Started by bestfancle, August 28, 2018, 12:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncac_dad

NCAC Preseason #1 and #2

Kenyon - 96 points

OWU - 94 points

Kenyon - 6 First Place Votes

OWU - 4 First Place Votes

That is pretty close.  Will that be the case on the field?

Will Kenyon continue their dominance?

Will the OWU 2016/2017 class play together enough to win the NCAC outright and do something in the NCAA tournament?

midwest

Kenyon graduated some strong senior leadership and performers, so it will be interesting to see how they fill those needs. Kenyon plays Carnegie Mellon this weekend, OWU plays Wheaton (Ill) so those games will be interesting to follow.

ncac_dad

Yes, Kenyon has graduated some very good senior players and leadership, however, the current crop of seniors are good, with the sophomores having the experience of a great campaign in 2017.

Kenyon actually plays John Carroll then Carnegie Mellon.  That is a tough start to the season for Kenyon if JCU and CMU performance carry over from last year.

OWU, should have less of a challenge with Wash U. Wheaton, will be interesting for OWU.

The OWU juniors should provide good leadership, compared to last year.

All games will be streamed.

ncac_dad

On another note. Although, focused on the NCAC, the OAC teams were outstanding last year.

Any thoughts, if their teams will have repeat performances this season?

bestfancle

Quote from: ncac_dad on August 30, 2018, 07:24:39 PM
On another note. Although, focused on the NCAC, the OAC teams were outstanding last year.

Any thoughts, if their teams will have repeat performances this season?

Overall, I do not think the OAC will be as strong as last season, although their top teams could do just as well.

I expect a drop off for JCU. Their defense comes back pretty strong, but they lost their three best players going forward. A draw against Kenyon today would be a great result for them. I expect them to beat Denison on Sunday.

Otterbein seems to be the team to watch in the OAC. The 2nd year coach, Jason Griffiths, did an amazing job in his first season. I've never seen a coach be able to impact a program so quickly, and Otterbein thrives off of set pieces. They return most of their players.

I feel that ONU is primed to come back this year as well, just from the pure fact that Coach Ridenour can't be held down for long. Both their forwards are returning, along with many mids. They may struggle defensively at the start of the season, but ONU is notorious for rigorous film study unlike any other team in the OAC.

I don't expect much out of Capital, but they proved me wrong last year, so who knows. Marietta should be middle of the road as well. BW will be better than expected, but would be lucky to make it to an OAC semi-final. Heidleburg and Mount are young. Wilmington and Muskingum will be bottom dwellers per usual.

bestfancle

It would be harsh not to mention Case Western Reserve. The team returns 7 starters and should be a challenge for all of the NCAC and OAC teams they face this year. https://athletics.case.edu/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20180827g6as86

They open up with Marietta and Mount Union, who they should handle.

ncac_dad

If I remember CWRU had the hardest SOS last year.

MidwestGrinder

Quote from: midwest on August 29, 2018, 04:33:32 PM
Kenyon graduated some strong senior leadership and performers, so it will be interesting to see how they fill those needs. Kenyon plays Carnegie Mellon this weekend, OWU plays Wheaton (Ill) so those games will be interesting to follow.

I believe this is the year OWU begins to take back over the NCAC. Kenyon's dominance from 2014-2016 was largely due to their extraordinarily strong 2016 and 2017 classes that turned them into a top 5 nationally ranked program. Kenyon took a step back last year and didn't look the same after their 2016 class departed and I expect them to take another step back this year with the departure of the 2017 class. Kenyon dropped 6 games in 2017, the same amount they dropped in their 2015 and 2016 seasons combined (Not to mention the 2015/2016 drops were to teams like Tufts and Calvin whereas the 2017 team tied Marietta). OWU on the other hand were on par with Kenyon in 2014, slightly worse in 2015, and completely outclassed in 2016. However, OWU seems to be on the rise by winning the NCAC tournament last season. It just seems to me OWU has been ascending while Kenyon has been descending. I could be completely wrong but I think this is the year OWU becomes king again.

blooter442

Well now, Kenyon up 3-0 on John Carroll. Pretty resounding scoreline, although it appeared to be a 1-0 game until 2 goals in 2 minutes changed the complexion.

PaulNewman

Midwest Grinder, I would tend to agree with you in broad strokes.

OWU won the national title in 2011 and in 2012 and 2013 had teams ranked #1 for some or most of the season IIRC, and certainly had talent to match the 2011 edition.  A 2013 Messiah-OWU tourney game (which would have been played at OWU) would have been a great one but Rose-Hulman pulled the major upset on Roy Rike.  The 2014 team was still very, very good, and indeed made the Final Four. 

Kenyon's rise was built around the 2015 class with Justice and company (with an initial frosh class of 20), and then taken a level higher by the 2016 and 2017 classes.  Kenyon came back on the national stage in 2013 when the Lords beat Ohio Northern and Wheaton (Ill) and took Messiah to the wire on Shoemaker Field.  In 2014, Kenyon was stronger overall than OWU IMHO and was unlucky to draw OWU in the Sweet 16 just 2 weeks after finally beating OWU for the first time in years.  And Sam Justice tried to play on one leg.  A magical season with a horrifically bitter ending.  An OT goal from 40 yards against PS-Behrend and a win in (I think) PKs against Calvin in a game played at Hope College helped OWU reach that game, and then they got by Christopher Newport in PKs in a game played in 50 mph winds in the Elite 8.   OWU was still good in 2015 but Kenyon was better and Kenyon was definitely stronger in 2016 and 2017.

I would pick OWU this year myself.  OWU has had young talent that now should be matured.  And Kenyon lost Carmona, apparently to transfer, which is an enormous loss since Carmona arguably would have been the best player in the NCAC (if not Lowry).  Your post was a little deceptive, though.  Yes, 6 setbacks if you count draws but only 3 losses.  I don't think there is any question that the outcome with Otterbein would have been different if Myers had not torn his ACL the game before versus Transy.  Even so, Kenyon dominated play and outshot Otterbein 19-6.  I would agree that last year's edition was a hair (or two) weaker than the prior couple of years, but they had the best NCAA draw they've had in the past 5 years.  Major missed opportunity but they lost their chance to win the whole thing when Myers went down.  I get why you say Kenyon was descending but I'm not sure I see why you saw OWU as ascending....yes, they won a PK shootout where both teams were awful but without that "win" they weren't going to get a bid for the first time in forever, after a year when they finished out of the top 4 in the conference.

I would expect OWU and Kenyon to be neck and neck this year, with the nod going to OWU.  We'll see what Brown does with Kenyon over the next 2-3 years and whether the Lords can sustain a legit heavyweight to heavyweight rivalry.  Will also be interesting to see what happens with OWU if and when Martin retires. 

And watch out for Wabash.  That coach seems to have something going in Crawfordsville.

Domino1195

Merry New Year everyone!! Just saw the JCU-Kenyon game, sitting in a bar in Granville awaiting the Denison-Carnegie Mellon game (edit - my bad).

JCU lost a lot last year due to graduation. Then Pariente transfers to Cleve St. Who will pick up the scoring for them is a huge question. Today senior leaders Rozsits and Kannakkannitt (check the spelling - may had missed 7 k's, a's or t's) out with injuries; starting wing back gets the flu this morning - they started 8 freshman and sophomores. But Kenyon looked great and got to use many of their younger players for a better part of the game. #22 and #29 are slightly built but blazingly fast and quick. And their high press caused trouble for JCU who just couldn't complete enough passes to break out and attack.

midwest

@domino1195 . . . and that would be the Broadway Pub, I suppose?

Domino1195

Last one left in town!

I lied - just checked into Three Tigers for one more before the games

Domino1195

Denison 1-0 at half off corner. Dropping 7 behind the ball- CMU lots of possession - winning corners - Denison is bunkered in