Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlawus

SLU did beat Rowan this year.  While they weren't ranked when they beat them Rown was ranked team for a few weeks after.  I'm not sure if the committee takes that into account though. 

Mr.Right

It would only matter if Rowan is regionally ranked come tomorrow or more importantly in 2 weeks. IMO Rowan will not be ranked unless they can beat Kean. SLU is partially to blame for their own scheduling debacle. Had they had U of Rochester and Oneonta St on their schedule there 8-3-2 record with a game v Skidmore would look much better to the committee.

SandyMac

Rochester chose not to renew the agreement this year, not SLU. Rochester wasn't a fan of playing Friday-Saturday, as UAA usually plays Friday-Sunday.

Agreed, SLU needs to beat Skidmore this weekend, especially at home. They're lucky to have their fate in their own hands at this point with 3 losses already on the books. Win out.

stlawus

Thrilling finish to RPI-Skidmore.  RPI scores the game winner with 15 seconds left in the second OT. 

Saint of Old

Game felt like Skidmore sat back for the tie (which would probably be enough for them to clinch.

Now they must face ST. Lawrence and a hungry Vassar coming up.

I cannot recall a time when the league was so tight.

Only Clarkson and Bard are done.
Union still has life and a game in hand.
RPI needed that win last night to still have some hope.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 20, 2015, 12:37:05 PM
Liberty League most certainly deserves 3 teams.

Hobart, Skidmore and SLU...

They will not get 3 teams. The AQ obviously and then possibly 1 Pool C which would either be Skidmore and Hobart who have far better resumes than SLU. If Skidmore beats or even draws with SLU they should be all set.

SLU must get the AQ as their only win v ranked is Plattsburgh and / or beating Skidmore...If that happens than SLU would bump Skidmore

Skidmore isn't good....9-3-1? Come on Mr. Right you know better than this. They are probably the 4th best team in the LL. This league will get 2. Shouldn't get any more.

Ommadawn

The Skidmore loss last night opens the door for SLU to win out, win the regular season, and host the postseason tournament as the #1 seed.  Skidmore faces Bard not Vassar (Skidmore beat Vassar 1-0), but that will be inconsequential if the Saints do what they are capable of doing.  Over a full season, the superior talent and depth of SLU has allowed the cream to rise to the top as they have adjusted to Coach Toshack.  From what I have seen, only Hobart has the quality and depth to stay with SLU.  Of course, anything can happen in a one-game, winner-take-all final situation!  Here's my breakdown of the contenders:

SLU --  I expect the Saints to win out and end up with 18 points

Hobart  --  I expect the Statesmen to win out and end up with 17 points

Skidmore  --  I expect the Thoroughbreds to lose to SLU, win against Bard, and tie Union to end up with 16 points

RPI -- I expect the Engineers to beat Vassar and end up with 14 points

RIT -- I expect the Tigers to lose to Hobart and tie Union to end up with 13 points

Union -- I expect the Dutchmen to tie RIT, beat Vassar, and tie Skidmore to end up with 11 points

Vassar  --  I expect the Brewers to lose to RPI, lose to Union, and beat Bard to end up with 9 points

Mr.Right

I have seen Skidmore numerous times and to say they are not good is a JOKE....They are very athletic and well coached. They are organized and drop very deep after losing the ball. They are a bit anemic offensively but they have some great athletes that can get the job done. I have said this numerous times but I will repeat it because you are most likely to lazy to read prior posts. Skidmore can hold its own against the best of D3 but they would not be able to score goals against them...Now if they had Beek this year they would be a Top 15 team in the Nation. The problem with Beek was he would only show up for the "big" games and disappear for the others....ANYWAY

Mr.Right

SLU better get the AQ because they are not going to get a Pool C...

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 22, 2015, 03:03:40 PM
I have seen Skidmore numerous times and to say they are not good is a JOKE....They are very athletic and well coached. They are organized and drop very deep after losing the ball. They are a bit anemic offensively but they have some great athletes that can get the job done. I have said this numerous times but I will repeat it because you are most likely to lazy to read prior posts. Skidmore can hold its own against the best of D3 but they would not be able to score goals against them...Now if they had Beek this year they would be a Top 15 team in the Nation. The problem with Beek was he would only show up for the "big" games and disappear for the others....ANYWAY

Not lazy. Just new to the boards. That's just like saying if Messiah had their whole team from last year that they would be really good instead of just good this year. A lot of teams could be better if they had a player or two from previous years...holding their own and having a chance to win are two different things.

Mr.Right

Skidmore and Messiah are 2 different animals....I said Skidmore can hold their own this year BUT if they happened to have BEEK this year they would be a FORCE this year...Never did I mention Messiah

Sandy

Ehh, I wasn't particularly impressed with Skidmore after watching the game last night. RPI was pretty even with them and probably created more quality scoring chances as well. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though since they played at home on their awful turf field. The ball was bouncing around everywhere. Last night's game was very much a kick and run type off affair probably due to the conditions.

SandyMac

Saw that Skidmore loss coming from a mile away. A SLU win at home and taking care of Clarkson gives them home field through the postseason, which has traditionally worked out pretty well for them.  Going to be an exciting last week of competition! Would love to see a Hobart-SLU title game...not quite sure how that hasn't happened yet

TheSwayzeTrain

Quote from: SandyMac on October 23, 2015, 09:38:57 AM
Saw that Skidmore loss coming from a mile away. A SLU win at home and taking care of Clarkson gives them home field through the postseason, which has traditionally worked out pretty well for them.  Going to be an exciting last week of competition! Would love to see a Hobart-SLU title game...not quite sure how that hasn't happened yet

Hobart hasn't been good enough when they have needed to be. Another team in the league that struggles to consistently find goals. Could be their downfall again.

Mr.Right

I was shocked to see RPI beat Skidmore...I thought Skidmore to be a better team but hey stuff happens....RPI is still in major trouble for qualifying for the LL tournament....Hobart has been my sleeper team all year as they are a bit anemic but they are physical and the Frosh Derrick Acheampong is the real deal...A couple Nescac's wanted him but could not get him thru admissions. He can score big goals for Hobart even as a frosh and they will be a very tough out come tournament time and I believe they are a NCAA team.