Around the East board (ideas, comments, etc.)

Started by dewcrew88, September 16, 2009, 03:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewcrew88

Thought about starting one of these for a couple years as a one-stop shop for story ideas, kudos, comments, you suck's, corrections, or anything else dealing with my Around the East regional column. Ryan Tipps, the South columnist, also has a board for his column, and it's been cool in the short time it's been up, so I thought I would borrow (read: take) his idea.

So, what do you think of the column? Ways to make it better? Any ideas from schools I can't get out to? Let me hear what you have to say.

Adam Samrov
d3football.com Around the East columnist

dlippiel

Well DC let dlip be the first to say, like he has before, that ATE is his favorite weekly release by D3 football.com. Some reasons are because dlip bleeds Garnet, cares about anything having to do with the Garnet(which happens to be in the East Region), and really enjoys the way the column is written. If dlip had to make any suggestions he would say:
-keep coming up with your top ten East Regional poll
-point out and discuss important upcoming East Region games for the week
-make your picks for those games
-look for some unique player stories, we have some seriously hard core academic institutions here in the east and student athletes who work their asses off and make huge sacrifices on a daily basis to compete
-keep doing what you are doing because dlip thinks its great

Reno Hightower

DC, there is 1 story at Union that I think hasnt ever been brought up. Union has 2 players on its team who hail from New Orleans and were recruited after Hurricane Katrina. Im not sure if either of them list that as their hometown now in their online bios/roster or whatever, so this could be why it hasnt been mentioned. But they are Jared Gourrier and Sean Conerly. Could be a very interesting story involving 1 of the worst tragedies in American History and how these 2 fine young men would up at Union College all the way in NY!
Id be very interested as all I know is that they hail from NOLA......for what its worth!

dlippiel

Quote from: Reno Hightower on September 16, 2009, 05:37:41 PM
DC, there is 1 story at Union that I think hasnt ever been brought up. Union has 2 players on its team who hail from New Orleans and were recruited after Hurricane Katrina. Im not sure if either of them list that as their hometown now in their online bios/roster or whatever, so this could be why it hasnt been mentioned. But they are Jared Gourrier and Sean Conerly. Could be a very interesting story involving 1 of the worst tragedies in American History and how these 2 fine young men would up at Union College all the way in NY!
Id be very interested as all I know is that they hail from NOLA......for what its worth!

On top of this Jared Gourrier (not sure about Conerly) volunteers at my elementary school (as do other Dutch) and has been nothing short of fantastic with the children. If one is looking for a role model Jared is as good as they come.

dewcrew88

Quote from: Reno Hightower on September 16, 2009, 05:37:41 PM

Excellent idea, reno. Thanks.  :)

redswarm81

Quote from: dewcrew88 on September 16, 2009, 03:42:04 PM

So, what do you think of the column? Ways to make it better? Any ideas from schools I can't get out to? Let me hear what you have to say.

Adam Samrov
d3football.com Around the East columnist

In 1985 (when the East Region's answer to Jimmy Olsen was still in diapers), the Coca-Cola Company announced that it was ceasing production of its original formula, which would be replaced by New Coke, described by a Coca-Cola executive as "smoother, uh, uh, yet, uh, rounder yet, uh, bolder ... it has a more harmonious flavor. "  Public outcry over the formula change was so great that the original formula Coke was reintroduced less than 3 months after it had been terminated.

Here's some public outcry.  Bring back predictions!
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

theoriginalupstate

redswarm81

Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

AUKaz00

Not to be picky, but Union is 2-1 (it's your Pioneers that are 2-2).  And can Utica really be resurgent?
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

dlippiel

Hey DC nice job as always! dlip always enjoys the predictions because of the amount of talk they stir up. By the way, no way Bizarroneers walk into Frank Bailey Saturday night and come away with a W. dlip feels this game will be close but the U is hungry and dlip feels The U "O" wakes up and the D holds Swanton up enough to get the W. dlip made his predictions on "In the Huddle" last Sunday night thanks to Frank Rossi opening up his arms up to a local boy and including him!

dewcrew88

Quote from: AUKaz00 on October 01, 2009, 10:31:19 AM
Not to be picky, but Union is 2-1 (it's your Pioneers that are 2-2).  And can Utica really be resurgent?

Oops. I thought Union played four games, and then never remembered to change it... and maybe the pioneers are surgent? is that a word?  :D

SJFF82

Note:  SJF lost on the road.....and will likely continue to do so :'(

Doid23

I like your weekly report. And hey, if you want to throw Utica in there every week, do what you gotta do, it's your column, and you include everyone else as well so I see no problems with it.

dlippiel

DC great article this week, your best one yet of the season. dlip is loving the predicitons as well as the great story on Alex Smith. It will be interesting with him now competing against Woodard for the starting job having just been coaching him earlier in the season. Anyway thanks again for the time, effort, and thoroughness of your ATE article.

dewcrew88

Quote from: dlippiel on October 08, 2009, 12:06:57 PM
DC great article this week, your best one yet of the season. dlip is loving the predicitons as well as the great story on Alex Smith. It will be interesting with him now competing against Woodard for the starting job having just been coaching him earlier in the season. Anyway thanks again for the time, effort, and thoroughness of your ATE article.

Thanks.. figured i had to make it good after all of Frank's comments...  ;)