Author Topic: 2018 Men's Bracketology  (Read 579 times)

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
2018 Men's Bracketology
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:36:43 pm »
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Men's Bracketology
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 11:29:19 am »
 :oNorwich @ Oswego in round 1?  Salve Regina gets Plymouth State?  Interesting first round matchups...  Hard to argue with your analysis.  Just the dreaded "fairness" of #1 Oswego having to play the defending national champs in the first round while the West #4 seed gets to stay home with a bye to the QF....

Offline elbojpb

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:14:16 pm »
If (on paper) the three of the 4 best teams in the nation are in the West, then having the West teams head straight to quarters is a logical conclusion.

BTW - Appreciate the work (again) for easy consumption by those of us still mystified by this whole process.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:58:02 am »
If (on paper) the three of the 4 best teams in the nation are in the West, then having the West teams head straight to quarters is a logical conclusion.

BTW - Appreciate the work (again) for easy consumption by those of us still mystified by this whole process.

The problem with men's hockey is that without any meaningful cross-over, it's impossible to know how the east stacks up against the west.

Offline Bartman

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:42:05 am »
If Norwich does not win the NEHC tournament, and lets say Hobart does, what would happen to these 2 teams for the tournament?
When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers.”
― Max McGee Green Bay Packers Super Bowl I
“I never graduated college, but I was only there for two terms – Truman’s and Eisenhower’s” – Alex Karras

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:00:39 am »
If Norwich does not win the NEHC tournament, and lets say Hobart does, what would happen to these 2 teams for the tournament?

Well, if the Regional Rankings are any hint, Norwich's season will be over.  They weren't even ranked by the NCAA.  Hobart will probably be a higher seed if they win the NEHC tournament...

Offline Bartman

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:50:37 pm »

Well, if the Regional Rankings are any hint, Norwich's season will be over.  They weren't even ranked by the NCAA.  Hobart will probably be a higher seed if they win the NEHC tournament...
Thanks for the input. For the last 3 years Hobart has earned a ranking that generated a first round NCAA home game but VERY SADLY we lost each one. Maybe we should fall enough and be seeded for an away game IF we make the tournament....although I sure would like to reverse history and get a home game and win in the first round....sounds like we need to win the NEHC tournament  to get that opportunity.
When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers.”
“I never graduated college, but I was only there for two terms – Truman’s and Eisenhower’s” – Alex Karras

Offline elbojpb

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
2018 Men's Bracketology Pt Deaux
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:51 am »
This made me smile "... the overall weakness of the UCHC is a complete anchor ..." which, until a couple years ago, was the buoyancy factor which helped the ECAC/W get previously thought "undeserved" bids.  My how things have changed, and not for the better.

This league seems to have the kiss of death, and motivates every team (with an option), to flee.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:20:50 pm »
The problem with men's hockey is that without any meaningful cross-over, it's impossible to know how the east stacks up against the west.

Except as it pertains to this process, there is. The criteria. That's it. Will it always represent the actual quality comparison between any teams? No, but as far as seeding goes we know exactly how one gets compared to the other. In previous years I think the West did have three of the top four or five, but not so sure this time around. Point's resume is good but not what it has been. RNK is lower as is SOS. Though, if it wins out and finishes 21-4-3 maybe we'll see the same thing we saw last year.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Men's Bracketology Pt Deaux
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 12:24:23 pm »
This made me smile "... the overall weakness of the UCHC is a complete anchor ..." which, until a couple years ago, was the buoyancy factor which helped the ECAC/W get previously thought "undeserved" bids.  My how things have changed, and not for the better.

This league seems to have the kiss of death, and motivates every team (with an option), to flee.

Ha, yeah. And to be clear I'm speaking specifically to its non-conference performance this year, which was not good and thus drags down the entire league's SOS. 23-45-11 (.361) as a league, which is worst of any conference.

Bound to improve though considering there are four new/newer teams in there...

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 12:25:05 pm »
Probably should have put this here right away....

Men's Bracketology: Week 2

Offline Bartman

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 12:10:36 am »

Thanks for this thorough analysis. Are you going to do a forecast every week?

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:43:14 pm »

Thanks for this thorough analysis. Are you going to do a forecast every week?

Yup, every Tuesday evening after each of the three sets of regional rankings, and then another on the evening of March 4 after all conference championships are decided.