MBB: Colonial States Athletic Conference

Started by Coach C, April 08, 2005, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

Saturday is senior day.  Good luck to seniors John Boyd, Cory Lemons and Greg Zabel.  Here's hoping that GZ gets a ton of points on Saturday for his last game at home.  Saturday is also Alumni game.  It will be great to get back together with fellow alumnae. 

GO CAVS!!!
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Swisscheese

Last time Cabrini ran table in conference undefeated was in early-mid 90's , they will have a tall task at hand when they visit Keystone, hope if Cabrini can pull it off they get to host a round or two for the NCAA tourney if they can win the conference. 

mailsy

Greg Z did have a 'ton' of points career high 21.  Refs had an easy day yesterday.  Noone yelled at them (much) caught someone :o giving the refs a hard time.  ;D  Fun day overall Lady Cavs win and get in the playoffs.  Men easily win with a chance to go undefeated in the CSAC.  The chance to be the first team in the "CSAC" to do it and Cavs first chance since the mid 90's.  Also the team I helped 'coach' won the annual alumni game.  A fun night out and looking forward to the upcoming CSAC Tourney.

GO CAVS!!!

Swisscheese

Even if Cavs lose a game and lose the conference, would it be safe to say they would still get into the tourney under different bid due to their record?

mailsy

Quote from: Swisscheese on February 13, 2012, 07:55:44 PM
Even if Cavs lose a game and lose the conference, would it be safe to say they would still get into the tourney under different bid due to their record?

The answer is probably, however, let Keystone be the one sweating it to see if they get in.  Just win the conference championship and no one rooting for the Cavs will worry.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I think it is a very safe chance Cabrini gets in if they go the rest of the season without a loss and take a loss in the conference tournament. That would be only their second loss... however, it could make it tough to host because more teams enter the equation.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mailsy

Cavs now ranked 6th!!   Best ever ranking!! :)

Swisscheese

Interesting Dave, so losing to a team with a lower strength of schedule would hurt Cabrini more than losing to say Keystone? ( Hypothetically they could lose to a Rosemont or a Nueman in playoffs even if they beat Keystone)  However if Cabrini would run the table, win conference, and retain the #1 regional spot would probably host one round, is it then possible to host a sectional (Sweet16) with the facility at Radnor or does it depend on the pod or the money to be made selling out at a larger facility with a larger fanbase?  In additon the location to opponents?

Coach C

I kind of doubt that Cabrini's facility, given the locker room constraints, could host a sectional.  It's a wonderful place to play a small college basketball game, but the team spaces are a bit tight for that many teams.  The folks there did a great job hosing the pod last year, but the step up is a steep one!

As for whether they're in or not, my gut says they can lose 2 and still be in with some help, lose one and anywhere I think the Cavs still dance, but the safe play is to win out!

C

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Swiss... losing hurts, period because it adds another regional loss to your record. Losing also does not bloster your SOS in any way, even to a bad team. Honestly, losing to Keystone will hurt a bit more because Keystone will then have a win vs. Cabrini in the "results vs. regionally ranked opponents." That means when it comes to deciding who is where on the rankings... Cabrini could fall behind Keystone - though there are other factors like that SOS that come into play.

I agree with Coach C... I think they can take a loss and be okay... but a second loss and they could be in trouble, especially if there are a number of upsets of teams that pretty much a lock to get into the NCAA tournament.

The problem is that Cabrini's SOS is not stellar... it's good... but not stellar and that can make it a challenge when comparing them to other national teams come selection time.

Also, not sure about the Sectional Round... I have seen teams get it with facilities that weren't terrific (everyone talks about the fact Rochester has hosted despite not a lot of room around their basketball court - especially off the end lines), but at the same time if it is between them and another school that has a better facility, that other school will probably be picked, no matter where they rank compared to Cabrini.

There is also the factor of who is in the bracket with Cabrini... remember last year St. Mary's and Middlebury had to travel to Rochester to play in the sectional. Middlebury was technically "1" and St. Mary's was technically "2"... but because it would have meant flying St. Mary's to Middlebury... the sectional was moved to Rochester to allow just a bus trip - these are key factors when it comes to hosting the sectionals.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Coach C

Umm - first let me say that I meant to say 'hosting' and not 'hosing.'

Second, there is no way ANYONE in the MA is flying anywhere, so DMac is right on saying that sectionals located in areas central to the two regions involved will have an advantage to the hosting discussion.

Swisscheese

Thank you Gentlemen, that clears that up.  Guess its time to just wait and see what happens and how 500 miles can play a role in who hosts.   So if Radnor is located centrally amongst the teams in the bracket this means hosting a second round is still possible despite facility constraints.   Sometimes its easier to lose one or two and get that monkey off your back I guess......lol.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I will remind Coach C that St. Mary's flew to St. Louis for the Sectionals a few years back... BUT SMC had SHOCKED everyone by beating Guilford in the first round - clearly no one saw that coming! :)

Swisscheese

Guess tonights Cabrini vs Keystone game is still a big one with implications for the post season. Although F&M is stacked with some bigs, and will be a tall order for anyone especially if they are underated. 

As I have heard before gaurds can beat bigs so it should be interesting if there is a Cabrini F&M game some where down the road. 

D.B. Cooper

F&M does have some athletic "bigs" in Salandra & Gyokchyan. But clearly Dips best player is 4 year starter and All-American (1st, 2nd or 3d team depending on the source) Georgio Milligan. He is about 6'1" and has led the team in scoring, blocked shots and this year he leads the conference in 3 point shooting %. If Cabrini is not physical inside there could be issues with F&M. I've not seen Cavs this year and am sure they play a nice athletic uptempo game. A key to this theoretical match-up is whether Porter 6'3" a great athlete and/or Milligan could contain Lemons, who I've seen in prior years and he is excellent. Cavs coach said to McHugh on Hoopsville that he thought they matched up well with Dips based on a film of the Neumann game (1st game of the year). Based on the horrible way F&M played that game I thought they might be a 14 win team, needless to say they found Salandra their stride. It would be a great game, nice if it were to happen locally.
Here's to both teams winning out till they play each other.