only 1 loss on the year, and a national title would have to make them the best team since 2005. 

DSKSlugger

They were dominant, no doubt. But who beat them? And who was one out away from being the only team to beat them all year, and do it twice? And who had to play them and have their starter go on 2 days rest vs 3 days, and get through a whitewater slugfest to get to the championship. And mind you, in the winners bracket game of that 2008 series, those in attendance will remember a Tony Marve ground rule double that was inches from scoring more runs  late in the game that allowed trinity to sit pretty on championship day.

Yes, a disgruntled fan sobbing over missed oportunities. But i think these circumstances mean you have to include 08 JHU in this discussion. That roster was stacked!

d3baseballnut

Quote from: DSKSlugger on June 04, 2009, 08:53:09 PM
They were dominant, no doubt. But who beat them? And who was one out away from being the only team to beat them all year, and do it twice? And who had to play them and have their starter go on 2 days rest vs 3 days, and get through a whitewater slugfest to get to the championship. And mind you, in the winners bracket game of that 2008 series, those in attendance will remember a Tony Marve ground rule double that was inches from scoring more runs  late in the game that allowed trinity to sit pretty on championship day.

Yes, a disgruntled fan sobbing over missed oportunities. But i think these circumstances mean you have to include 08 JHU in this discussion. That roster was stacked!

I think it goes without saying that in my heart of hearts I agree with you.... ;D

Does anyone not think that Hopkins outplayed Trinity on the final day? Still, Trinity has to be ahead of them bc....well, they won.

However, if my vibe was right, i felt most onlookers walked away more impressed with Hopkins than Trinity that day, even though they lost

NESCAC_Watcher

You'll have to forgive because I forget the names, but I think a case can be made that the kid that came in from third on the dropped third strike to put JHU ahead in Game 1 might not have been safe...looked out to me in a video replay...but I may be biased too since I know the pitcher in that Game 1...

d3baseballnut

Quote from: NESCAC_Watcher on June 05, 2009, 04:47:06 PM
You'll have to forgive because I forget the names, but I think a case can be made that the kid that came in from third on the dropped third strike to put JHU ahead in Game 1 might not have been safe...looked out to me in a video replay...but I may be biased too since I know the pitcher in that Game 1...

Dude, he was safe....if you pause the video at the right moment, Katz is on home plate and Kiely's glove was still up at his chest level.

BaseballFan

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 29, 2009, 02:08:00 PM
My top 5:

1. UWW (2005)  Agreed and they barely got out of a ridiculous tough region
2. Cortland (2005)
3. Trinity (2008) If it wasnt for 1 game I think a perfect record would make them number 1 for me
4. Kean (2007)
5. Wheaton (2006)

Add: Marietta (2006), St. Thomas (2009), and Emory (2007) if you want a 8 team regional.

OshDude

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 29, 2009, 02:08:00 PM
My top 5:

1. UWW (2005)
2. Cortland (2005)
3. Trinity (2008)
4. Kean (2007)
5. Wheaton (2006)

I never bothered replying because I thought Jim nailed the top four. Etta from '06 would be my No. 5.