MIAA chat

Started by Trailer Dog, July 19, 2006, 07:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knight2Day

Quote from: sflzman on September 08, 2011, 08:53:44 PM
Calvin loses again by big numbers!

6-1 against Wheaton. Calvin has given up 18 goals in 3 games this season. They allowed 7 all of last year
[/quote

Was at the game, Calvin played poorly in the first half but they actually came together a bit in the second half, especially in the final 20 minutes. Still a very young team but the good news for them is that they have played 2 top 10 teams and the #16 team in the country with an entirely different team essentially. I would be surprised to not see Calvin in the top 4 in the conference and, come conf. tourny time, making a move towards the NCAA's/

woacfan

Looks like Olivet lost a lot of players to graduation.  Watched the JCU game tonight and Olivet had a rough go.  However, for any Olivet fans out there looking for a silver lining they had some nice Freshmen on the pitch and their freshman keeper is excellent.  They will get better.
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

Dark Knight

The knights pick up their first win of the season and give up "only" two goals -- the lowest opponent score of the season by two!

The knights played the 6th-toughest schedule nationally in their first three games according to Massey. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference the easier MIAA schedule and/or additional experience for the freshmen will make.

Dark Knight

Massey ratings for MIAA soccer:

Alma #69
Adrian #85
Hope #110
Calvin #139
Kalamazoo #189
St Mary's #191
Olivet #289
Albion #307
Trine #312

Notes:

- Calvin's schedule so far is the 20th most difficult nationally

- Calvin's defense was only weaker than the offense by "1" -- offense #24, defense #241.

sflzman

Alma defeats Calvin 2-1 on goals by Elaine Cunningham and Carly Reising. Calvins goal was by Liz Cancel
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Dark Knight

Very nice result for Kalamazoo yesterday, tying D3hoops.com #3 Wheaton 0-0 at Joe Bean stadium. Massey had predicted a 3-0 outcome for Wheaton.

Wheaton beat Calvin 6-1 earlier this season.

Kalamazoo had moved up to 4th in Massey's ranking of the MIAA, just ahead of Calvin, even before this result.

Calvin plays at Kalamazoo on Thursday.

sflzman

Quote from: Dark Knight on October 04, 2011, 12:07:21 PM
Very nice result for Kalamazoo yesterday, tying D3hoops.com #3 Wheaton 0-0 at Joe Bean stadium. Massey had predicted a 3-0 outcome for Wheaton.

Wheaton beat Calvin 6-1 earlier this season.

Kalamazoo had moved up to 4th in Massey's ranking of the MIAA, just ahead of Calvin, even before this result.

Calvin plays at Kalamazoo on Thursday.

Hmmm basketball seems to have started a little early this year  ;) :P ;D

sflzman

Alma falls to Capital 1-0 at Wheaton. Wheaton then defeated Capital 2-0 to move on to the sweet 16.

The scots were definately a better team than Capital, they just couldn't find the back of the net.

woacfan

May I respectfully disagree with your comments on Alma and Capitol?  The Capitol keeper is the OAC keeper of the year and it's very much a part of Capitol's game to rely on her to make saves.  Capitol's strength was on the counter-attack and they rely on opportunism.  A team can dominate possession and shots and still not be "a better team".  JCU found that out two weeks ago.  That's decided by the score; and Capitol's strength was knowing their strengths.  I am not taking anything from Alma, but you do Capitol a disservice by not giving them credit due.

Wheaton was the better team and deserved the win.
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

thunder38

after watching the alma/capital game i would have to also respectfully disagree with your assessment of friday night's game.  capital was one of the better team's i've seen all season at defending as a unit and the movement in their defensive lines was beautiful to watch.  alma's attack seemed to hinge on reising's ability to make plays and individual play alone isn't going to beat a well-organized defense such as capital's.  alma also refused to commit many players to the attack for the first 75-80 minutes of the game and seemed to be constantly outnumbered on the attack.  maggie donnellan for capital was one of the most athletic keepers wheaton has seen all year as you could see by coach felske calling her aside as she came out to compliment her play.

congrats to the scots on a fine season and making your tournament debut.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

sflzman

Okay I take back the comment of "better team" and will use "dominating team" Alma had possession most of the game and had capitals d scrambling. The keeper is very talented indeed but honestly take away her I don't think capitals a tournament team. But keepers r such a large part in the game. Monica Witt was a HUGE part to almas success this year and I don't think capitals one goal finds net with Witt in her normal spot. But injuries happen that's part of the game.

Congrats to capital they are a very solid team. And congrats to Wheaton for the sweet 16 birth. I really was hoping alma could get a win last Friday as I have a huge spot in my heart for this senior class.

Anyways, good luck to Wheaton.
And go scots

MIAAn Man

I thought the first half was pretty even, but Capital absorbed a little more pressure in the second half (and seemed to be fine with doing so).  Reising was the best player on the field by far IMO, and she'll be missed.  Which brings me to the question...

MIAA predictions for 2012?

sflzman

Interesting that Baldwin-Wallace announces an all-sport post-season ban today:

http://d3hoops.com/notables/2012/10/baldwin-wallace-postseason-ban

Then tonight Saint Mary's women's soccer vacates their bid in this year's MIAA tournament after they take down K-zoo in a must-win for them this afternoon.

(miaa.org for the "extent" of the details for that one)

Also anybody have details on the WOS saying Sam Barker has been kicked off of Adrian's squad?

MIAAn Man

Wow, hadn't heard about the BW situation, that's a big deal with possibly more to come from the NCAA.  Too bad for St. Mary's, they had a great year this year, very organized and difficult to score on... set up perfectly for a shootout or two.  WOS on Sam Barker is that she was suspended for the rest of the season for violation of team rules.  Gutsy move, but they seem to be doing fine without her all things considered.  Tournament this weekend should be a great one, seedings are practically irrelevant.

northb

Calvin Women defeat Hope 2-1 in overtime to win the MIAA tournament!
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain