FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Words or Less

Stay Strong Central Iowa

MUC57

5 Words or Less

My heart goes out to the people of Iowa. Your pictures clearly show the destruction caused by the recent storms and tornados. I can't imagine the heartache of seeing your home destroyed or places of business being wiped out!. I know the thoughts and prayers of me and many other Americans will be with Iowans.
This state has been through serious storms before and always survived and rebuilt. You will this time too! Damn, Iowans are tough. Good luck and the best to ya! 🙏🇺🇸
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

doolittledog

Local radio interview with UD alum Michael Joseph at Bears camp.  If you listened live you would have heard occasional poster Sportsknight do the lead in to the interview ;)

https://kdth.radiodubuque.com/former-u-d-all-american-michael-joseph-in-bears-camp/
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

DBQ1965

I didn't watch all of the Bears-Ravens HOF game, but did see enough to watch former UD defensive back Michael Joseph get a good amount of playing time.  On one very good tackle he got mentioned by the broadcasters though no mention of UD.  I don't know how he will be "scored" by the Bears coaching staff, but for what its worth, thought he performed well. 
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

doolittledog

Saw a tweet today that the Iowa Conference will announce this week they will become the "American Rivers Conference"
Also mentioned the possibility of adding a Missouri school.
Don't know if either will be true. I really, really, really hope this will not happen. If the Big Ten can keep that name with 14 schools, the Iowa Conference should keep their name even with a Nebraska school.
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Fannosaurus Rex

What is this Missouri you speak of?  I thought that was Baja Iowa down there.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

5 Words or Less

5 Words or Less

American River College, Sacramento California

doolittledog

It was reported by a Cedar Rapids Gazette writer, so I guess this has a good chance of happening.  Not a fan of the name change.  I think you have to be careful with out of state expansion as well.  Westminster has a history with Winston Churchill giving his Iron Curtain speech.  But Fulton, MO is a heck of a drive into the middle of nowhere.  The school has a $56million endowment so they aren't exactly a wealthy school.   

Pat Coleman

Westminster would be taking a huge jump up athletically with that move. But they are trying to improve their facilities.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

doolittledog

I suppose William Jewell  could be a possibility?  They went from the NAIA to D2 a few years ago.  I thought I heard they were in a bit of trouble with their accreditation due to financial troubles though. 

doolittledog

IIAC tweets big announcement Thursday at noon central.

AndOne

Quote from: doolittledog on August 05, 2018, 08:39:14 PM
Saw a tweet today that the Iowa Conference will announce this week they will become the "American Rivers Conference"
Also mentioned the possibility of adding a Missouri school.
Don't know if either will be true. I really, really, really hope this will not happen. If the Big Ten can keep that name with 14 schools, the Iowa Conference should keep their name even with a Nebraska school.

What about the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers Conference? Or just the Missouri River conference—after all, the Missouri touches both of the states that contain conference members.
Seriously, neither is a good choice, but neither is any more hokey than American Rivers Conference.(just how many rivers are they talking about anyway?) 👎

As far as just keeping the Iowa Conference name, I don't think you could complain if it was changed to something like the Iowa Nebraska Conference (CCIN?). Seems to work well for the CCIW.
Making no mention of the Nebraska member of the conference seems like a dose of disrespect—especially considering that NWU's 2018 National Men's Basketball Championship is something the IIAC, or whatever it morphs into, is surely going to be crowing very loudly about for the foreseeable future. 😏

Doesn't adding another school from Missouri or anywhere else seem like something that would take at least a year?

doolittledog

I think where it gets difficult for some on here is how stable the Iowa Conference has been.  There are 4 original members in the conference.  Another 2 that joined in the 1920's.  Another one that joined in the 1930's.  Even Coe has been in for 20 years.  My grandparents had siblings that were playing in the conference back in the 1930's.  The IIAC is ingrained in many Iowans mind.  No school has been beyond a fairly easy drive to go see your team play.  Now we're getting away from that with the addition of NWU, and now maybe a school from Missouri.  I'm not saying this change is wrong.  You just have to realize for many on here this is hard to fathom as a new reality.  Some will even question if this is needed.  I'm still leaning towards the traditional.  Though I'm now gray, with a receding hairline, a dad bod, and children that will too soon for my liking, be out of the house and on their own.   

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: doolittledog on August 06, 2018, 07:38:55 PM
I think where it gets difficult for some on here is how stable the Iowa Conference has been.  There are 4 original members in the conference.  Another 2 that joined in the 1920's.  Another one that joined in the 1930's.  Even Coe has been in for 20 years.  My grandparents had siblings that were playing in the conference back in the 1930's.  The IIAC is ingrained in many Iowans mind.  No school has been beyond a fairly easy drive to go see your team play.  Now we're getting away from that with the addition of NWU, and now maybe a school from Missouri.  I'm not saying this change is wrong.  You just have to realize for many on here this is hard to fathom as a new reality.  Some will even question if this is needed.  I'm still leaning towards the traditional.  Though I'm now gray, with a receding hairline, a dad bod, and children that will too soon for my liking, be out of the house and on their own.   

That won't necessarily happen.  We still see our 26-year-old at least twice a week; our about-to-be 30-year-old at least once a month (after all, he's the one raising all our grandkids!)