FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderdog

Quote from: USee on December 01, 2019, 09:18:04 PM
Ha. Go to NCC game in Naperville, better spots there.

I concur... all SJU fans should go to the DelVal vs NCC game  ;D

DustySJU

Quote from: thunderdog on December 01, 2019, 09:26:25 PM

I concur... all SJU fans should go to the DelVal vs NCC game  ;D

Funny. All the fans will be at the Johnnie Game.
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

USee

#3 Wheaton vs #9 St Johns:

Wheaton #1 Total Defense and  #1 Scoring Defense against St Johns #4 Total Offense (Mt Union and NCC are 1 and 2) and #13 Scoring Offense
Wheaton #1 Pass Defense Efficiency vs St Johns #6 Passing Offense Efficiency

St Johns #23 Total Defense and #19 Scoring Defense vs Wheaton #10 Total Offense and #8 Scoring Offense

And most importantly, Wheaton's #1 Kick Off Return unit against St Johns #135 ranked KOR defense.

Should be an epic game.

USee

NCC get's to face the #2 Total Defense in the nation again this Saturday. Delaware Valley took over that spot as of late last Saturday.

wally_wabash

Quote from: USee on December 01, 2019, 09:45:33 PM
St Johns #23 Total Defense and #19 Scoring Defense vs Wheaton #10 Total Offense and #8 Scoring Offense

Wheaton's DL vs. Erdmann is going to dominate the chatter this week, but this right here I think is the key to the game.  Wheaton can flat out score.  Luke Anthony out Rutter'd Rutter earlier this year and TJ Williams is a top level RB in the division.  I don't think St. John's figuring out how to get to 21 or 24 is going to be enough.  They have to solve Wheaton's pass rush and they'll have to do it quickly to keep up. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

USee

Actually, St Johns sack attack is higher rated than Wheaton's (#23 vs #30). But the 4 down linemen from Wheaton are each individually among the top 15 in the nation for DL in TFL and total tackles. Holiday, who gets less recognition than DPOY McCrae, is 2nd on the team in tackles. That's certainly the strength of this defense. I would put St Johns OLine right up there with NCC right now as I think they are a dominant group. That will be strength on strength and fun to watch.

Getting to Erdman with 4 while protecting against the big play will be the game plan coming in.

Mugsy

Quote from: DustySJU on December 01, 2019, 09:07:32 PM
Boys;  We're bringing in a crew from SJU Saturday and looking for a solid recommendation for pregame.

You're thoughts?

Developing.....

All joking aside, Naperville does have significantly more options.  But here are some closer options:

Warren's Ale House – 1.5 miles due south of campus.  Wide range of pub food options, large selection of draft and bottled brews, reasonable number of tv's 
The Burger Social – Downtown Wheaton, awesome burgers, apps, sandwiches, draft brews
Ivy – Downtown Wheaton, slightly more upscale, American chophouse, seafood, pasta, but relaxed setting. Not sure it opens before noon.
Bricks Wood Fired Pizza – Downtown Wheaton, not your Chicago style pizza, but good wood fired pizza's in casual setting
Giordano's – 2.5 miles east of campus, Chicago style pizza
302 Wheaton – Downtown Wheaton, recently opened with burgers and large selection of craft beers
Emmett's Brewing Company – Downtown Wheaton, pub food, large selection of draft and bottled brews, a bit higher priced
Buttermilk – 4 or so miles south of Wheaton (half way to NCC), outstanding breakfast options
Augustino's Rock and Roll Deli – 3 miles north of campus, outstanding, made to order deli sandwiches

USee mentioned Front Street Cocina. While great option for Mexican food for nearly 20 years, it is no longer around.  Lot's to choose from between Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and Naperville.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

JCUStreaks70

Don't forget Dry City Brew Company in DT Wheaton next to Emmett's... I am a frequent visitor there and vouch for the Beer... Bluestreaks66 will back me up on this
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

New Tradition

Pretty cool that half the games this Saturday are about 20 minute drive apart.

With HS football over as of Saturday and the Bears playing the Cowboys Thursday night, these may be the only 2 games in the state of Illinois this weekend.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

ncc_fan

Quote from: Mugsy on December 01, 2019, 10:01:12 PM
Boys;  We're bringing in a crew from SJU Saturday and looking for a solid recommendation for pregame.

You're thoughts?

Developing.....

All joking aside, Naperville does have significantly more options.  But here are some closer options:

Warren's Ale House – 1.5 miles due south of campus.  Wide range of pub food options, large selection of draft and bottled brews, reasonable number of tv's 
The Burger Social – Downtown Wheaton, awesome burgers, apps, sandwiches, draft brews
Ivy – Downtown Wheaton, slightly more upscale, American chophouse, seafood, pasta, but relaxed setting. Not sure it opens before noon.
Bricks Wood Fired Pizza – Downtown Wheaton, not your Chicago style pizza, but good wood fired pizza's in casual setting
302 Wheaton – Downtown Wheaton, recently opened with burgers and large selection of craft beers
Emmett's Brewing Company – Downtown Wheaton, pub food, large selection of draft and bottled brews, a bit higher priced
Buttermilk – 4 or so miles south of Wheaton (half way to NCC), outstanding breakfast options
Augustino's Rock and Roll Deli – 3 miles north of campus, outstanding, made to order deli sandwiches

USee mentioned Front Street Cocina. While great option for Mexican food for nearly 20 years, it is no longer around.  Lot's to choose from between Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and Naperville.
Given the 12 noon kickoff, perhaps the most important criterion is an early opening time.  I suspect that many establishments on Mugsy's list open at 11 am, so here's one more option:

Old Town Pour House on the north side of Naperville opens at 10 am on Saturdays.  It's close to the hotels on the I-88 corridor and is a 15 minute drive from McCully Stadium (or 15 min from Benedetti-Wehrli stadium, should you opt for the NCC-DelVal game). 

izzy stradlin

Quote from: New Tradition on December 01, 2019, 11:50:41 PM
Pretty cool that half the games this Saturday are about 20 minute drive apart.

With HS football over as of Saturday and the Bears playing the Cowboys Thursday night, these may be the only 2 games in the state of Illinois this weekend.

It's really too bad they can't stagger the start times.  I'd be at both games for sure.   

Mugsy

Quote from: ncc_fan on December 01, 2019, 11:52:31 PM
Quote from: Mugsy on December 01, 2019, 10:01:12 PM

You're thoughts?

Developing.....

Given the 12 noon kickoff, perhaps the most important criterion is an early opening time.  I suspect that many establishments on Mugsy's list open at 11 am, so here's one more option:

Old Town Pour House on the north side of Naperville opens at 10 am on Saturdays.  It's close to the hotels on the I-88 corridor and is a 15 minute drive from McCully Stadium (or 15 min from Benedetti-Wehrli stadium, should you opt for the NCC-DelVal game).

Agreed, likely most of these places may not be open until game time.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Gregory Sager

You can try Ivy in downtown Wheaton, it's a nice spot with a good bar. There is Front Street Cocina, great Mexican food and drinks. For any more than that you will have to ask Mugsy or thunderdog. Those guys know all the local haunts better than me. Sager probably also knows.

Me? Why would I know? I live in Chicago. When I go to a sports contest at Wheaton -- which is far less often these days, what with my expanding broadcasting responsibilities -- I come in on the Metra as close to game time as possible, and leave immediately thereafter on the first train back. The town gives me the heebie-jeebies.

The last time that I entered any sort of food or beverage establishment in Wheaton was when my good friend the late Dave Lawrenz (a director of development at Wheaton who posted on d3boards.com under the moniker "Wheaton C") took me out for coffee once after a Wheaton basketball game, because my train was delayed. And Dave passed away eight years ago.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gryfalia

I could only tell you places to eat from 28 years ago, the vast majority of which are gone now.  Now if it were IWU at home (since I live in Bloomington now) I could give some advice.

But if you hit Chicago and don't go to a real pizza place...well..missed opportunities.  Portillo's is good too for Italian Beef and other Chicago favorites and I assume there's still one on North Ave.

Gregory Sager

I doubt that the Johnnies fans will go anywhere near Chicago. Too far away. They'll just be in Wheaton to see the game; I doubt that few are planning to drive into the city and make a weekend of it. Might be another matter if the Vikings were playing the Bears at Soldier Field or something, but they're not.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell