Mid-East Region 2014

Started by Pops33, February 13, 2014, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on March 14, 2014, 12:56:22 AM
I'm still hoping we can make it back to back!

That Gronski is a BEAST!!!

Do DIII players ever get drafted?  I realize that this is Division III pitching, but his numbers at ANY level are truly amazing thus far!

I doubt many 5-11 guys that aren't fast get drafted from D-III. He's an electrical engineering major though, I feel pretty sure he'll be OK haha.

Dr. Acula

Other than Saunders what other position players have been drafted and stuck recently?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.  All pitchers that I'm remembering.

108 Stitches

There has been some threads here that had some information on draft picks I guess you could do a search. Last one I remember is 2012 Bruce Maxwell from Birmingham Southern. I know there are other position players but don't remember names. He was also taken as a Jr if I recall correctly. LH hitting catcher. A lot will depend on how he did in summer leagues and at what level he played at in those leagues.

ADL70

CWRU's Chad Mullins was d3 poy couple of years ago, but wasn't drafted.  The only Spartan I can recall being drafted was the son of MLB mgr Ken Macha.  Spartan P Rob Winemiller is getting some interest, since he throws mid-90s.

Spartans lose 4-3 to WashU to fall to second place. .  Win over Emory would assure a second co-championship.  With that win and an Emory loss on Sunday they could still win ought right.

Curious relief decision wigth game tied in the bottom of nine, putting in a little used pitcher with a 20 era, with Rossman and the closer Sondag in the pen.  Hope that means Rossman gets the start tomorrow.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Spence

If Case has a draft-quality pitcher, why the heck didn't they throw him against Marietta?

Only takes one scout to get a guy drafted, but still...this is odd sounding to say the least.

ADL70

He's like Ricky Vaugh, pre-specs.  As I said, the interest is because he throws mid 90s.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Spence

Still not buying it. Reads like the Trinity guys that claim guys that hardly pitch throw in the 90s and are gonna get drafted.

I remember one Oshkosh guy that hardly pitched that got drafted, and there have been a few legacy picks that were clearly not worthy, but generally if you don't even manage to get significant playing time in D-III, you aren't getting drafted.

ADL70

The Emory broadcaster confirmed that there were scouts putting him on the gun.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Search.aspx?search=Robert%20Winemiller
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Dr. Acula

Quote from: ADL70 on March 15, 2014, 11:21:08 AM
He's like Ricky Vaugh, pre-specs.  As I said, the interest is because he throws mid 90s.

It should be noted that he's a converted catcher so he's raw.  That may answer Spence's question.  He's a live arm that is learning to pitch so he may not be as reliable as other, less physically talented guys as of now.  Very cool story though.  Hope he does go as high as that article suggested. 

Spence

Well, that is all completely bizarre. He's not a good enough catcher to catch, not a good enough pitcher to pitch, but is a top 5 round draft prospect (not that that means that much anymore considering the way the money works now) on the basis of 8 innings in summer ball.

But if baseball can somehow collectively decide Matt DeSalvo wasn't worth drafting, they're capable of just about anything.

ADL70

He was all-MW regional tourney C last season.

Anyway he pitched 2.2 0 run  2 hit 2 K for the win in relief today.  43 pitches 24 strikes
CWRU wins UAA beating Emory 9-6 despite facing two of their top three pitchers.  Emory can tie for the title with a win tomorrow.

Rossman inexplicably only made the one appearance in Fla.

Spartan women in a three-way tie for title as well.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Spence

Quote from: ADL70 on March 15, 2014, 07:56:40 PM
He was all-MW regional tourney C last season.

So why isn't he playing there this year?

Never mind...I give up trying to solve this riddle. I'm just going to go back to "this is bizarre" and stay on that.

Bishopleftiesdad

Gronski played in New York for the Geveva red wings, here is his stat line:

Player   P   AVG     G      AB       R    H   2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB   HBP   SO   SF   SH   SB   CS   DP   E
Gronski, IF .306     32   108   12   33   6     0     1     19    11       1     8     2     0      0     0     3    4

Pretty good numbers using a wood bat. Only 8 strike outs in 108 at bats. I am interested to see where he plays this summer and how he does. The summer is where D3 players prove they can play with the big boys.

DagarmanSpartan

Back to Back UAA titles for the Spartans!

Great job!!!

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU, plays Heidelberg mid week then DH's against Case next Saturday and Sunday.