lefrakenstein

Quote from: walzy31 on December 10, 2011, 05:07:16 PM
Quote from: JustAFan on December 10, 2011, 04:01:57 PM

Ticket: $0
Parking: Illegal, but free
Nachos: Free
Hot dog: Free
Popcorn: Free

Great atmosphere in Cousens today. I will go back for more games this season.

All I can say is, be careful parking in Medford. I got a violation notice mailed to me just yesterday from a ticket I got there like 6 years ago. No idea how they found my address. And they never forget...

I'm excited for the Brandeis game tonight, although the law exams will have me too weighed down with studying to watch. Hope Toomey plays.

Hugenerd

Toomey appears to be out.

Amherst is down 4 at the break.

7express

54-46 Brandeis 9:54 left.

Brandeis up 10 (58-48) 8:20 left.  There's still a lot of time, but Amherst is starting to get in that "danger" territory now, they can't afford to fall any further behind then they already are.

62-50 6:00.  They've got to get it within 10 with under 3 minutes left to have a chance, imo.

68-56 1:36 left.  Looks like it's going to be their first loss of the year.

76-61 final Brandeis hands Amherst first loss.

Hugenerd

Looks like Walzy's 'Amherst would have beaten either team by at least 14' talk put the jinx on Amherst as they fall by 15, and to a team that wasn't even 0.500 to begin the night. Walzy, would you classify them as an elite team based on this performance? I still think they are, but if we are judging teams based only on single games, than you may classify them otherwise.

amh63

As others have reported earlier.....Brandeis blows out Amherst by 15.  Had to follow on livecast since the video and audio feel was not coming through.  Must be due to the moon events tonight.  Anyway, Brandeis outplayed and outshot Amherst.  The point difference could be easily explained by the 5 more 3-point shots made by Brandeis.  Brandeis shot around 70% from the 3 point line and over 50% from the field.  Amherst barely made 30% overall from the floor.  Aaron T. did not play but that is no excuse for a team that looked like a car running on 3 wheels.  The Judges were the better TEAM tonight.  Two senior starters in Waller and Barrise disappeared tonight. 
Amherst had a slight edge in rebounds, more steals and more TO's.  I believe that Amherst did not want to play defense tonight and Brandeis did.  Layups were missed inside and when the outside shots didn't fall, Amherst just seemed to give up.  The bench tried but contributed little.  Kalema, Workman and Holmes were basically the offense.
Barrise the last few games has not hit anything from outside, it seems....and Waller seems to go through the motions at times on offense and even defense.
Amherst needs to regroup and maybe retool a bit.  Toomey is a vital part but it is the coaches that needs to prepare for the times when they miss a starter, etc..  Amherst has one more game on Tues. at home.  If they do not improve in that game, I think a major shakeup is needed.  The seniors are NOT as a group performing well enough to deserve the time they are getting on the floor.

walzy31

Quote from: Hugenerd on December 10, 2011, 08:42:01 PM
Looks like Walzy's 'Amherst would have beaten either team by at least 14' talk put the jinx on Amherst as they fall by 15, and to a team that wasn't even 0.500 to begin the night. Walzy, would you classify them as an elite team based on this performance? I still think they are, but if we are judging teams based only on single games, than you may classify them otherwise.

Touche

walzy31

Quote from: walzy31 on December 10, 2011, 11:29:32 AM
Saturday December 10th Spread

Amherst 61 @ Brandeis 76
Amherst -14.0 (Brandies Covers +29)
O/U: 155.5 (Under +18.5)

ac08 with a tough day betting.

Tough one for Amherst, but have to tip your cap to Brandeis' 3pt shooters who were hot all night (#1 and #10 didn't miss in the second half...5-5 I think). Some were deep and all were big shots. The silver lining for Amherst is that Middlebury Head Coach Jeff Brown was there and couldn't have gotten too good of a look at Amherst without Toomey and with some off shooting nights by others.

ac08

Quote from: walzy31 on December 10, 2011, 09:20:05 PM

ac08 with a tough day betting.

.... not my best work.

I begrudgingly tip my hat to the Judges.

Old Guy

This is an especially hard week I think for teams to play on the road, the last week of class when major assignments are due,  the most demanding week of the semester. The home court advantage is especially telling: players don't have that travel time, can spend it in the library if they need to. They can relax, enjoy familiar routines. Playing at home is just that, at home.

Students are tired this week. I went in the Library tonight at Middlebury and it's packed - Saturday night. I argued a couple of years ago that I thought the home court advantage in NESCAC might be greater than in some other conferences because of the academic rigor of the colleges. Athletes are given no quarter. Faculty don't care if you have a long bus ride and a contest - deadlines are deadlines: stay up all night if you have to. Some found my position so much elitist snobbery and I can understand that. I didn't mean to suggest there weren't other any rigorous schools and conferences.

But I'm not surprised this week if a very good team goes on the road for a tough game and performs not at its best.

howardjp

Quote from: Old Guy on December 11, 2011, 12:56:17 AM
This is an especially hard week I think for teams to play on the road, the last week of class when major assignments are due,  the most demanding week of the semester. The home court advantage is especially telling: players don't have that travel time, can spend it in the library if they need to. They can relax, enjoy familiar routines. Playing at home is just that, at home.

Students are tired this week. I went in the Library tonight at Middlebury and it's packed - Saturday night. I argued a couple of years ago that I thought the home court advantage in NESCAC might be greater than in some other conferences because of the academic rigor of the colleges. Athletes are given no quarter. Faculty don't care if you have a long bus ride and a contest - deadlines are deadlines: stay up all night if you have to. Some found my position so much elitist snobbery and I can understand that. I didn't mean to suggest there weren't other any rigorous schools and conferences.

But I'm not surprised this week if a very good team goes on the road for a tough game and performs not at its best.

Good point! But let's not forget that this is the same Brandeis team, for the most part, that won their first dozen or so games last year as a mostly freshmen team, they've flailed around a bit, but there's still serious talent there. Hoping that this win, sets off another long winning streak as the team hits UAA play.

jumboland

JustAFan and Walzy 31 accurately summarized the Tufts/MIT game yesterday. No need for further exposition. Cousens was rocking. Fun atmosphere and free hot dogs. Stated attendance numbers might actually match number of attendees.  Not sure I agree with the critique of MIT talent (and not just because I'm a Jumbo homer). The big guy and the point are very good. 6'9"  with good hands and 10-12 foot jump hooks... are you kidding? Might be a little soft, but  there's no team in the 'CAC that wouldn't have him. The guard is quick and tough. Haven't seen Amherst, but have seen Brandeis and MIT and MIT gives fits to any CAC team this year. Do they play Midd? 

Hugenerd

Quote from: jumboland on December 11, 2011, 09:34:50 AM
JustAFan and Walzy 31 accurately summarized the Tufts/MIT game yesterday. No need for further exposition. Cousens was rocking. Fun atmosphere and free hot dogs. Stated attendance numbers might actually match number of attendees.  Not sure I agree with the critique of MIT talent (and not just because I'm a Jumbo homer). The big guy and the point are very good. 6'9"  with good hands and 10-12 foot jump hooks... are you kidding? Might be a little soft, but  there's no team in the 'CAC that wouldn't have him. The guard is quick and tough. Haven't seen Amherst, but have seen Brandeis and MIT and MIT gives fits to any CAC team this year. Do they play Midd?

Nope, MIT plays their last non-conference game next week against Wheelock. Would have to be in the tourney.

amh63

I was upset in my last post.  After reading the Sunday paper and seeing a picture of a 5-year girl  deciding on what headstone to put her wreath on  in Arlington, Va., I again realize that Amherst's BB game is just that, a game. There are other things that are more significant in the world, at home. 
I must go to more live games....watching online, I miss many things and often make wrong conclusions.  However, it does provide amusing "quotable" comments from broadcasters, especially student announcers.  Old Guy's post about the announcer calling a team "Bearcats" in the Bowdoin-Colby game, I believe.  I propose that posters put on this board the most unique announcers phrase that they hear this season.....ones that will meet the standards of this board of course.  Or, an observation from a live game.
I will start with one from the Amherst student BB announcers during a game.  The announcers, I believe, are upperclassmen and seems to be star football players to a degree.  Anyway these passionate broadcasters and somewhat "homers" were reading the audience sportsmanship/behavior notice.  They read it and paused a bit and both announcers concluded and decided it did NOT pertain to them...since the word broadcasters was not on the notice.  If these announcers are on the air when you watch an Amherst BB webcast, you are forewarned.
I am more rational today and realize that Amherst's Hall of Fame Coach to be will able to figure it out over the holidays, that missing players will return and the team will focus on one game at a time.  Oh yes, and that the seniors on the team maybe well into their honor theses by the time the conference games come around.  I also remember that it is the conference games ahead that will determine Amherst's chances to get into the post season with some possible home court advantages.

jumpshot

A genuine tip-of-the-hat (or karma) to amh63 for retracting his completely inappropriate comments.

jayhawk

Need to be patient with Amherst. Freshman Ray Barry was recruited to be back-up point guard and 2 guard. He is a very fine player but has been injured and has not suited up.  David Kalema has done a fine job as point guard but is learning his way . Once Aaron Toomey went down Amherst was down two point guards. Often in situations like this other players get opportunities.   Allen Willamson got more playing time but had off night. Joe Mussachia , who is a freshmen, is extremely talented- with Coach Hixon freshmen often don't get much playing time unless there is big gap. Look for  him in the future.
Hopefully Aaron will be back and possibly Ray Barry