Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deutschfan

Thanks Omma.  SLU also up but listing just one freshman. I assume that is because there may be cuts before the end of pre-season.

Part_Bart

Ithaca's 2017 roster is also up: 11 freshman on squad of 29. 
Curious to see how the new coach and new players (including at least one D1 transfer) make their way through the league schedule.

Hobart scrimmages Oswego (who has a new coach and high hopes) on Tuesday evening.

stlawus

SLU's roster is up.  Guys ranging from Maine to Spain to Kenya.  I knew Tosh was really branching out for recruiting this year, brought in a good haul.  Can't wait for the action to start this weekend!

deutschfan

Most of rosters up.  A couple of observations.  First, an apparent dearth of USSDA players.  The ability of NESCAC and UAA schools, as well as other historical d3 powerhouses to grab them will detriment LL teams come dance time.  Second, comparing the classes of Vassar and SLU, last year's two dance participants, raises the age-old question does size matter (which it obviously does to Coach Tosch).  SLU brought in 11 players averaging 177 pounds and Vassar's class of 10 averages 154.  The freshman classes physicality difference shouldn't have much impact this year, and we all know one of the best players on the planet is a diminutive soul, but down the road it will be interesting to see if loading up on big bodies is important to d3 success. 

Ommadawn

Quote from: deutschfan on August 29, 2017, 10:12:33 AM
Most of rosters up.  A couple of observations.  First, an apparent dearth of USSDA players.  The ability of NESCAC and UAA schools, as well as other historical d3 powerhouses to grab them will detriment LL teams come dance time.  Second, comparing the classes of Vassar and SLU, last year's two dance participants, raises the age-old question does size matter (which it obviously does to Coach Tosch).  SLU brought in 11 players averaging 177 pounds and Vassar's class of 10 averages 154.  The freshman classes physicality difference shouldn't have much impact this year, and we all know one of the best players on the planet is a diminutive soul, but down the road it will be interesting to see if loading up on big bodies is important to d3 success.

Great observations, Deutschfan!  I'm not sure why more USSDA players don't choose LL schools.  Not all of the LL schools attend the USSDA showcases, but I know that at least some of the LL schools regularly get USSDA players to do campus visits.  In toe-to-toe competition for USSDA recruits between NESCAC and LL schools, NESCAC wins out most of the time.  Union's roster isn't up yet, but one of their new recruits has a MLS academy background. 

I loved your "deep dive" into SLU and Vassar biometric data.  If nothing else, SLU should be ready to pummel the Brewers into submission over the next four years!  Your analysis is an interesting complement to the point raised by Blooter regarding Coach Shapiro's prioritizing of athleticism over soccer skill in his initial recruiting efforts in the NESCAC thread.

deutschfan

You have identified the conundrum for the D3 coach.  The big, fast, skilled soccer player goes D1.  The next level includes the big players who are lack speed or touch, and the players that are too small for D1, but are fast and skilled.  Over 4 years is it easier to improve the deficiencies in the big players or the smaller ones?  Obviously you can't add height and putting additional weight on smaller frames typically reduces speed and quickness.  I think most coaches will take the physical specimen because of the larger developmental upside so to speak.  Regarding the USSDA your takes are right on.  Hobart posted its roster and has a multi-year USSDA player in Kyle Mangold with international experience.  How did he wind up at Hobart?  He chose to play high school his senior year, probably much to the chagrin of his club coaches, and tore his ACL in the third game.  That was probably a deal breaker for the D1 schools.  It will be interesting to watch his career.  Sometimes you never come close to where you were after an ACL tear.  On the other hand if he fully recovers this could be a major recruiting coup for the Statesmen who are looking very formidable this year.   

deutschfan

Union roster lists Poom Mera, Rhode Island's Gatorade POY, as well as formerly of the New England Revolution's Academy program.  What a great get for the Union staff.  Amazing given Union's lack of recent success.   

Ommadawn

Quote from: deutschfan on August 31, 2017, 02:10:44 PM
Union roster lists Poom Mera, Rhode Island's Gatorade POY, as well as formerly of the New England Revolution's Academy program.  What a great get for the Union staff.  Amazing given Union's lack of recent success.

He is the player I was referring to in my post on Tuesday.  It will be interesting to see how he combines with Strauss and Lopez.  He's a very skilled player who was cut by the Revs after his freshman year, but obviously experienced success in high school and club soccer thereafter.  As with many first year players, he'll likely need to bulk up a bit for the sake of resilience.   

stlawus

Babson is up on SLU 2-1 at the half.  Babson is playing well but it's been a long time since I've seen a team have that much luck in a half.  Every bounce and deflection has gone their way.  2nd half should be fun.

EasyGoer27

I would agree SLU have been the better side but very competitive game.

stlawus

Quite poor performance by SLU to lose 3-2.  Not taking anything away from Babson, they played well.  There appears to be a lack of X factor on this SLU squad.  Still no offensive threat on this team. 

Kick-grass

SLU missing that central Midfielder that controls the team...Provost, Demello, Bednarsky, etc

stlawus

Quote from: Kick-grass on September 01, 2017, 08:47:29 PM
SLU missing that central Midfielder that controls the team...Provost, Demello, Bednarsky, etc

Indeed.  Really appreciating how spoiled this program has been by having players like the ones you mentioned.

blooter442

Quote from: stlawus on September 01, 2017, 06:20:20 PM
Quite poor performance by SLU to lose 3-2.  Not taking anything away from Babson, they played well.  There appears to be a lack of X factor on this SLU squad.  Still no offensive threat on this team.

Didn't see the game, but it looks like SLU dominated the stats. With that in mind, I can definitely see the perspective of the aforementioned post saying that the Beavers had all the bounces in the first half.

Babson scored 3 goals, which, for a team that has had trouble scoring in recent memory, maybe represents the turning of a corner. Then again, given their history in recent seasons, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Beavers beat SLU only to lose to Clarkson. A win over SLU is nothing to scoff at, but it was at home, where Babson has played well over the years. Next week they have two tough away tests at Tufts and Brandeis, which will I think be more comprehensive indicators of the team's potential.